Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first RC build......Ranzow  (Read 5250 times)

pupjoint

My first RC build......Ranzow
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:11:41 pm »

As said in title this is my first build of an rc boat and after reading up about it, after I bought it I might add  %%, I'm glad I like a challenge. Progress so far is pretty slow as the instructions are lacking in the adequate info department and I'm having to read it 2/3 times and refer to pics on plans. I'm referring to a website of someone else's build as well just to double check I did read it correctly or have assembed it right.

After unpacking it all twice  O0 I finally decided to make a start on it on Sunday (02/01/2011) and here's the pictures so far..........

[imghttp://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z260/vtrfirestorm/Ranzow%20Build%20Diary/DSC00351.jpg]http://[/img]

Removed the frame work today to give it a couple of coats of sanding sealant and hopefully get it glued back into the hull tomorrow, just have to keep fingers crossed that it is ok to glue into place as it doesn't say in instructions  :embarrassed:  {-)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first RC build......Ranzow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:33 pm »

Hi Pupjoint,

you choose your kits as I do mine it sounds - I always seem to pick kits that are for experienced modellers, which I'm not :)

I can't help with your build directly as I haven't come across that kit personally, but here are a couple of tips if I may:

1: If you are gluing wooden frames, metal or plastic (of different types) in to an ABS hull using epoxy (Araldite or similar) then I highly recommend "keying" the area inside the hull where the glue will go with 80 grit sandpaper, thus giving the glue something to grab onto. It will grab a smooth surface, but not very well and will hold a lot better after keying. This is also true for metal or plastic fittings and you can key both the metal/plastic and the hull in this case. In the hull of my Zwarte Zee, which I salvaged after it was started by someone else, I was able to remove the frames from the ABS hull very easily as it wasn't keyed.

2: As I mentioned before, I have no knowledge of the Ransow, but if the instructions for that, like my Zwarte Zee, do not have much in the way of a build order, be very careful that you leave yourself room to add other items as you go. Specifically I'm thinking of what looks like it might be a bow thruster in this hull and make sure that you have space to get it in place easily after the frames are in place. Of course you have the other build to follow which always helps :)

Good luck!
Alister

pupjoint

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:14 pm »

Cheers for the top tips Alister. Tip 1 is what I was thinking of doing and now I will definately do and as for tip 2 I'm going to check and re-check before i glue the frame in as, yes, the bow thruster is best fitted before. I chose my kits by the look of them...if I like them then I buy them  {:-{ and worry about how difficult they are afterwards.
Thanks again  :-))

pupjoint

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

Not sure what happened to photos but here they are again  :embarrassed:

pupjoint

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »

Blimey can't believe it's been 6 days since I last posted the build progress  %% So here are some more photos of what's kept me busy for the last 6 days, probably been scratching my head for 4 of those too   <:( :embarrassed:  {-)

As you can see I have just about finished all the electrics just got to fit the motors.....when I get them  :-X On order and coming from Germany so hopefully won't be to long. The 2 motors I got when I first purchased the kit turned out to be the wrong ones. The ones recommended for this boat are Graupner Speed 500E 12v, the shop was out of stock of those but had Speed 500BB in stock so I took 2. Then realised a couple of days later that the 500BB motors were 7.2v  <*< %% so went back and ordered the 500E's.

Next to install the decks and bow and stern bulwarks. More pictures once that is done, hopefully won't take another 6 days  :embarrassed:. Any hints, tips, comments or criticisms all welcome.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »

How are the kit compnents, quality etc?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pupjoint

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »

Well.....as this is my first kit build I've got/had nothing to compare it to. But so far I am pleased with the kit and it's contents. The parts seem ok to me, nice and sterdy and yes I suppose good quality. I suppose the main test of quality will be when I start to sail her and find out how it holds up. There has been a couple of near disasters though while trimming/drilling the ABS where it was really thin, which I wasn't expecting, and went at it a bit heavy handed. But managed to recover from it with a little bit of resin or filler and hopefully won't be noticed once finished.

pupjoint

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55:35 pm »

Well I can also confirm that time does fly when you're not having fun too  {:-{

Anyway here's some piccies of painted hull -

More Coffee

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:41 am »

First build?

Yer doing quite well!! :-))

tjones27

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:23 am »

I was thinking very much the same thing. i am very impressed for a first build. ive gone for something a bit easier. but i am interested to see how yours will progress.  :-))

pupjoint

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:27:27 pm »

Cheers guys.
This is my first RC build although I have built a static boat before I started this one. It was HMS Bounty's Jolly from a kit.

I did make a start on HMS Victory but wasn't impressed with the quality or the professionalism of the company doing the partworks so I cancelled at about issue 22. I then took an interest in radio controlled boats which brings me to acquiring Graupner's Ranzow kit.

pupjoint

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:28:23 am »

Hi everyone, sorry it's been a while, how are you all? Here's a couple more pictures of the paint job, the main bulk of the painting is done now just got to paint a few deck fittings and the crane.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.