Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 31 - My first boat rebuild/build project.  (Read 21204 times)

biggus ditchus

Re: Huntsman 31 - My first boat rebuild/build project.
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:12 pm »

Hi biggus, what are you using to power your huntsman and what have you decided to use for your windows ? I'm doing something similar to yours but a bit behind your stage.
I decided to plank my deck and hopefuly it will look Ok. I keep reading your thread looking for info and ideas. Alan.

Its electric (I dont do nitro), motor is a Torpedo, I believe still not up to speed with boat stuff.   For windows I will use thin sheets of lexan but for the frames Im still a little stumped as I dont fancy the stick on idea.   Plankig would look great on deck although not sure I have patience nor ability to make it look good.
Regrds
Rich

matphoto

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 09:12:04 pm »

Can't add anything to the thread, just watching with interest. Great work up to now. :-)) :-)) :-))

cliff2903

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »

for the windows i,m planing on using .005" shim steel,- cut the inside to shape and size,- cut the outside oversize, pass through a laminator, - then finish trimming the outside (i need a bit more practise with the knife and scissors yet though :o).   

PS.    thanks Jon , the scoops arrived yesterday, I'll have a play with them in the week  :-))

the window

I got some 900 motors of fleabay, the rest of the build is going a bit slower than i hoped but its all getting there.

cliff

triumphjon

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:25 am »

glad to hear the scoops have arrived , they could probably benifit from a little more polishing and possibly given a clear coating to retain the shine ?  progress has slowed on my own 31 and stopped altogether on my spear . as you have been making your windows from shim steel what about using some litho printers sheet as this used to be alloy ( real huntsman have alloy frames ) ?

aslo44

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:59 am »

Hi Rich, have you done your window frames yet ? The reason I'm asking is, I had a walk into a shop called HOBBYCRAFT in Bolton yesterday and found some sheets of Aluminium "10 by 4 inches and .016 thick. It looks Ideal for making the frames, but they're  just under £3 each. I tried to take a couple of pics but it's hard work because of shine. Alan  :-))

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

Hi Ritchie, pity you couldn't make it wed night, that ally sheet from hobby craft looks good, and the right colour!!

For the frames I used clear plastic, from packaging like easter eggs etc! cut it out, drilled from the inside using  a tiny drill bit but not all the way through, just before it was about to cut through, this created a "bump" when viewed from the correct side. Painted in aluminium paint, the bump fills with paint and from the correct side looks darker than the rest of the frame creating the illusion its the rivet detail all around the frame, only when you run your finger around the frame you realise its not a rivet, its the mind playing tricks!! :}

Then sticked some clear plastic  behind for the window glass. I then scrounged some off cuts of window tint from the local tinting dealer, and stuck that on to "tint" the windows, then cyno'd the whole frame and glass on to the boat. Repeated the process on all side windows, as the front window has no rivets its the escape window and is different.

I do like the look of that ally sheet from hobbycraft, it would save on painting :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »

red , one small problem with your huntsman 31 window frames , they are actually screwed together with counter sunk screws not rivets , the front screen is also screwed in the same manor as the other cabin frames .

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 11:40:13 pm »

he has just said that they are smooth on the out side and give the appearance of a bolt/rivet/fastener in fact the boats where fitted out by dozens of different yards only the bare hull was supplied and so all different types of fasteners where used some where flush some slightly domed the slot would be 1/16 full size divided by 12 for 1/12 scale and you wold not see it , so what is the problem ?

Peter

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:34 am »

red , one small problem with your huntsman 31 window frames , they are actually screwed together with counter sunk screws not rivets , the front screen is also screwed in the same manor as the other cabin frames .

Mines a 28, bolts, screws, rivets, I doubt the terminology matters as long as something is there! At first glance, you would never know there is actually nothing on the outside, its a dimple from the inside and the paint creates the optical illusion. Same for the scoops, I dont really think anybody will be critical enough to comment if there is no screw slot in the bolt/rivet/screw  :}

biggus ditchus

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »

Thanks for all the useful ideas guys.   I have come up with an idea as Im never going to be able to cut the frames well enough but I can measure and draw and going to see if I can get a mate to do a CAD drawing and get them water cut out of thin alu plate  (had bits done for my cars so no reason why cant do it for boat) :-))

biggus ditchus

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 10:07:25 pm »

Started planking the deck but due to a slight monetary issue (hobby fund this month has taken a bit of a battering) I have had to put that on hold so got back to stripping the paint off hull, laborious job but will be worthwhile.

Oh and this is where I got up to with planking, just a test at moment but Im happy I think.

aslo44

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:47 am »

Hi Rich, your planking will look great as your putting the pattern in it. I didn't have the confidence to do that so just did plain, also the deck on mine wasn't exactly central and
even on both sides ( hoping it won't be seen from a distance LoL ) I'll have to keep it well away from side of lake. Anyway your build is looking good. Alan

biggus ditchus

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

Thanks fella, think its going to be a long project but fun all the same.

biggus ditchus

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 06:57:27 pm »

Project moved on a bit since last post, decking is done on one side

Then took the boat to a mates house (ModelBoatMayhem member nighttug/confucius) to reset the prop angle for electric use, cheers Andy.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 08:50:55 pm »

well done ritchie! prop angle looks way better

maybe see you some time at Taylor Park, you could see the Huntsman that is exactly like yours running :-))

biggus ditchus

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 11:11:47 am »

Finally got all the strips put onto deck and some stain, now have 2nd coat of varnish on (in pic it is still wet, I have gone for satin finish)

Paul I hope to get down to St Helens over the next couple of weekends and wednesdays (have a few weeks off from work at last)

biggus ditchus

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 10:13:40 pm »

Varnish has dried and have to say Im happy with the finish, now motor is fitted and working on servo mount for rudder I may get this in lake on wednesday for a quick test before comitting myself to painting hull.

aslo44

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:19 pm »

Well done Rich, I've fallen a bit behind with mine again. I haven't finished the interior cabin or the deck fittings but I hope to put it on the water just to see how it looks and performs.
I think it will be slow but will have to wait for a while to get anything more powerful funds are down again. Our pet dog Toby has to have a tooth out and some blood test done on
Friday, it's going to cost £250 for him but he's worth it LoL. Anyway good luck if you take yours to lake on Wednesday, it's looking good. Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »

Hi Richie,

not heard from Andy re wed night, so Huntsman could be getting its first bath on wed night!! :} followed by club 500 thrash! :-)) charge those batteries mate %%

biggus ditchus

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »

Huntsman had its test run today on 4s (14.4v) lipo with an 890kv outrunner brushless motor and had some niggling issues with prop shaft but when it did run it was quick.   Time to strip down and paint hull and finish cabin.

aslo44

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 08:16:46 pm »

Hi Rich, I've just been down to Taylor Park but there wasn't anyone there from the club that is.
I was sat there for 45 mins before I decided no one was coming LoL just got back home now
so was your first sail a good one? Alan

Ade the Blade

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »

Hello Rich how are you , i see your  also a member on here i to took the pluge  as i have rekindled my interest in boats  and like you i have a thing for wooden hulls so much more interesting than the RTR stuff i have had in the past .

I love the work you have done on the boat looks great you must let me know how the new motor performs in that hull as mine is about the same size if funds allow i hope to have mine  finnished  in 4/5 weeks we must have a day out on a lake when there both compleat .

Regards Ade.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:47 pm »

Hi Ritch, congrats on getting the Hunts wet! :}

Soz, couldnt talk the other day, gaffer was watching over me! Got to sort that prop seizing, otherwise the esc could pop, How about a new inner prop without the thread at motor end? Couple of quid from SHG at the shows bank hol weekend, and a ballrace bearing top end, ? then you can use a collet to take out the slop as we discussed? Make sure you have a washer at the back of the nut (prop end) otherwise at your high revs the nut will be backing into the bearing, all these little things get important when running fast. My mate silver solders my nuts on the shaft (ouch! {-)) so they cannot move if the prop goes loose.

I see from the pic the shaft has an oiler, did you lube the prop with oil?

Are you at lake sunday morning?

Paul

biggus ditchus

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »

Hey Ade good to see you on here, Paul I will be at lake on Sunday and intend to run the Huntsman again as it didnt get a proper test due to the nut issue.   I have an oiler in place on shaft but the innershaft is also coated in teflon grease will talk to you more about it on Sunday (hope your huntsman will be there too as I need to look over a few things.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:42 pm »

fingers crossed Rithie, looking forward to the first club500 race, and Hunts batteries on charge as we speak,

Paul
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.