Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Glen's build of an Armidale  (Read 62232 times)

brianB6

Re: Glen's build of an Armidale
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

Thanks for the information Circlip.
Acetone is easy enough to obtain, but the place I purchased the perspex from wanted to charge $11 for a tiny bottle of MEK so I use superglue for fixing unless I need to ensure it remains clear  or tinted since superglue turns perspex and styrene white.  See the bottom 3 angles on the louvre photo which were grey styrene.

sjbatche

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2011, 12:18:45 pm »

Hi Glen

Just some thoughts on making your windows. For my 1:72nd scale Armidale I used thin clear acetate sheet cut to the outside dimensions of the window frames. I then masked the parts that I wanted to remain clear and painted the sheet black. The inside of the bridge area was painted dark grey. Once the masking was removed the windows were glued onto the outside of the bridge.  When all of the windows were fitted it gave the illusion that the clear areas were tinted. This worked for me and seemed to give a realistic affect. The diagram below shows the window sections from one side, the white areas were the parts that were masked prior to painting.

I have also been working on some bits and pieces for my 1:50 scale Armidale. The pictures below show the components that I have made so far. My plan is to mould these items as I complete them in the near future.

Regards

Steve

Glenedge

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2011, 08:55:29 am »

Hi Steve
 Thanks for the info on the windows, I have put the smoked plastic on the inside like the pull down screens on the boat and will try your way with the clear plastic outside. %%  Would still be interested in getting a gun and Rhibs off you too Steve. :-))

Brian
Here is a couple pics of Ararats fxle for you

brianB6

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2011, 10:17:25 am »

Thanks Glen
Looks as if she needs some work doing to the anti slip decking.
I suppose I could incorporate it as weathering!  %%

Glenedge

« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:23 am »

Hi brian

Typical of aluminium if not prepared properly, note the customs boats are not painted.  ;)   received the parcel today thankyou.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2011, 09:49:30 am »

Plodding along, more basin trials. Need to find somewhere close to do sea trials.   :-)

brianB6

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2011, 12:23:53 pm »

Coming along nicely.
Darwin Harbour might be a bit crowded and I hear there are crocs. there as well.   Might just get eaten!
First try for the refraction disk in brass.   The calculations from the rocket web site appear to work but there is some distortion so I will try with thicker material.

sjbatche

« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

Glen and Brian

Hi guys

I have made a start on moulding a couple of bits for the 1:50th Armidale. The photo shows the first gun and some bollards pulled from the moulds earlier today. I am slowly working on some of the other parts. When I have a few parts ready to go I will let you know.

gwa84

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:05 am »

hi could you show haw you do your molds

sjbatche

« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2011, 11:57:47 am »

Hi gwa84

In the next few weeks I will be moulding some more parts. As I go through the process I will take some photos and then post them so that you can see the way that I go about moulding bits and pieces.

I can give a short explination for now.

The gun parts and the bollards in the photo were all done in simple single piece moulds as follows. The grey gun is the master which has been built up from styrene and painted. The master was then stuck to a square base of styrene sheet using double sided tape. Styrene walls were then glued to the base creating an open top box, this can be seen in the background. Silicon rubber (blue in this case) is then mixed and poured into the box covering the master. This rubber is left to set for 24 hour or more. Once the rubber has set the box is dismantled and the master is carefully removed from the rubber mould.

The rubber that I have used is quite flexible with a high tear strength so even complex parts can be moulded in a single piece mould. In Australia this particular rubber is known as Ultrasil.

To make the white casting I have used a slow setting polyurethane resin. It has a pot life of 20 minutes and can be removed from the mould after six hours. The resin is mixed and poured into the mould and allowed to set. After six hours the casting can be carefully removed from the mould by stretching the rubber a little. It all sounds pretty easy but there is a bit more to it really.

I have been using a home made vacuum chamber to de-air the rubber when making the mould and the resin when making the casting to ensure that all of the air bubbles are removed. This gives a much better outcome than just mixing and pouring into the mould.

I will give a bit more detail after I take some photos.

I hope that this helps for now

Regards

Steve

brianB6

« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:37 pm »

I would like to see how you made your vacuum chamber.
My wife does sculptures, among other art works, and has cast them in plaster.   She has not attempted silicone moulds but they should give much better results than she has had so far.

sjbatche

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

Hi Glen

I have cast a few more bits for the Armidale this week. Next on the list are the RHIBs.

GWA84

I have taken a few photos of how I have moulded some bits and pieces and placed them onto a couple of pages on my web site. One page shows the moulding process and the other page shows my vacuum chamber. Hopefully these pages will answer your earlier question.

http://members.dodo.com.au/~sjbatche/resin_casting.htm

http://members.dodo.com.au/~sjbatche/vacuum_chamber.htm

Steve

gwa84

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »

verry good thatks should help alot  :-))

Glenedge

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:43 am »

Emergency generator compartment vent!!  It looks a bit rough but think i can get it looking better.    :-))

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2011, 10:44:45 am »

Coming along nicely.
At least you have covers and hinges which is more than "The Rat" has at the moment. (Post 119)

Glenedge

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2011, 09:31:58 am »

Hi Brian
 Looking forward to seeing your latest drawing. Here is a pic of a hatch i tried.  :}
Looks abit rough but it suits me.  %%

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:06 am »

Hi Brian

Got your drawing thankyou. Been working on some hatches and bits, heres the latest pic.

Glen

brianB6

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2011, 01:33:21 am »

Hi Glen
Like the hinges.  At the moment mine do not have the bottom part of the hinge.  I thought 3 x 3 mm. for the top part was small enough.   {:-{   I will put the handles on after they are painted.
I have had a lot of fun with the refraction disk and the rest of the main mast.   That's what it is all about.  %%
The disk is not up to the standard of yours but has turned out quite reasonable after a lot of work.
What is the aerial on the top of the mast?

Glenedge

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2011, 05:49:04 am »

Hi Brian
The arial on the very top is warlock, not completely sure about warlock but think it is just a directional radio receiver.
The one under it is the pic you have up, it is prism 3 another directional finder, but radars i think.
I have just been told here at work that they are going to be removed soon as no longer viable.

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2011, 09:07:56 am »

Hi Brian

Hope this pic helps :-)

Trooper63

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »

I'm so glad you are leading the way on this.  It is very helpful and informative.

brianB6

« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »

Hi Glen
Back to the drawing board.  :((
The mountings look a bit different from the one I drew up and made yesterday.  <:(

Minime

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2011, 11:43:54 pm »

Great job on the models guy's, they really are spectacular. Ever since I started watching sea patrol I've loved the look of these vessels. I've been planning on doing a 3d version of the armidale class, but haven't been able to find much material. Would any of you be able to help me out? Thinking a photo of the plans or something like that.

brianB6

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:37 pm »

If you are thinking of computer renderings, there are already some on the web of Armidale.
If you want to build one, Steve Batcheldor a.k.a. sjbatche, has plans and a 1:50 fibreglass hull for sale and I have done some detail drawings. (send a pm)
Allan Pew also does a 1:72 hull.
Not sure how you would go for postage though.

Minime

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2011, 11:56:29 pm »

already in the middle of a build. Although I'd like to make a real model, that would just be too expensive right now, so I'll have to do with a 3d model.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.