Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....  (Read 185080 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Linkspan Models Norland / Norstar - Development of a kit.....
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2017, 01:18:00 pm »

Nickel is corrosive and will react with other metals if they touch, but against GRP, it should not be an issue. I have found that with things like ladders or grilles, abraiding in the direction of the slats/rungs is much less likely to cause distortion, as the slats are not being dragged up and down.
Pond weed is your enemy

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2017, 10:13:34 pm »

This kit looks fantastic and Lucky me, I'll see it all IRL  tomorrow!
See you soon my friend  :-))
Hama

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »

This kit looks fantastic and Lucky me, I'll see it all IRL  tomorrow!
See you soon my friend  :-))
Hama
Very much looking forward to it  :-)) :-)) :-))  - safe journey up from Londinium.  O0

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2017, 10:05:06 am »

Derrick,

Nickel Silver ( Nickel Bronze ) is solid Ni Bronze, not coated, and does not contain any silver that I am aware of. This is so much better than the previously used Etched Brass, as it has much greater strength for the same dimension. I use .3mm sheet.
The stuff I use is so fine you couldn't rub it with emery or you would destroy the detail

We spray it with etch primer or Automotive etch primer which does the job.

The Locomotive wipers and mirrors I supply in "HO"- 1:87 don't need spraying, as they are a stainless steel appearance like the real thing!

Ian

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2017, 10:09:19 am »

Forgot to add to the last post, that you can actually get Stainless Steel etched as well, if you use the right people. Not something you do at home!
Ian

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2017, 11:01:45 pm »

Thanks Ian...I was looking on the wrong side of the coin.....or the wrong page in the book  :embarrassed: and did not realise it was [currently] commercially available in sheet form... "electroless" nickel plating is now an extremely versatile replacement for chromium deposits...... Derek

'Nickel silver first became popular as a base metal for silver-plated cutlery and other silverware, notably the electroplated wares called EPNS (electro-plated nickel silver)'

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

markjames68

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2017, 12:33:07 am »

I am one of the eager chaps that bought one of Carls first kits, i was looking for a different project and mine will be completed with very heavy weathering and heli decks ( and seakings) as she was on her return from the Falklands.

i have got all the pics for and fully intend to do a build thread but thought mayhemers might like to see this quick shot of the kit as it stands now in my workshop, im awaiting the etch and 3d bits at the moment but fully expect them to be excellent as i cant praise the fibreglass and plastic parts enough. Its a superb fitting kit compared to some of the more famous manufacturers and the plastic parts build up very well indeed, their length is a little tricky to deal with but nothing a little care in construction wont solve.

If you are looking for a new project or something thats a little different from the run of the mill tugs and warships, this is a great choice.

I have no connection with Carl other than being a very happy customer, will post a full thread as soon as i have some juicy pics of the Falklnds mods to show.

Robbie11

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2017, 09:24:14 am »

Will be following this one with great interest! If I ever finish my HMS Plymouth this will be my next build and I too intend to fit her out in Falklands guise. Are you intending to use Carl's Falklands fittings (and if so, do you know if these will be launched at the same time as the Norland?)

markjames68

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:46 pm »

As far as i know, Carl will be producing a falklands add on at some point, i will be scratchbuilding my own as its actually pretty straight  forward, the only tricky bit is the seakings, Carl has given me a resin 96th one that im going to try turn into a vac kit master, hopefully of a quality Carl can use. He told me there would be etched blades and heli deck nets in the add on kit. If anyone has any of the Revell or Tamiya 1/100 sea kings, i would be happy to purchase them...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:05 pm »

Will be following this one with great interest! If I ever finish my HMS Plymouth this will be my next build and I too intend to fit her out in Falklands guise. Are you intending to use Carl's Falklands fittings (and if so, do you know if these will be launched at the same time as the Norland?)

Amen, this will be an interesting thread to watch Mark  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Robbie11

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2017, 02:52:13 pm »

Great video on YouTube, "MV Norland. The Home Coming From The Falklands 1983". Great pictures showing weathering, general detail (2 Para badge on the funnel) etc. Also need to get a 1/96 Chinook for the aft heli deck!! Its a brilliant home movie!!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #336 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:03 pm »

As far as i know, Carl will be producing a falklands add on at some point, i will be scratchbuilding my own as its actually pretty straight  forward, the only tricky bit is the seakings, Carl has given me a resin 96th one that im going to try turn into a vac kit master, hopefully of a quality Carl can use. He told me there would be etched blades and heli deck nets in the add on kit. If anyone has any of the Revell or Tamiya 1/100 sea kings, i would be happy to purchase them...

A bit of an update needed methinks!!!

Further to Mark's comment above - yes, we will produce a Falklands 'add-on' set however this is going to have to wait a month or two as we are flat-out trying to finalise the basic kit in readiness for the forthcoming show season.  Hand in hand with that task is trying to get the prototype at least to a stage where it might be said to be 'finished'!
For the basic kits, all is now sorted except for the final drafting of the Instruction Book.

In addition to the Falklands add-on, we have had a request to look into the feasibility of producing a 'stretch' kit.  I think that this would be feasible as we have the drawings for the lengthened ship.  I will be talking it through with the fibreglass fabricator tomorrow but we think that it would be possible to produce an 8" length of hull to insert into the standard kit hull.  The modeller would have to accept that some work would need to be done to fair the hull below the waterline where the new part is inserted but, if he or she wants to go to the lengths (sorry for the pun) of stretching an already large model into something even bigger, then that work should not be beyond them.

In the meantime, as said, we are trying to get the prototype finished to a state where it can be displayed - hence I am going boss-eyed drilling and mounting hundreds of stanchions.  Whether they will all be painted in time for the first show time will tell.

Here is the state of play this evening:

So - the clock is ticking!!!!

The first show, where we will have kits of the Norland (and the Free Enterprise V) available for sale will be Haydock Park at the end of the month.  Then in September we will be at the Deans Marine Open Weekend for high jinks and frivolity.  October you can find us at Blackpool and then in November it is Warwick.

See you there??  :-)) :-))

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2017, 12:13:27 am »

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MODEL............MAGNIFICO!!!!!!! :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »

I hope you didn't make Flo drill out all those stantions.  :police:
Don't Assume Check

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »

I hope you didn't make Flo drill out all those stantions.  :police:

He he......... I did!!! And, funnily enough, she said she enjoyed it  %% .  It was only cleaning up the holes with a 0.3 drill to ensure that the wire would pass through.  Most of them probably didn't need it but it kept her out of trouble for a few days  {-) ok2 .

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2017, 03:00:57 am »

Burning the 3am oil to get the Norland finished for the Model Boat Convention at Haydock Park - 12 days to go!

Never known a ship have so many railings!!!  %% %% %%

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2017, 08:10:50 am »

Looking really great Carl. How are you going to paint them? Not a job I'd fancy. Get some sleep and  then back at it. Doug
Don't Assume Check

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2017, 08:45:12 am »

Looking really good, I bet the glue-fumes smelled worse than our famous cheese  {-)
I know you're working double overtime to get her finished now, and it will be worth it! I think you will sell loads of this one  :-))
All the best to you and Flo!
Hama

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2017, 11:12:19 pm »

Looking really good, I bet the glue-fumes smelled worse than our famous cheese  {-)
I know you're working double overtime to get her finished now, and it will be worth it! I think you will sell loads of this one  :-))
All the best to you and Flo!
Hama

Got quite a taste for the camembert now!! There is a particularly ripe one in the fridge at the moment - the girls would love it!!  {-)
Just noticed that you sent me an email a week or so ago - I am so sorry for not having noticed it or responded sooner  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  - I will reply tomorrow morning.

Meantime - the boss of North Sea Ferries is standing at the rail wondering where in hell his lifeboats are!!!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2017, 11:34:05 pm »

The railings are interesting and well represented Carl. I bet you are glad they are nearly done.
Pond weed is your enemy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2017, 11:38:03 pm »

"Women and children first. Male passengers next. Then the crew. Ferry business executives, bankers, politicians and estate agents might find a pallet to cling to."  %)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2017, 12:04:32 am »

The railings are interesting and well represented Carl. I bet you are glad they are nearly done.

Not wrong there Ian, but only at 50% at the moment - have the port side to start yet!  This lot need tidying up before painting as you can see.  To be perfectly honest, I am a designer foremost and my modelling skills leave something to be desired, but so long as she is something like presentable, then any potential purchaser can see the potential - and if I can produce a half-decent result then someone with more skills than me will make a cracking job!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2017, 12:05:02 am »

"Women and children first. Male passengers next. Then the crew. Ferry business executives, bankers, politicians and estate agents might find a pallet to cling to."  %)

Andy

Brilliant Andy  {-) {-)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2017, 05:16:30 pm »

Oh my, Does that look the part or what.
grumpy old XXX

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #349 on: August 20, 2017, 12:58:36 am »

With just under a week to go until the Haydock show, we are flat-out trying to get the Norland prototype looking somewhere near decent.  I doubt she will be completely finished, but the starboard side should be just about there so that is how she will sit on the stand - starboard side to the viewing public!!!

The Model Boat Convention at Haydock Park is where we will officially launch the new kit and there will be a few available if anyone is interested!  ok2 :-))
C
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.