Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen's build of an Armidale  (Read 62226 times)

brianB6

Re: Glen's build of an Armidale
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 10:42:59 am »

Not sure if you really need independent control of each motor.
OK it makes it much easier to go round a steering course but unless you are constantly manoeuvring at low speed it does not make a lot of sense to me.
Of course you could install the proper bow thruster that would do the same thing in a prototypical manner.
I prefer to stick to the K.I.S.S. principal and use only one ESC.
Action and Mtronics (try Float a Boat) both do a suitable one.

Trooper63

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:47 pm »

Glen,

For what it is worth I plan to run independent engine controls only because of my real world experiences.  As Brian has suggested it will only be used a small percentage of the time, but hey, being able to split the sticks is my cup-a-tea.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »

Glen, the ACTion P94 dual ESC I used is only available from ACTion Electronics in the UK. Contact the proprietor, Dave Milbourn and he will be only too happy to assist you.

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 10:27:21 am »

Hi peter

Thanks for the info, not sure which way to go yet    {:-{ 

Have some Johnson motors to fit soon Maybe, been working on some structure detail in the mean time. latest pic
  Have got the stern tubes in with A frames, Props and shaft seem to spin fairly freely know, second attempt  :-))
 Some control gear next.

Where did you did get your bowthruster??? Floataboat have one but it is a paddle wheel type???

Glen

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 12:51:39 am »

Glen, my bow thruster is a paddle type made by Raboesch and I bought it from Redbank Models in the UK. However, I read some posts recently which seem to suggest that Redbank Models may have ceased trading which, if true, is a shame as they were excellent to deal with. The bow thruster works very well.

I am thinking of giving my Armidale a refit and incorporating some of the later features of the class, including the modified exhausts. Any details would be much appreciated O0 When I will actually do the refit is up in the air at present, as we are going to move back to our farm sometime this year, plus I am booked in for a knee replacement on June 10, so will be out of action for a while.

Peter.

PS Perhaps the reports of the demise of Redbank Models were a bit premature. I have just read the thread again, and it seems that they are still trading, but having problems with their website and emails.

Glenedge

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2011, 06:51:11 am »

Hi peter

Found a Raboesch bowthruster from Floataboat so will get it and see how it goes. Just finished installing the motors with a single ESC and run it in the spa.  :-)). I want to put in 2 ESCs plus the bowthruster. Steering gear seems to work as well. Looking forward to getting it in a mates dam, only waist deep if things go wrong!!!

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

Got some ESCs today from floataboat.  :-) Looking at running the motors individually plus a third ESC for the bowthruster. ;)  The paperwork that came with the ESCs explains about the receiver power so things are starting to make sense. One battery to supply the motors, another to supply the bowthruster and receiver as this battery wont get worked as hard!!! That should work?

Glen

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 12:28:25 am »

Glen, do you know if Bundaberg has had the exhaust modification done?

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 08:46:46 am »

Hi peter

Bundaberg had the exhaust mods done over christmas while she was out of the water here in Darwin.

Glen

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:29 pm »

Thanks, Glen.

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 08:30:49 am »

Taking her out for test run in a mates dam tomorrow   :-)) Bowthruster not fitted yet.  Fingers crossed all works.

Glen

Trooper63

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2011, 11:15:11 am »

Got a video camera?  Very exciting!

Glenedge

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 09:25:46 am »

Hi all
 had a play in a mates dam, all worked well. DIDNT go as fast as I thought. :-( But still tuning things.

The yachet in the background has been moored up there for several years so maybe Hutch seeing my boat may stir him up to get it going again.

glen

Trooper63

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 05:50:22 am »

Looks good. 

Does it need some weight aft?

Do you think you'll get scale speed ok?  I'm interested to see if your prop/motor arrangement is the way to go for me.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51:18 am »

Judging by the photo, the waterline aft looks OK, given that a fair amount of gear has to be fitted on the after deck. This includes the 2 RIBs, their davits and other assorted items, as seen in this early shot of HMAS Armidale.

The port RIB is in the water, as it was being used during this visit to Sydney.

Peter.

Glenedge

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:08 am »

Scale speed???? It seems to go alot faster than scale but have a new transmitter that i can program, need to slow down in reverse before i put the deck under. :-)
Sean i have used two Johnson 780lp  motors with couplings direct to the shafts, 30mm 5 blade props and two viper 40A ESCs. I have another ESC forward for when the bowthruster shows up. This week hopefully.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2011, 06:52:37 am »

Got the bowthruster in. Raboesch like you said Peter. It works a treat in the spa. :-) Have some video of it but it seems too big to load up?

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 09:23:58 am »

Hope this works. Just a short clip of the boat in the spa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXE8OD_5wj4

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:05 am »

Yes, worked a treat.
I will have to visit Float a Boat and buy a Bow Thruster.

Glenedge

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »

Hi all
Without owning a lathe or such has anyone got some idea how i can make the refraction dish on the midship mast?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 12:41:20 am »

Glen, I made the one on Bundaberg by first cutting 2 circles of 1mm styrene sheet to the required diameter, then forming a cone from very thin styrene. I sat the disc inside the cone and glued it using solvent and, after it was thoroughly set, trimmed the thin styrene flush at the bottom and to the required height on the upper side. I made 2 of these then glued them together, back to back. An alternative would be to use brass sheet, but it would need to be thin to keep the weight down.

If I was going to do it again though, I would probably use my lathe and turn it up from aluminium.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2011, 01:04:48 am »

Hi Glen
I am thinking of trying brass since I like the material.   Soldering the various aerials on will be stronger than glue.
I have some 0.3 mm. sheet.   The circle should be easy enough and I will try and make a wooden cone, or 2, as formers for the rims.
Many years ago I had a small muffler formed up professionally in spun aluminium (or aluminum as the spell checker wants to call it.) but I do not know how thin a material one could turn.
Why did I get rid of my lathe?  <:(

nick_75au

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:13 am »

Many years ago I had a small muffler formed up professionally in spun aluminium (or aluminum as the spell checker wants to call it.) but I do not know how thin a material one could turn.

You need to move over to Firefox and get this

Cheers
Nick

brianB6

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:16 am »

I have used Firefox for a long time.   That's not the problem.
It's the spell checker on Mayhem!  {:-{
I am still looking for a good English - Strine dictionary for use in orztrilia   ok2
We still keep the "I" in orztrilia but maybe the Ameracans should investigate putting the one back in aluminium  <*<

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2011, 11:38:06 pm »

I think it was Neville Chamberlain who said "England and America are two countries divided by a common language" :-)

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.