Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....  (Read 185061 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
Re: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2017, 10:59:54 pm »

Yes Ian - Whittling ferry as usual........ Just finished gluing the top deck superstructure on using 2 part epoxy on the wooden strengtheners.  No photo as she doesn't look all that different from last night.

As for the portholes - 'twas a 5 minute job to draw them and 5 seconds to cut them.  The longest time was to get the settings somewhere close between the laser not cutting through the card to totally incinerating it.  There are 3 variables on our machine which are variable from 1 to 100 : speed of the laser head over the bed, power of the laser in a straight line and power of the laser in corners or curves.  More work needs to be done on this aspect as looking at those ports under a glass highlights that the bolts around the rim, instead of just being etched impressions, are actually cut holes.  Too much power here methinks!  Quality and thickness of the card has a lot to do with it too.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:05 pm »

I think you are going to get enough ideas and projects,to give up working for a living.
Will you pay Flo overtime rates lol.But I must admit the portholes are looking good!!
Cant wait to see that model,you are really progressing with it,and it will be a sure fire ht for you.
Wish my Ramillies could progress that quickly,and with such quality.
Mick F

Hi Mick  :-))
Give up the day job eh?  I wish........ Unfortunately, my position at work means that to give up now would be a major loss to our income - and it is this income that is used for the development work for Linkspan!  And as for paying Flo overtime, I would have to pay her something first  {-) {-) .  In fact, Linkspan is actually HER company!!! Tax reasons say that my name is kept off the books so, in theory, she can pay herself!!! 

As for your Ramillies - don't put her or yourself down friend.  She is a cracking model and a real credit to you.  You are on a personal mission with this model and I, for one, cant wait to see her on the water.  Remember, I have seen her in the flesh and can attest that she can stand scrutiny with the best of them.  There is only one Alex McFadyen and there was only one Brian King - both men produced sublime models and us mortals can only dream about attaining their standard.  I am enjoying building the Norland.  In fact, she is the only r/c model boat that I have ever built myself to completion (my Yorkshireman is still unfinished after 15 years!) so it will be a unique experience for me to actually finish it  O0 O0 .

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2017, 11:26:32 pm »

I agree with the comments about Alex and Brian but you can probably add Andy Dalton to that company. His HMS Renown pre dreadnought exhibited at the Model Engineer Exhibition is easily in the same class as Brian and I am currently subbing an article from him which will appear in Model Boats in due course.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2017, 11:38:25 pm »

I agree with the comments about Alex and Brian but you can probably add Andy Dalton to that company. His HMS Renown pre dreadnought exhibited at the Model Engineer Exhibition is easily in the same class as Brian and I am currently subbing an article from him which will appear in Model Boats in due course.

Colin

I am sorry Colin - I wasn't aware of Mr Dalton or his models.  I look forward to reading your article and learning more.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2017, 12:16:29 am »

No need to apologise Carl, I was simply sharing the information that we still have models of Alex and Brian's calibre which is good news. Have a look at my report on the 2016 Model Engineer Exhibition on thd Model Boats website to see a couple of photos of Andy's superb model.

Colin

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #255 on: March 08, 2017, 09:57:55 pm »

Finally!!! After many phone calls and emails, a representative of the Company who will take delivery of the Norland when she is complete has arrived at the shipyard.  He is the skipper and, as is the way with new-buildings, he will 'stand by' the vessel at the yard until she is complete to familiarise himself with all aspects of her.

As time and the build progresses he will be joined by other members of his crew - first the Chief Engineer, then the senior bridge officers and then finally the ship's compliment just before she goes out on trials.

Here is the Captain being shown around his new ship by one of the Directors of the shipbuilders:

Skipper is looking a little grey and his uniform is somewhat crumpled - he must have had a terrible flight!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:34 pm »

You need to get an exclusive interview Carl...

Does he approve of the cardboard?

Colin

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2017, 10:15:44 pm »

Hello.  The word is lived in, for the skippers uniform, he has a very busy schedule, Dortmund here we come!!!!, she is looking good Carl, you are making a superb job of the model it is a credit to your skill and perseverance. Howard Q

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2017, 10:19:27 pm »

Carl,
 Have you nicked two of my most important work force from my Austin & Pickergill SD14 build.
    Your doing an amazing job my friend hope to see you at m,m,m in may.

Regards Howard.

Atlantic Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2017, 11:20:34 pm »

looking good Carl. :-))

See you at Dortmund,  :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:29 pm »

You need to get an exclusive interview Carl...

Does he approve of the cardboard?

Colin

Ha ha - It has taken this long to pin him down!!!

As for approving the cardboard - he has another part to consider.  This is a small platform that leads from one deck down over a lower one to a waiting lifeboat.  It contains a wooden ladder rolled under canvas:

An ideal candidate for etched brass you would say......  Well, whilst waiting for other stuff to dry off from gluing I have been experimenting with laser cut card again:

Again, not good enough quality card at the moment but it looks like it might have possibilities:

Bit of tweaking and adjustment and better quality card might just make this work - there are 10 of them on the ship.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2017, 01:34:54 pm »

That's familiar! I took my eldest son (then twelve weeks old) to a Medieval weekend in Belgium back in May, 1998. We took the Norland from Hull to Zeebrugge (I think!). A car and trailer full of armour, weaponry, tent, furniture and nappies: I must have been crazy!  %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »

Busy weekend!!! Target is to finish the building of all the main structures so that fettling can take place during the early part of the week in readiness for painting.

All decks now completed.  Funnel in build as is the foremast.  Bridge front to be added tomorrow along with numerous ventilation grilles scattered around.

State of play this evening:

:-))

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: March 12, 2017, 02:53:18 am »

Truly Outstanding Carl. :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #264 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:01 am »

Coming along in leaps and bounds Carl.

I thought you might like this one from a Dutch builder, its at 1:100 scale, I like the way he's managed the photo perspective so that it looks like a full scale ship.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #265 on: March 12, 2017, 08:39:21 pm »

Hi Brian, I was expecting you to write 'Here's a picture of a real Norland somewhere in Scandinavia'. This model is so realistic! And at 1:100th as well.

Your model is coming along nicely Carl. I see the skipper is inspecting the bridge arrangements prior to you fitting it:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

Norsun_P

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »

Hi Carl,

Sadly I can't make it to Dortmund this year, but I am really enjoying following your progress to get the Norland ready. Your discoveries along the way seem to be providing all sorts of offshoots into other areas, you are clearly innovating the business of making ferry kits as much as providing new models in themselves. Will you be sailing her on the "pond" in the Westfalenhalle, or just have her on static display? 

I really like the way the model captures the bulk of the hull, and with it the whole point of the Norland / Norstar, which was their enormous capacity. The breadth of the upper decks and the *huge* amount of deckspace on offer, something passengers on PoH / PoR can only dream of, is readily apparent. It's great to see the first tantalizing form of the iconic funnel and forward masts towering, even temporarily, over the superstructure. When the time comes to place an order, I am looking forward to the model re-awakening many memories of my crossings on her so long ago.

Great to hear that a detailling kit will be offered - "mine" will never sail, but will be stuffed and mounted with all the detailling you can provide. I intend to make the stern door operational, fit out the rear end of the cardecks and install LED lighting throughout. After all, she's a "ferry of the night" and will look stunning sat in my study with radars spinning and all lights aglow..... can't wait :-)

Keep going Carl, you deserve a medal for your efforts - or at the very least a very full order book from Dortmund!

Peter

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »

Been working on the funnel this evening.  Quite a distinctive shape so needs to be got right.

The funnel itself has a skeleton of 0.5mm styrene which is then skinned also in 0.5mm styrene.

The funnel top / cap in the kit will be a vac-formed part however the prototype uses the master that will be moulded to form the tool for vac-forming:

Once the glue has had 24 hours to dry the stepped appearance will be rubbed down to form a smooth cap.

:-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2017, 11:33:09 pm »

Been a busy week in the Linkspan Models workshop!  The Dortmund show is fast approaching and we want to get the Norland prototype to a stage that she will look presentable at least.  She wont be finished - much detailing to add - but the main ship will be built and painted.

Tasks this past week have included sorting the rear stepped decks, fitting the bridge unit and painting.

Firstly, the decks at the rear are stepped forward from deck to deck and have a pronounced sloping edge to them.  To achieve this edge, 'I' beams were fitted below each deck, much like the real ship, and were allowed to project a little beyond the rear edge of the deck:

This would then give some additional support to the sloping deck edge trim - which is a specific shape for each deck cut on the laser:

The use of tape to hold the edges in place while the glue dried was essential!

Next came the equally tricky task of fitting the bridge front and windows - again special shapes to allow the units to curve around the front and, at the same time, slope forward and backward.  They are still not quite right and will be fettled some more for the kit, but will suffice for the prototype for now:

Then it was time to get some colour laid on!!!

Firstly, the red primer antifoul:

Then the grey primer for the superstructure unit:

And now this is the state of play as of this evening - all upper-works have been sprayed with appliance white and the decks brush painted with Humbrol Green (Matt 88).  The funnel is Volkswagen Brilliant Orange on a grey primer base:

We have also had our first delivery of the 3D fittings for the kit - bollards, capstans, the tops to the large vents on the foredeck and the spare anchor:

Tasks this weekend include a second coat of green on the decks, construct the wind deflector on top of the bridge and prep the hull for the black paint  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2017, 11:40:42 pm »

You are certainly going to the enth degree with this one Carl - those deck edges must have been a nightmare to produce and fit. She's looking every inch a ferry. Good on yer. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2017, 09:35:08 am »

I agree, it is looking great.  I'm admiring the precision of her shapes and the overall effect.

Coming along great.    :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2017, 09:39:22 am »

Not my thing, but following this build with alot of interest. Its superb.

Colin
grumpy old XXX

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2017, 05:14:26 pm »

Thank you for the kind comments Gents  :-))

Have taken advantage of the great weather today to finish off painting the hull - the anti-foul and the white upper-works were done during the week and now it was the turn of the main hull sides which are black.

Patience is the watchword here - masking the upper and lower limits of the black took the best part of 2 hours and was accomplished with 3M fineline vinyl tape (as recommended by Stavros) to form the paint edge.  Onto this was laid the paper held with regular masking tape firmly secured along the centreline of the blue 3M tape:

Once all is covered and checked for any chinks in the armour, it was time to take the bull by the horns and start spraying the black:

Warm weather and no wind certainly contributed to an enjoyable day outside!!  It didn't take long to get the black down nice and evenly and, following half an hour to allow the paint to flash off, it was time to remove the masking to reveal whether all that work in the morning had paid off.

Have to say, I don't think it turned out too shabby  :-))

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »

Oh my. A real stunner
grumpy old XXX

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #274 on: March 25, 2017, 08:04:32 pm »

Amen. There is nothing shabby at all about the model. She looks a little like a nineenth century warship or a classic ocean liner. Perhaps the latter style is what the company was looking for.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 22 queries.