Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Korts....Again!  (Read 1783 times)

sailorboy61

Korts....Again!
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »

Am building my first 'scratch' boat rather than a kit/rebuild.
Its been sat around for months but the good weather has spurred me on.
Currently at the running gear stage - and out of the chicken and egg scenario decided to put the korts in first and then match up the shafts/props.

I have a pair from MMB, and want to know how the experts attach the inner pivot support blocks to the hull. I have hopefully aligned, checked and rechecked the placement, hull on an even keel, and kort swivel pins vertical. I am planning to use epoxy to stick the block to the inside of the hull, a nice thick bed to fill in the unevenness and keep things vertical ( have steel rod through supposrt tube). Will this suffice, or is it recommended to use fiberglass to fix things in?

Not sure how the props will work out, because the korts are big the shafts will  have to be angled down rather than horizantal, hull isnt deep enough, though I do have a couple of mm clearance on the inside of the tunnel, so hopefully sufficient! Live and learn as they say.

Thanks all

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: Korts....Again!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:54 am »

I would suggest that it depends on what the hull is made of decides upon what is the most suitable type of bonding agent to use. If the hull is glass fibre, then yes, use a resin type glue. if its a plastic hull, then epoxy may be more suitable.

Also the best way Ive found to centralise the propshaft to the kort is by using a styrene [plasticard] or thin card circular disc. This is cut to the same diameter of the internal diameter of the kort, where the propeller will sit. Thereby you allow the "clearance" you need for the propeller, as this is "included" in the disc dia.

You can then fit the propeller shaft and align accordingly with your motor and mount, then bond everything in, inside the hull first. Then fit the external shaft support once all the other kit is fully dry.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.