Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen's build of an Armidale  (Read 62225 times)

Glenedge

Glen's build of an Armidale
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:02:19 am »

Hi all
  My name is Glen and I live in Darwin NT Australia. Im new to this forum which was pointed out to me by a friend. I am currently building an Armidale Class Patrol Boat in 1/50 scale. This will be my first running model but i have built scratch built models before. My query at the moment is, how do you decide what motors DC to put in to it?

I have purchased Raboesch 5 blade props with stainless shafts. I got these props as they are nearly identical to the real thing. So any ideas would be helpfull or do i just wack some in and hope for the best?

Glen

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Glen's build of an Armidale
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:05 am »

Peter Fitness on here has built one of these.
Try a forum search or PM him.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Glenedge

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:33:34 am »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the info. I have had a chat with Peter and seen his pics on the forum. I work at the Navy base here in Darwin so have access to ten of the real ones so there should be no problems getting details for the model.

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:59 am »

Lucky you.   Can you get the 'Powers that be' to send one to Melbourne?
I am building HMAS Ararat (as the only Victorian named one) using a 1:50 fibreglass hull from Steve Batcheldor (see his details on the forum)
There are a number of motors that are suitable.   I am trying JP Power 480's from Cornwall Model Boats.
 Hopefully they should be sufficient on 7.2v NiMh 4500Ah batteries.  (but may need larger capacity ones if they run out too quickly)
Graupner do more powerful motors, but most seem to take a much bigger current.
You are a little 'cart before the horse' getting the props before the motors since each motor, hull, prop combination is unique and a few tries with cheap plastic props are often the way to go before lashing out on brass ones.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:31:48 am »

brianB6 & Glenedge ....I am sure that many Mayhem members.......will await you Armidale Class builds  :-))...........as previously noted....

1. You have a superbly detailed Armidale Class build thread by our Peter Fitness in our archives
2. I am sure there are also brief comments & a few .jpgs of an Armidale on the blocks ....assumed as at Darwin & yes the propellers are prototypical of the Raboesch 5 blade model versions

Good luck to you both  :-)) .....Derek

PS....brianB6....may only be a parallax photography error & I see the two motors are not secured down yet........but they appear to be both facing toward each other @ the comm end........are the prop shafts parrallel to each other on the real vessel? :D
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Glenedge

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:50:05 am »

Hi brianB6

I bought the props originally to put in my other 1:50 static model that is all out of balsa, but after getting one of Steves hulls I was going to put them in the running model. PM me if you like I have plenty of info on these boats.

Glen

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:08:51 am »

I work at the Navy base here in Darwin so have access to ten of the real ones so there should be no problems getting details for the model.

Glen, I am absolutely green with envy. I wish I'd had that sort of access when I was building mine. I was using a series of detail photos of HMAS Armidale as reference, but decided to name mine Bundaberg, for no other reason than I have a sister and brother-in-law living in that city.

When mine was almost completed, I was horrified to discover the Bundaberg is noticeably different to Armidale, at least as Armidale was when the photos I have were taken. Apparently some modifications were made, and incorporated into other members of the class. However, it was too late to do anything about it, so I have to live with a less than accurate Bundaberg. On the plus side, my model looks great on the water, and performs extremely well. I have not long returned from our fortnightly club sailing day where Bundy once again carved up the lake :-)

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 06:25:26 am »

Hi Peter
 Good to hear Bundy running well. 14 boats were built at Austal Perth and there are 6 different hull configurations!!!!!! You should see the poor chippies here getting cradles ready to lift them. I am thinking of naming mine GLENELG but might misspell it slightly.

Would be interested to see video of it running.

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 09:54:15 am »

Six? My goodness.
I know that Armidale and later boats have different superstructures around the Bridge area and I have done a drawing of the differences, from photos, so I can build Ararat.  I am happy to send copies to builders.
Glenelg also has different engine exhausts that are very noticeable.
Derek, The motors were fixed in position on 4mm. stainless steel bolts fibreglassed into the hull but were removed so I could work on the deck and superstructure without damaging them.   The photo shows the first layer of fibreglass mat over purpose made washers to spread the load.   There is another layer over the top.
Hopefully the shafts are parallel on the full size and in my model.  %)
Mine is a slow build but I try and do a little bit each day.

brianB6

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:12:43 am »

There have been modifications over the years but Armidale is still different around the Bridge.
Mods. include 2 air intakes on port side at front of superstructure in place of 1 and TV cameras? on top of Foremast.
Perhaps Glen can provide additional information please.

Glenedge

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:30:36 pm »

Brian
 The pic i put up earlier shows the two vents you are talking about. port side fwd of the bonnet. These have been added to most of the boats now. The exhaust modifications are being added to each boat as they come out of the water for the five yearly refits.  Pic attached.
 Not sure of a tv camera on the foremast but will try to get a pic as there is a lot of other stuff hanging off the mast that is not shown in the general drawings.

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »

For Hammersley fans.
Channel 9 Melbourne has started advertising the next Sea Patrol series "coming soon"

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:11 pm »

For Hammersley fans.
Channel 9 Melbourne has started advertising the next Sea Patrol series "coming soon"

And it will be the last series.  <:( <:(

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 03:22:59 am »

Hi Peter
 Forgot to mention Bundaberg has been in town since christmas so she now has the new exhaust mod fitted. I will try and put a pic up later.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 08:45:50 am »

For you Peter

I believe it reprsents the bundy area IE: the crossed cane knives and sugar cane stalks wrapped around.

Glen

Martin13

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:08 am »

Ahhhh!!

TF72 strikes again :-))

Mdu

brianB6

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:57 am »

If Bundy is short for Bundaburg what are the nick names of the others?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »

Brian, Bundy is the nickname for the city itself, so I am guilty of referring to the boat that way as well. Even the famous Bundaberg rum is almost exclusively called Bundy rum.

Glen I downloaded the Bundaberg crest from the Navy's web site, then printed it on to decal paper from my computer. All the crests of the class can be obtained as GIF images here http://www.navy.gov.au/HMAS_Bundaberg

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:21:55 am »

I am wondering what the present H.M.A.S. Ararat in called.
According to the RAN, the original H.M.A.S. Ararat was named after the Victorian town and was one of sixty Australian Minesweepers (commonly known as Corvettes). Commissioned on 16 June 1943, she became known by her crew as “the Ark” because of Mount Ararat’s association with Noah’s Ark which was displayed on her crest.
However I think the real crews name for her was "The Rat"  %% since there is a book written in 1992 "The Rat: H.M.A.S. Ararat 1943 - 1945"   Author: Gordon Broom.
"Ratty" 'Wind in the Willows'? or just "Rat"?

Glenedge

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

Hi Brian

Although a new class they all keep the nickname "The Rat" ARARAT

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 09:04:11 am »

Hi all

Shafts in finally.  Been doin alot of work on upper deck fittings till i can get some motors

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:22 am »

Looking good  :-))
She will beat 'the Rat' to the water.  :embarrassed:
Have you decided what to call her?

ACTion

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 11:52:12 am »

Glen
The JP Power 480 is an electric flight motor which runs at 17000RPM with no load. This is VERY fast for a non "fast electric" application, especially with the heavy load of five-blade props. You run the risk of drawing excessive current (>10A per motor) and quickly burning out the motors. Just as a comparison, my 1/40 scale HMCC Sentinel prototype has two pretty sedate 545 motors running 5-blade Prop Shop brass props through Graupner gearboxes. Holds a very scale-like speed.
Can you tell us what diameter the props are, please? Also how long is a 1/50 Armidale?
DM

Glenedge

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »

Hi Brian
I am thinking of calling her GLENELG as thats my name front and back!!

Hi ACTion the props are 30mm diameter, I got these to put on the static model i am building bbut thought i would give them a go on the running model. The model  is 1.1M long on a fibreglass hull I got from Steve in Wagga Wagga.
 :-))
Glen

brianB6

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »

Glenelg has been added to the names register topic:-
Armidale Class Patrol Boat - Names Register in Warships, Navy, Miltiary
What is Steve going to call his and does anyone know of any more 1:50 scale Armidale names?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.