Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen's build of an Armidale  (Read 62230 times)

brianB6

Re: Glen's build of an Armidale
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 12:00:12 am »

Hello ACTion
From what you say I might have to change the motors from the 480's but I did not allow much room for bigger ones.   I bought them to try in a fast launch but did not use them in the end.   Can you suggest what props to use even if they are not to scale please?

Trooper63

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:45 am »

Hi Glen,

I'll hopefully be following you up on a build.  I envy you having the access,  I knew one of the skippers, and got a tour with lots of photos in Cairns about four years ago.  But the under water was what has always eluded me.  How do Steves hulls compare to the real ones?

I have one of Allans 1/72 hulls, but that was too small, so have decided on a 1/50.  I hope to follow you and the others here.

Do you think a balsa sheeted hull would be too light?  I get enjoyment doing a comlete scratch build.

nick_75au

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 06:10:24 am »

How long is the 1/72 hull, I wouldn't mind a crack at that :-)

Balsa is fine for a sheeted hull, I epoxy and fibreglass (light weight cloth) over my 1.2 metre Axe Bow and its more than strong enough.

To use the 480's John Darke has a gearbox that fits those motors and gives a 2:1 2:5 1and 3:1 ratio.

Nick

Glenedge

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:04 am »

The 1:72 that you can get from Alan Pew is about 76cm long. I have one of those on the shelf that my Dad reckons he will do when ever he moves back up here.

ACTion

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 08:46:04 am »

Can you suggest what props to use even if they are not to scale please?
Brass 5-blade props are more expensive than most small motors, and it would perhaps spoil such a beautiful model to hang the wrong props underneath. I wouldn't recommend going above a 25mm dia prop for the 480 motors.
I estimate the model to be around 45" x 8", so you could think about fitting Mabuchi 555 motors and use the props you already have (whose size we still don't know - maybe 30mm or 35mm?). The alternative, as Nick says, may be to contact JD in Queensland and obtain a couple of his offset gearboxes to suit the 480s. PM me if you need his details.
DM

nick_75au

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:25 am »

The 1:72 that you can get from Alan Pew is about 76cm long. I have one of those on the shelf that my Dad reckons he will do when ever he moves back up here.

More than big enough, I've got an RC 1:72 Schnellboat with 3 motors, Its considerably smaller :}

Nick

Trooper63

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:17 am »

Happy to pass on my APS 1/72 hull for a muchly discounted price if it means someone will use it.  I can't even recall what Alan sells them for.

brianB6

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:51 am »

Because the hull has mostly flat shapes you might be better off with 1.5 mm. or so ply rather than balsa.

Trooper63

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »

What about plastic card?  I've always thought about simulating welds using heat.

brianB6

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »

Well there are plenty of 'vac formed' hulls on the market but generally not the size you are thinking of.
It might depend on the framework you are putting it on and the gluing methods needed.
Don't buy the small sheets from the hobby shop, you will need to cover the hull in one length per "flat" and fake the joints.   Have a good look at photos to see where they are but some of them are pretty difficult to see so is it worth the effort?
I bought 900 x 1800 x 0.75 thick from a signwriting firm quite cheaply.

Glenedge

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:10 am »

Hi all
 Been tinkering some more. Got stern tubes in with A frames and more work on the aft mast.  :-)  NO motors yet.

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:57 am »

Looking good!  :-))

Trooper63

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:23 pm »

Glen,

What are the exhaust mods you mention?  Any pics or details?

I'd be interested to hear what you thought of the balsa hull that you started.  I'm thinking of going that way myself.  Any issues?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 03:54:15 am »

I can't see why balsa wouldn't be suitable for the hull, provided it was toughened with fibreglass or resin. One of our club members builds 8 foot long battleship hulls from balsa, and they are standing up well to lots of use.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 04:23:19 am »

Remember it's also used by those who use BB's to sink each others ships.  >>:-(
They are not allowed to use fibreglass.  <*<

Glenedge

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 04:41:45 am »

Hi sean

The exhausts got extended as per the pic. My balsa model has every frame in it so is very strong but not good for running. I had some problems skinning the bow section but it is now on the back burner till i get this other one running.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 08:34:25 am »

Hi Sean

Heres a better pic of the exhaust mods.

Brian,
 the drawing you sent of the exhaust grille now makes sense as having a closer look today the original extruded louvres are still there and as you say are inside the flange. the additional pieces added on do protrude out from the flange as in the pic. The matter of water getting in is easy, It dont. Because of the positioing of the original louvres the water will need to run uphill to get passed, so any water drains off outside on the additional pieces added.
  Clear as mud Hey?

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:19 am »

I didn't know the Yarra flowed through Darwin.  {:-{

For the uninitiated, it flows through Melbourne and is cleaner on the bottom than the top, so 'they' say. %%

Glenedge

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 09:22:52 am »

We have the Adelaide River up here, Never in 12 years have i seen it clean. Thats why they have all the jumping crocs there cause they cant even see underwater. %%

Trooper63

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:15 am »

Sounds like cape York.  A mate was bitten on the head several years ago by a croc.  But us qld coppers are thick skulled.

Glenedge

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 05:35:02 am »

Hi All
 been working on the engine room exhaust plus the engine exhaust mods. Need some more material for the generator exhausts and supports. IM happy so far.:-)

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 07:41:51 am »

Hi all
rudders in finally if they look off angle I dont care.

Glen

Trooper63

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 08:12:01 am »

Off angle?

I know quite often on twin screw boats the rudders are not aligned with the shafts for a couple or reasons.

Maybe it's my eyes, they look good to me Glen.

Glenedge

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »

You are right there, the rudders are not on the same line as the shafts so that they can remove the shafts without removing the rudders. Seen it done a few times here when they have stuffed the shaft bearings.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 08:39:09 am »

Hi all
 Can get hold of Johnson motors here in Darwin easy, they are the 785LPs. Still waiting to see if the hobby shop here can get a dual ESC that peter mentioned. Will these be OK!!!! or will I be screaming across the harbour?   

Thoughts???

Glen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.