Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It's a job...  (Read 10985 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: It's a job...
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »

Left school at 15 with "no levels" and "nay levels"  {-)

Out into the big world of work:-

Small supermarket as a trainee manager (warehouse boy) then:

Butchers apprentice then:

Fish filleter (cold) then:

Trawler deckhand (VERY cold) then:

Road sweeper then:

Back to butchery then:

Heavy Goods driver then:

Royal Navy then:

Northumbria Police (civvy) then:

Offshore (cold again) then:

Admin Officer DWP then:

Large supermarket (freezers) very cold again ! then:

School Caretaker (current)

.....so I seem to have come full circle  %%

......oh, and somewhere in between that lot I can throw in 12 years with the T/A.

............and now, at last, I've discovered model boats ! Hoping to retire soon.  O0

Regards,

Ray.

And now the best job in the world...Scale captain at TMBC!! Regards. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

regiment

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »

the best job and mates 22 years R A F ... pension not bad either joined jan 1949 demob 1971 then worked on a caravan site here in cornwall now retired  trying to make boats

Tombsy

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:30:06 pm »

I'm a train driver and it's the best job in the world!

Ali
Freestyle downhill train driving in the Rocky Mountains. :}
34 years so far in my railway career and only a couple to go. But it's not as fun as it used to be, getting called anytime of the night or day for an 18 hour day driving a 2 mile long train.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »

Please, what is a Freestyle Engine ? I have visions of "The wreck of old '97" running through my head! BY.

Tombsy

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »

It's just a joke we had like "freestyle downhill skiing" because of the 25 mile hill we used to run down in Jasper Alberta. We set the train brake when the engines tipped over the hill and tried to "float" down or pull against the train brakes all the way down. It was too steep to be able to release the brakes and set them again on the way down. Sometimes the brakes smoked so much it looked like a forest fire behind you coming down the hill. These days with dynamic braking on the engines and fuel conservation it's a big no-no to pull against your brakes.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 09:24:31 pm »

23 Years RN --The best years were 5 spent as a geophysics engineer on two Hydrographic Survey Ships
All civilian equipment with the accompanying courses were just the job for the North Sea Oil Circus
Swimbo said I want you ashore so I hung up me survival suit and got a job as a area superintendent eng
for a national entertainments centre company
I thought surveying was stressful as every thing had to be done yesterday but when it comes to money grabbers
its a different ballgame.
Told them to Shove It and took myself off on a year on the UK canal systems
Passing time as a transport controller until Sept when I will be 70 and DEFINITELY retiring

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Fifie

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 11:31:04 am »

Martin

perhaps you can now finish the windows on your model
Hope you can find a new job
Fifie

Nordsee

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 09:03:32 pm »

School ( hated it), Army ( Airborne, loved it!) then Coachbuilder, enjoyed that until the proper trade died when I became a carpenter, this continued until I came to Germany as a shuttering Carpenter, learnt to lay bricks, drive a Tower crane and do drains and ground works. After 22 years the Firm went bust and I was out at 61, 3 years Dole and then Retired, Great!!. I really enjoyed building houses and Flats etc, ended up running Sites, what you might call a Site Foreman. No formal training, learnt it all by doing. My last big job was a complex of 42 Old Peoples Flats. I can drive around my neighbourhood and think " I built that!" Nice feeling, when I Pop my Clogs my buildings will still remain...

fatcat123

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:34 pm »

We'd all like to be train drivers when we grow up but sadly for most of us that will never happen. Lucky you!

Colin

I want to be a train driver too  {:-{   Lucky devil!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »

Well, you'll just have to grow up then.... :}

Colin

wartsilaone

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »

We haven't grown up, That's why we are train drivers.

fatcat123

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »

Lol,

Personally, i left school and then went to college and did a pointless IT course.  Then worked for Npower in their techincal support dept and got sick. I then worked at manchester airport at a refurb company. All through this time, i was gathering my experience and qualifications to go offshore as a welding inspector, NDT tech and pipeline coatings inspector. This lasted around 18 months until i was involved in the saipem 7000 medgaz accident in september 2008, where 4 were killed and i was the worst injured survivor and only narrowly avoiding death.

Currently not doing a lot except still recovering and going through the legal wranglings.

Dan

wbeedie

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:35 am »

Fishing, Army Bapiper, Fishing, Building trade made redundant Back at sea, left school with nothing and always have a fall back ,do I enjoy it ? Sometimes, does it pay the bills ? Sometimes but would I ever stop the sea ? Never, I dont have blood in my veins just red salt water :-)), .
The only time I quit the sea for an length of time was when  the boat I worked on foundered and lost a crew mate and friend , but new I would have to go back sometime to earn a crust ,

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:21 am »

Left school at 16 to be a "Yoof" with the Post Office Engineering Department.
Learned how to look after various kinds of telephone exchange, had the best job in the world as a special faults investigator for about 8 years, then had the worst job in the world for about 4 years locked up in an office, and had "them" close said office as a 50th birthday present.
Went back to school as an "active job seeker" to get a certificate to say that I could walk upright and read instructions, then alternated between being a civil servant and a delivery driver (bread, magic smell first thing in the morning) before, at about 56, working out that I was spending a third of my breathing time for a nett gain of about £35 a week.  I decided to "spend time with my family".  The plan was to survive comfortably until I got my wrinkly pension, then we could enjoy things.  As it turned out, we never got to enjoy the last bit - my wife had a fatal heart attack before I managed wrinklydom, just before our ruby wedding, but we did have a good 6 years together.

Martin, the very best of luck with your job hunt. I hope you find "the job" that you deserve, and may you and yours live long and prosper.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Roadrunner

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:18 am »

10 years from age of 16 at a packaging firm, ended up shift supervisor for the last 2 years, took voluntary redundancy in 2009 as a way of escape they had nothing else to offer me.
Past 2 years now been quite happy being a full time modeller and doing commissioned pieces for others being a full time house husband is great possibly the best job in the world, why do women moan about being home all day looking after the kids its beyond my understanding!

cloggie

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:19 am »

Signed the visitors book at Swan Hunters for 16 years then someone asked me to pick up a hammer ....so I left....Cheeky sods "Did they think I was there to work?"  {-) :o

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »

Not much really.... left school in '88 YTS Computer bloke and tea boy, then into the Royal signals (6 months active duty, 9 months in hospital/rehab after I fell off an icy wall doing an assault course and broke my leg in 4 places) real jobs with an accountancy firm (IT Manager) and Power companies.  Freelanced for a for several years with some interesting jobs with Raytheon Systems (Classified) and trackside IT support for Williams F1.

A selection of crappy contracts doing IT support then moved to Finland, worked in estates management for 18 months and now back in IT for a local ISP
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 01:52:49 pm »

did various jobs as a student, barwork, fish filleter in a billingsgate wholesaler, supermarket shelf stacker..... the usual...

then graduated and left uni when the fun began,

worked making architectural models for about a year, then made some sets and a few props at pinewood studios, then did some product development and rapid prototyping work then got the best job of all which is bricklaying...

i have been doing it now for 18 yrs sticking little bricks together.....dont want to change it for anything....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 03:10:04 pm »

A job you don't want to Lego of Guy ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »

did various jobs as a student, barwork, fish filleter in a billingsgate wholesaler, supermarket shelf stacker..... the usual...

then graduated and left uni when the fun began,

worked making architectural models for about a year, then made some sets and a few props at pinewood studios, then did some product development and rapid prototyping work then got the best job of all which is bricklaying...

i have been doing it now for 18 yrs sticking little bricks together.....dont want to change it for anything....

My boy wants to know how you become a professional lego builder?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 06:38:30 pm »

Re-reading all the previous posts, I can't help but admire the fortitude and "grit" of those who've overcomed so much adversity and still have a sense of humour. By comparison my (40 year) seagoing career was relatively trauma free, interesting (at times), but always "educational".
Best job? Early retirement that lets me do most/some of the things I missed by being away from home so much. "Retired" now for 16 years.....16 of the happiest years of my life! BY.

stoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

27 years in the building trade, now suffering with a bad neck, shoulder, elbow, back and knees still must'nt grumble only 21 years till I retire  O0

Paul

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 09:34:35 am »

My boy wants to know how you become a professional lego builder?

Its a long story but basically  my route was via a degree in industrial  modelmaking- then several years of freelance modelmaking/ rapid prototyping and a little bit of set and prop building....i saw an ad for a  job and applied, it was a short term contract to build a landscape/ topographical model .......this was the model used in the planning application for legoland windsor...once this landscape model was complete they asked if i wanted to build more models, - i said yes not fully realising it was making models with just little bricks....

the rest they say is history- after 3 years of building models for legoland windsor, i then worked on legoland california for 3 years, then germany, and now i am repsonsible for the design and build of models for the new inner city legoland discovery centres which are being rolled out worldwide....

there is alittle more to it than just sticking bricks together but  basically thats the route i took, you obviously develop a style  and the more models you build the better you get, but even after all these years i am still learning -all models are still  designed  'by hand/ people' - very few computers are used to design any of the lego creations we build, - with so many standard lego bits any CAD package would never know what part to use, - thats down to each individual modelmaker to decide  :-))
 yup there are downsides to it, - weekends are often working days as are bank holidays,( plays havoc with going to boat shows ! ) we also maintain all the animated models on parks too so this can mean  over night strip downs of pneumatic and electromechanical systems, but its not all bad....i manage a great team of people and its its a fun atmosphere -  i wish my salary was nearer that of the MD of tescos  but hey we all want to earn more !!!, but i do alright... and i never get up on a monday morning thinking i dont want to go to work...and you cant put a price on that.....so all in all i am a happy chap really !-

pugwash

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:18 am »

Sorry Guy I was being very dense when I  read your first post - I thought you had had  career change and gone off the be a brickie
I'll go back to sleep now - sounds a great job.

Geoff

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 10:24:10 am »

Sorry Guy I was being very dense when I  read your first post - I thought you had had  career change and gone off the be a brickie
I'll go back to sleep now - sounds a great job.

Geoff

i am a brickie.......just a junior one ! O0
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.