Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Itchen Marines new tug.  (Read 7048 times)

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
Itchen Marines new tug.
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:04:36 pm »

Itchen Marine, owners of Wyeforce A.K.A as Southampton have a new tug.  Saw it today, called Wyestorm

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Itchen Marines new tug.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »

Just googled it and got;
"Former Serco Denholm tug 'SD Atlas' has been sold to Itchen Marine, and renamed 'Wyestorm'. The vessel was built in 1999 as 'MT Yenikale', before being taken over by the RMAS as 'RMAS Atlas'. Laid up at Portsmouth since the end of 2009, and taken over by Itchen Marine in September 2010.

168grt; Built 1999 "

What a lovely tug. Then again 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Pirate

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:29 pm »

Yes, not a bad looking tug.  You can see she was originally registered in Istanbul

ixion

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »

Itchen Marine, owners of Wyeforce A.K.A as Southampton have a new tug. 

Interesting, business must be good then.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Interesting, business must be good then.

The Wyeguard has been sold, think to Jenkins Marine, saw it on the slip at Husbands, Marchwood

farrow

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »

She was never a RMAS tug, a Serco Denholm tug yes. She was painted in RMAS colours because that was local management decision and probably part of the MoD contract. But she was I believe never popular with the crews, I believe due to excessive vibration etc, I know one of her masters all ways bitched about her? I expect she was sold on as being only one of her class in the fleet and with new craft coming on stream for the new contract they obtained?

TugChief

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »

Vibration, how would any of the SD crews know about that?  Must have had very noisy generators as they are always alongside and the crews a sleep!

I am sure that anything would be deemed as noisy having come out from an old dog class of 1320 HP and 28 meters which could not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

RMAS/SD must be the easiest tugging life afloat!

TugChief.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 10:48:53 pm »

Not with the reduction of the crew numbers.
It isn't unusual to be on 4 vessels in a day!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

farrow

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:21:19 am »

I believe one of the comments was that the vessel was built for lighterage work not ship towage, but she was sold on quick by her original owners. As to the dogs they where as powerful as thier commercial counterparts of the day. They where based on a successful commercial tug design, the MoD had no real imput into design, probaly that is why they where such a successful design for the MoD.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:38 am »

....rice pudding....

1320 HP from 2 x Lister Blackstones in a 28m 1960-built tug? Well, even with a 'mere' 14 ton BP, I've shifted 12,000+ tons of cargo ship in and out of Newhaven in Meeching. And I've seen her pull more than that. With respect, that's not a rice pudding, and a friend of the family who later owned her (as well as two 'dogs') only sold her as the dogs actually had a bit more pull.

By modern standards, I'll admit 14 tons BP is rather puny, but she worked here solo (no tandem tows, stern tugs etc) for 40 years with increasingly large vessels. So I guess it's not just what you've got, it's what you do with it!  ok2
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

farrow

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:49 pm »

Hi Meechingman, I believe the design of the dogs was actually based on the meeching. But as you say it is not the so called brakeHp/bollard pull that counts but how the tug is used. I was on the girl class tug "Barbara" when she pulled a deep loaded RFA BlueRover out of the sea lock at Chatham through all the basins with a small single unit tractor tug attached to each shoulder for push pull and a lrge single unit tractor in the stern as a stern drag.

Jack.H

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »

where do i find the plans for this? ;D

Jack.H
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.