Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Futaba RC  (Read 2253 times)

Bungie 247

Futaba RC
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:58 pm »

Hi peeps, when I was a lad Futaba RC equipment was (to everyone I had contact with at least) the best. Now some 30+ years later it seems to me that Futaba gear is less popular. Is this because of price, quality or even availability (it seems to be difficult to find the best dealers)?

I am considering buying a six (or seven) channel fasst system. Can anyone suggest a better option than Futaba and if so why? Also which dealer would you recommend I order from and still obtain a good price.

My last observation would be how incredibly cheap RC is now relative to the 60' 70's & early 80's. You get so much for your money now.  When I started I had a single channel  (press button) Gem transmitter and eventually moved up to "proportional" LOL. I even still have a Grundig (non-proportional) four channel modular system (Grundig called it an eight channel system as left is channel one and right is channel two etc...). I have to admit it is bulky but it is lovely. Each of the channels is a plug on layer to the receiver, and each is in a different colour metal case. But all of this equipment was purchased second hand as I could not afford to buy new. How different it is today.

I would be grateful for any comments or advice.

Regards, Bungie.

pugwash

Re: Futaba RC
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:34 am »

Bungie, it seems to be  case of you pays your money and takes your choice.  From what I can gather from the more experienced
modellers the Futaba is the Rolls Royce of kit with a price to match.  I have a Hitec laser6 and a Planet 5 (not out the box yet).
I would think that if you had absolutely no budget restraints go the whole hog and buy the Futaba - after all everyone likes the best,
I personally, being retired, would prefer a slightly less able R/C and spend the difference on a couple of extra warship hulls for the next
projects as my main enjoyment is the building and its associated problems.
You know what you will be using it for - if its fast electric or IC get a good set so you don't loose control and wreck someone else's
pride and joy or if you are just going to tootle round at a scale 10-15 knots you could buy cheaper kit and put more in to the models.

Geoff

Tombsy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:00 am »

I run Futaba Fasst in the boats I race, the size and speed of the boats you need 100% reliable control. For 2.4ghz radios over here for racing it's between Spectrum and Futaba and Spectrum I think had some problems and need a specific marine receiver now. My 2 cents but I think Futaba Fasst is still number one for our racing. But receivers are expensive close to $90 for my 3 channel rx's. (times 4 boats)
I still use the cheaper Tactic and HobbyKing 2.4ghz radio's for my retrieval and sail boats you can't beat the price. But it's like the helicopter and airplane guys when there are thousands  of dollars in equipment at stake you want the best radio.

MikeW

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:20:20 pm »

For aircraft (and I imagine its the same as surface craft) the top tier radio manufacutures are Multiplex/Hitec, Futaba (Robbe) and JR (Graupner).  The middle of the Road manufacturers are Spektrum, Sanwa and the low end is the generic radios like Planet5/Turnigy etc. Spectrum only became popular beacuse they were the first ones to embrace 2.4 technology and until they came out with their DX8 all their radios were cheap and plasticky. Multiplex were the last ones and hence probably have the best system. Specktrum are in partership with JR now where JR make the high end multichannel radios and Spectrum stick with middle of the road and lower end sets.
In the old days Futaba made alot of 2ch cheap sets theat were the same price or there abouts as Acoms for RC cars so there were plenty of Futaba around. Now Futaba is more expensive especially if you want 2.4Ghz.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »

I've stuck with Futaba since the early 1980s. Servos, receivers and transmitters for all 13 of my scale ships. Total compatibity between units. Never a moments hiccup. The only niggle I've ever had (and still do) is that some of the receivers have the RX crystal located under the receiver unit, which is a bit of a clart when changing frequencies. Plus...the crystals are a bit awkward to locate, but that may just be me! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:19:19 pm »

I think that the replies have covered your question well. If sailing ic boats then best to use spectrum or
Futaba. If youre sailing slower model then Planet or Radiolink may be ok, at of course a much lower price. At
my club both these types perform well. Futaba is good but in my opinion overpriced. Its also made in Taiwan
so should be (isent) cheaper than it is. John. 

Bungie 247

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »

Hi peeps, I know that this is not a particularilly exciting topic but would anyone recommend a dealer I could buy from or visit in the South East?

Regards, Bungie.  :}

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:40:13 pm »

I got my Futaba FX 18 from Westbourne Models

nice chaps to do business with
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.