Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Huntsman ?  (Read 13337 times)

Chevrolet

New Huntsman ?
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:25:54 pm »

Hi, Looking through my old Model Boat mags the other day came accross a picture of a boat " The New Huntsman"  page 57 March 2005,
Does anyone know anthing about it ?,  is it a kit ?

Thanks Chev

RC John

Re: New Huntsman ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:28:41 pm »

Possibly too late for you. As pointed out to you in your question about Yarmouth, the
Anglia Model Centre Gorleston http://www.angliamc.fsnet.co.uk/? is Manufacturer and Worldwide Distributor of Complete - A - Pac, Precedent and Bowman Sport & Scale
Model Aircraft & Boat kits Direct From our Factory to the Modeller
- copied from their site.
Precedent = Huntsman

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:02:17 pm »

Anyone any experience of these kits, I'm thinking about one for my next effort.......

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:38:14 pm »

The perkasa kit needs quite a lot of detailing and some of the wood is of dubious quality. I havn't seen the Huntsman.

Daryl

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

Hi,
   i built the 34" fibreglass version nice model, but made a lot of mods to it. if i could move my pictures from where thay are to this site i would post them for you,or  if i had your email i could send them to you and perhaps you could post them on here.

(me and computer not compatible)

thanks          jenno.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:27:37 pm »

Hi,
? ?i built the 34" fibreglass version nice model, but made a lot of mods to it. if i could move my pictures from where thay are to this site i would post them for you,or? if i had your email i could send them to you and perhaps you could post them on here.

? ?(me and computer not compatible)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?thanks? ? ? ? ? jenno.
Thanks, that's the one I was thinking about, feel free to send me some pictures. triumph.tiger@btinternet.com
Frank

jenno

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 01:40:51 am »

frank,
          email on its way sorry could'nt post them here.
  mark.

perkasa

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 07:24:12 pm »

I built a Perkasa from these people. I used the GRP hull. The wood parts were OK but could have been better. It was best to throw certain parts away. The gun for instance. The plans were basic and lacked a lot of information. Had it not been for advice from fellow boat builders I do not think I could have built it. Mind you this was my first model.

Pete

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 07:58:50 pm »

Your not alone Perkasa, several members of the MBC I belong to have had a go at both these kits and came to the same conclusion as you have.  The pans can be vague but the biggest winge is the quality of the wood, one member used 3/4 of the wooden pieces as templates to make new parts in much better material. Both kits can turn out very nice models if you are prepaired to put a lot of time in.

Daryl

perkasa

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 01:42:04 am »

I am glad I am not alone in what I thought. They are nice boats but produced by cowboys.

Pete.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 04:18:22 am »

The Precedent Huntsman was the first boat I ever built and I was a complete novice (not much better now) to really show you how stupid I was glued the whole thing together with Aquadere and then took it to the lake to check where to put the water line, yes you guessed it in ten minutes it was going down for the count, rescued it took it home got everything apart and used the correct glue,  had that boat for quite a few years till some one broke into my shed and stole it and several aircraft, but the timber was fine as far as I could tell, mind you this was in the late sixties I think,

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

CAD2

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 09:26:23 am »

The Precedent Huntsman started life as the Modav Huntsman (Model Avionics) in 1972. The original 1/8 and 1/11 scale kits were band-sawn from proper resin-bonded WBP plywood, and there was a full-size plan included. Later on, when Model Avionics became Balsacraft and branched out into making model aircraft kits, the Huntsman and Perkasa kits were retooled to be die-cut from liteply. This is the same material as was used for their Hi Boy etc. When Balsacraft went bust a few years back I believe the tooling for the boats was sold to Anglian Model Centre, and as far as I know is still the same as was used by Balsacraft. I'd bet the blades are a bit blunt by now!
I would hesitate to present a boat kit in liteply for fear that the usual numpties wouldn't know how to handle the stuff, especially when it comes to the correct glue and waterproofing materials and even with explicit instructions. Sorry, guys, but even yesterday at the Doncaster show I was listening to a customer at the Model Slipway stand who'd ignored the instruction manual and asked "a bloke in our club" instead. It's folk like these who can get a product an undeserved bad reputation. Incidentally, Mr Perkasa, I wouldn't call anyone a cowboy on an open forum; there are such things as libel laws. Caveat emptor, chaps.
CAD2

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 05:55:43 pm »

maybe Perkasa could produce a kit and then we could see if he could do any better always of course keeping with certain cost peramiters so that tha kit would be affordable, it is a strange but very true saying that we always find our own fault in others and the other saying is ereybodys job is simple but our own.
                                                           Cheers
                                                                Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

perkasa

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 08:33:51 pm »

hi chaps,

Bob is right I could not possibly produce a kit up to the same standard as the Huntsman or Perkasa kit. I could however add certain things to the instruction sheet to make it easier to understand. Taht is where the main problem is, I would suggest you purchase one and then you would be more qualified to make a comment like the one you did.  but I do take the point. A very respected and well known person in our hobby had commented on the instructions saying,   well I wont repeat it, but it was on the lines of what I said.

Regarding the use of the word cowboys. This was wrong and I oppologise and retract that remark. I was only using the word loosly and as it was put to me by two gentleman at a show. 

Regarding cost of producing a product. Yes tooling is very costly and if it has been used a lot it can have an effect. Actually the cutting of the ply in the kit was not the problem.

Pete

CAD2

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 08:52:58 pm »

Pete
I designed the Huntsman in 1972 and was responsible for the original plans and instructions. I was not involved in its revision and I have to say that the consequent documentation was not of a quality to which I would aspire. I told John Rudd so around eight years ago and he was in the process of completely revamping both Huntsman and Perkasa when he sadly died (in May 1999). It was shortly after that when Balsacraft folded and the rights to the boats were sold on.
I am still involved in the model industry after 34 years. If you take a look at the more recent products from a certain kit manufacturer in Barnsley then you will find examples of my current drafting work; I didn't adopt this nom de plume by accident, mate.
CAD2

perkasa

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 09:57:24 pm »

Hi CAD 2,

I thought the nom de plume was linked to the trade.

Your reply was interesting. Our hobby certainly owes a lot to designers like you.

Regarding production costs. Now I know the facts I would not expect the present supplies to go and purchase a CAD CAM machine. It would be much to costly. While on the point of the supplier. I have dealt with them an can only say they are brilliant. Thier sales and after sales is second to none. The instructions do however need to be reviewed.

As a result  I am going to build a Huntsman after my current build.  I will then be in a better position to comment on it.

When it is complete I will most likey give it to a puplil at the college where I work as a technician. By the way we have a CAD CAM machine and are in the process of purchasing a new one..

I hope Bob buys a Perkasa then he will also understand my comments.

Hope I did not upset you.

Pete

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 10:32:01 pm »

In reply to Perkasa I built one of the very early huntsmen 46" if I remember correcty fitted it with a Veco 61 made my own tuned pipe and spent many happy hours sailing it at Black Park the point I was making was that it isn't realy on to slate companys products in such a way as you did in this world you get what you pay for and if you compare the price of the kits you mentioned with other kits I'm sure you will agree they are good value
                                                                         Cheers
                                                                               Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Pointy

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 11:16:50 pm »

It doesn't matter how good or bad the model kit is- it would be useless without instructions especially for the inexperienced builders like me. While we are on this subject I would like to say that I have been put off buying some kits when I looked at the instructions despite really liking the subject. For my first build I chose a Model Slipway kit because the instructions were very good just like something from Tamiya and the full scale plans are brilliant, I want to keep them after I finish the model.

perkasa

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 08:07:08 pm »

Point taken Bob. At the end of the day you are right.

By the way enjoyed talking to you

Pete

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 06:41:46 pm »

I built the wooden Huntsman 31 kitthis year  but it was part built when I got it and had been languishing in a loft for about 15 years. Virtually all of the wood for the cabin etc had to be ditched and made from decent stuff so I too can understand the gripes. As for a 'New' Huntsman, anyone fancy a go at this?http://www.swordsmanmarine.com/

Cheers,
Ian.

CAD2

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 06:52:53 pm »

Pete
No offence taken, mate.
Pointy
Thanks for your kind words. Which one is it you've built?
Ian
Fabulous, isn't it? I've saved this link as a favourite for further research as/when/if my current employer allows me early retirement.
CAD2

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 07:42:41 pm »

Has anybody any idea why the kit is of the aft cabin version.

I've wondered this for years and never found out the reason

Richard

CAD2

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:57 pm »

Richard
It's because we already had permission to use that fabulous photo of Johmad, which was the 4-berth version, for the kit box lid.
You may sleep soundly now.
CAD2

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 11:21:12 pm »

Have a look at:

www.fairey ownersclub.co.uk

Lots of useful detail.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 08:22:54 am »

Thanks CAD2

I will  :D :D

Richard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.