Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Darnell Biber midget sub  (Read 15275 times)

Patrick Henry

Darnell Biber midget sub
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Anyone got a copy of the drawing as supplied for a Darnell Biber...scan, photocopy, original? It's mainly the rudder and dive plane instructions I'm in need of, how it goes together and connects up, etc. Photos would be great as well if possible.

All costs reimbursed, naturally...

Ta

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Darnell Biber midget sub
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:40 am »

You ought to have a chat with Kevin, who posts on here as 'Hollowhornbear' (he of disappearing sub).

He's making the same boat, and doing a good job too. He's rebuilt the conning tower from plasticard, as the Darnell one was a bit out for his liking. He's also built a cylinder for all the guts.

Also worth looking at Rick Palumbo's 1/6th scale Neder thread http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29473.0

The torpedoes should bolt straight onto the Biber, assuming it's a true 1/6th scale, and Ricks are nicely detailed as you can see in the pictures on that posting.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:13 am »

Oh ta...I'll pm him.

Rich

hollowhornbear

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:28:57 pm »

Unfortunately it is not true 1/6 scale calculates at about 1 to 5.7 scale in other words awkward.
will look out the drawings in the next few days.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »

Thanks Kev, much appreciated.

Rich

hollowhornbear

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:56 pm »

pictures for you freshly taken.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:21:49 pm »

hollowhornbear

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:24:47 pm »

some more

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:26:49 pm »

That looks very nice Kev...very nice indeed. How have you organised the internal linkages?

Here's my wtc so far...

Thanks ever so much mate, I owe you one. A large one... :-))

hollowhornbear

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:30 pm »

and a couple of the WTC

hope they help, will look out the drawings and instructions. early next week.

hollowhornbear

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

best i can do for internal links, pics wise anyway

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 03:31:44 pm »

Terrific mate, they will help a lot. It's really the internal links to the rudder and plane that I need instructions on...the rest of it isn't too bad.

Thanks again...

Rich

hollowhornbear

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

will try and sketch some thing up, you'll need a 90 degree bell crank for the dive plane.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »

Ok mate, that would be a great help...another little job for my tame engineer, by the sounds of things.

Rich

ACTion

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »

Neat installation, Mr Uggett. Just don't forget to remove the cardboard packing from around the heatsinks, and follow the instructions about not letting the pairs of heatsinks on the P93 touch each other. With that motor you could almost leave them off the ESC, but with no info on the pump current then best leave P93 alone.
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 06:34:30 pm »

Very neat installation.   :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »

Well, thank you gentlemen...most kind of you to say so.

The Action units will be left minus the cases to save room, and fear not DM...I'll not alter anything. End caps should be done tomorrow, then I crack on.

Rich

ACTion

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »

The Action units will be left minus the cases to save room
Not recommended, Richard. This will leave the copper track (underside) of the units unprotected and therefore more susceptible to short-circuiting. Only leave the cases off if you really  have no alternative.
DM

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »

Duly noted boss...perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. The units will be in the bottom of the cases, albeit trimmed down somewhat...because they are in a tube, they fit on the tray ok, but as the tube's diameter decreases at the top of it, the cases are too high and foul the tube sides. By trimming the case bottoms down a touch, I can get things to fit as in the photo. I was going to fit some of the units on the top and some under the tray, but the space underneath is reserved for the ballast tank, so that idea went out of the window.

Am I ok to stick the circuit boards into the case bottoms with double sided tape...ie, servo tape?

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 06:05:48 pm »

What will you be using to pinch off the hose from the pump, or are you using a peristaltic?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »

Nothing...and no.

It's a reversible pump...pump in/pump out.

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »

Unless the tank is vented e.g. not pressurized, the boat won't hold it's trim, as gear pumps leak and air pressure will push the water out. You'll be going up and down like a lavatory seat. If you want a simple solution get a peristaltic, that will work perfectly, but I'd recommend you also fit some sort of mechanical failsafe to avoid over pressure. The TT Neptune has pressure switch inline, which shuts the controller down once a certain pressure is reached. You can also get these from Norbert Bruggen as he uses them in his Delta sub kit.

Either that or make a small pinch valve. I passed details of small pinch valve I made for the Holland on to Kevin, it uses a small 9 gram servo, so it's small (didn't have room for normal size servo). Nigel had fitted a clippard valve originally which worked, but they're designed for gas not water, and the iron core is exposed to the water, so it was corroding.

The other option is a festo ball valve. I didn't have room for one of these, but they work very well. You have to modify the servo for 180 degree rotation and make a custom arm for the servo.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »

I'll not be needing to take on a lot of water, so the pump won't really be working under that much pressure...I've tried the system and it works very well. I'm guessing that I'll only be filling the tank to approx 1/3rd of it's capacity, so I don't really want to add technical adornments....peristaltic pumps, valves etc. At the moment...

The Biber sits pretty low in the water to start with, so I only need to submerge to decks awash and then dive the boat from there...a sort of hybrid system.

A failsafe is a good idea in case of the pump jamming in the 'on' position....I'm working on one at the moment, based on a microswitch that will be tripped if the bag overfills  and cuts the power to the pump.

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Well the Holland only has a very small ballast tank as the boat has very little freeboard, and it compresses the air into the main hull (dry hull) which is quite a large volume, so the pressure isn't high. Yet it wouldn't maintain trim at all with a partially leaking clippard valve. The bag was split too- so even less pressure!

Have you tried this system enclosed in the cylinder?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 07:28:21 pm »

Well, mine is a bag in a half round tube inside the cylinder...does that make sense?

It worked fine on bath tests....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.