Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 31 - My first boat rebuild/build project.  (Read 21203 times)

biggus ditchus

Huntsman 31 - My first boat rebuild/build project.
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »

Until recently I didnt think I wanted a boat but having been to the Ellesmere Port Boat Show with our lorries and seeing and having a try at one I had to have one, I really liked the looks of the Huntsman and managed to trade a RC monster truck for one with a mate.  

Not sure of the manufacturer all I know is its a Hunstman 31 34" and it has a fibreglass hull.  Looking at it the hull isnt in bad shape but needs lots of work, wood inside isnt strong, and the varnish on the deck is awful.   Cabin is where all the work is in my eyes, wondered about repair but the more I look at it the more I realise that a building a new cabin would be easier.

I didnt take any photos as I got it, meant to but with it sat on my workbench I had a go a the decking to start with, the thick dark varnish has basically peeled/cracked off with some help from a stanley blade, being careful not to damage wood underneath.  

A while later all the thick varnish is off and a light sanding attempted with good results..

Looking at the wood around the edge of deck im thinking of removing and then putting one back on after decking is on, would that be the way to go?  As it is now its not done neatly and if add decking on over the top there will be a step.    You will ave to excuse the newbie questions and lack of correct terms, talk to me about caster, camber etc Im ok but anything boat related im lost sorry.   Im not new to working with balsa/spruce etc I have in past built a plane from plans.  I do welcome your constructive advice, I need it.    

I do think this has good possibilities, I have in mind what I want its just how long and hard will i t be getting there.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: Huntsman 31 - My first boat rebuild/build project.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »

Hello
It will be a nice boat to bring back to life. They go really well on the water.
It is always worse before it gets any better. I got a Thames type boat on e bay at the start of last year and it was in need of a repaint, but when I striped it down it was plank on frame. Oh boy my wife said it was a waste of money but with in a few weeks i had her turned round. Now my wife loves the boat and dose not want me to get rid of it ;)
Stick with it there is loads of help here on Mayhem if you need it.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

biggus ditchus

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:24 pm »

Thanks I will stick at it and Im sure all well be well, eventually. 

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 06:27:23 pm »

they do make a good sea keeping model , for those of you that like to look at the real article the fairey owners club now have a facebook page , which has a very good photo album showing both the all models of fairey marine products ! needless to say some very detailed colour photos too ! jon

biggus ditchus

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

Cheers already got a link to the fairey owners club website and looked at photos, good reference to get on with.

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »

another good one is the george curret boat sales as he sells mostly fairey marine boats too , . decent quality fittings are a little thin on the ground for these models , so ive started making some for my own boats , including brass mooring cleats and alloy air scoops for the cabin sides . jon

biggus ditchus

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:08 pm »

Finally plucked up courage to do a bit more to boat, have sanded the hull back and the wood isnt too bad and fibreglass is in perfect shape so little work there which is a great relief to me.   The cabin on the other hand was worse than thought so the build has started, its no where near the standard many of you will achieve but Im happy with results so far, posting a couple of pics including the old cabin.

2 photos that show worst parts of old cabin

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:20:16 am »

Looking good Ritchie!

Bring it wed night, we can have a look at the prop etc, bring molegrips and a hammer , its coming out, like a bad tooth!! :} :}

Mine is STILL >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o WAITING for the replacement shaft to arrive from the supplier, spent a small fortune and it arrived bent! (with others also bent!), now been waiting a month, did you get any plans?

biggus ditchus

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:08:44 am »

Done it from eye and measuring up old cabin, not exact but its close enough.  :-))    Are u sure it needs to come out?

biggus ditchus

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »

Not worked with wood in a long time but really enjoying this, hope it turns out as well as I hope.

cliff2903

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »

looking good  :-)

bat44

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:28:57 pm »

had one of these with a Irvine 61 once, it went like stink grate fun but swapped it for anther boat, now run a fairey swordsman

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35:50 pm »

is it brushless yet bat44 ? im going to put the spear on brushless when  ive worked out which ones it needs !

aslo44

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:26 pm »

Hi biggus, have you got any further with your Huntsman rebuild yet ? Any more pics ? I'm starting a rebuild on a 47" huntsman but my decking is slightly worse than yours so a bit more work to do.
 Have you decided weather your going to move the prop, red181 said prop needed to come out ? I don't live far from Warington (Atherton) are you a member of any clubs? here are a couple of
pics of mine. Regards Alan :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:25 am »

the correct motor positions in a huntsman 31 , this one has been fitted with a pair of model motor direct 777 motors which are running on a 14 volt supply through a single electronize esc !

aslo44

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 09:09:57 am »

the correct motor positions in a huntsman 31 , this one has been fitted with a pair of model motor direct 777 motors which are running on a 14 volt supply through a single electronize esc !
Should there be a photo showing us where Jon ? My pm's must be sending you like me LoL. Alan

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »

oh s--- ! must be old age ?

this is what you should have seen !

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 12:24:05 am »

the correct motor position, is relevent to the length of the shaft, and the angle, and the point at which it exits the hull :-))

many of the old plans knocking around are for ic set up, which itself requires differences to electric set up, and again twin or single screw. There have been over the last two years a number of really nice Huntsman builds, that have failed at the last hurdle, because the builder has tried to remain loyal to the original ic plans, and the results have been an underpowered (due to the prop angle being too great) or really poor handling, as the rudder has been far too cllose to the end of the hull, or too far down the hull.

On the fairey owner website, there is some very good reference to the prop angle, and rudder position

Here you can see the prop is not in the centre of the hull, and the attitude of the propellers will propel the boat forwards, if the attitude was more of an angle, then the boat would lose forward propulsion as its driving the boat upwards (in theory!), this can then make the rear of the hull "light" and attribute to poor handling, particularly cornering at speed, something a number of builders have complained about in the past. Let me say these hulls handle beautifully, the more abuse they get, the better they go :}

you could always try this novel idea of rudder angle, this was a recent visit to Newsham Park, Liverpool, in the centre of the lake! Goodness knows what I hit, it also broke a blade off the prop and moved the shaft, luckily didnt sink %%

triumphjon

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »

your rudder angle looks familiar , ive had a couple like that myself , the worst one bent so far as i lost all movement from one blade & no blade on the second stock !  must say handling is much better on twin motors than it was on my old ic versions with a single shaft .

biggus ditchus

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:17 pm »

Well been about 2 months since my last post on here, put the Huntsman aside for a while whilst I finished a couple of my other car projects (Old Tamiyas).    Now those have been attended to its back to the Huntsman and on with the roof... not having manual (until now) I went with doing it in 4 parts front, rear and two small strips.   So far I have done the front and rear, and quite happy with it.

Think I have decided on a name for it too, my two grandkids are Jack and George (Twins) so decided on the name "JayGee"

biggus ditchus

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »

Really on a roll lately... 2 vintage cars restored, 2 others built and finished and now more work on the Huntsman..

Finished the roof filling in the gaps between front and rear, gave it a sand and looks good imo. Still got to strip paint from the hull before i can do much more.

I would like to hear your opinions, I have now managed to come by some instructions so can work on the cabin glass.

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

taking shape well . for my window frames ive been cutting the " frame " in reverse from some self adhesive silver stickers which i stick on the inside of the glass before gluing the " glass " to the cabin sides !

john44

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:07 pm »

taking shape well . for my window frames ive been cutting the " frame " in reverse from some self adhesive silver stickers which i stick on the inside of the glass before gluing the " glass " to the cabin sides !

Nice build triumphjon
When I built my Fairey Huntsman 31 I used plumbers alluminum tape ( what they use to fix lagging )to cover the window frames,
it is self adheseive and easy to work with. looking forwards to seeing photo,s of it on the water.

john

aslo44

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 11:32:01 pm »

Hi biggus, what are you using to power your huntsman and what have you decided to use for your windows ? I'm doing something similar to yours but a bit behind your stage.
I decided to plank my deck and hopefuly it will look Ok. I keep reading your thread looking for info and ideas. Alan.

triumphjon

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 07:14:05 am »

photos of on the water wont be for a little while yet , its only had a couple of " sea trials " theres still quite a bit to finish , including the front skylight , rear sliding hatch , mast internal & external lighting and deck fittings !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.