Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I or should I NOT  (Read 2007 times)

catengineman

Should I or should I NOT
« on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:03 pm »

I was thinking of putting my build of 'Dutch Courage' made in the name of Enterprise on here for sale.
But having read through the various topics I think I could not stand the knock backs.
I am not the best builder but I get great joy from the models I have made or altered or even repaired. I'm even a little hesitant to put it on eBay because it may end up in the rip it apart department.

So a viking funeral to reduce my model count by 1 looks to be the way to go

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Should I or should I NOT
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:57:25 pm »

Give it on to a deserving youngster ( Not KK, he has more than enough models! ). Make a parent poor for the next ten years!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

mersey dave

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »

I say put it on  :-))

Regards Dave.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »

I think you should go ahead and list it. At my club the build and finish of models varies. What doesnt is the
pleasure from sailing their boats. If you sell your boat it will no doubt give much pleasure to its new owner.
Yes he or she may alter things but that is just individual taste. It would be sad if people show them selfs
up by running your model down. John.

billa65t

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

:-)) Its probably not as bad as you think ! If you describe it honestly and take photos and point out the good and bad parts then the buyer can decide and not moan about it later !
If you don't want to do that then give it to a youngster at your local club, They will enjoy playing with it and wont be bothered if its a bit weathered.I say go for it
regards Bill  :-))

mikearace

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »

If you built it then you should be proud of it.  How many people start a build and dont even finish it?  If it floats and goes then its a half decent build regardless of anything else.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:08:07 am »

It's got to be pretty bad if it doesn't outshine SOME of the offerings on the Flee. If it's wood, don't forget to put "Vintage" in the description although plastic can use the same term, (Triangs early boats) and if you empty the vac bag over it, you can use the terms "Attic" or "Garage" find.  :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:55 am »

If you could have seen some of the models that I have looked at or bought described as "Museum Quality" you wouldn't have any doubt.
Some were radio controlled firewood.
Whatever you do certainly don't bin it, as has been said if you want to sell it, sell it.
A few pics on here will show what she is like so the buyer will know.
Also we do tend to be our own worse critics, what you consider to be binnable is fine for many others.
I am sure that you are just being over critical.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Yarpie

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

I should like to say a big thank you to all the previous contributers on this thread. :embarrassed:

You have each, to a man, described quite accurately my current models. %) :embarrassed:

Notwithstanding, I'm proud of my somewhat restricted boat modelling skills and I appreciate some of the better advice, (such as emptying the contents of the vacuum cleaner over a model; introducing woodworm etc) in order to enhance my pitiful examples.

This is what this forum is all about, real help and assistance in model making.

So, thanks for the tips guys, and keep 'em coming. {-) {-)

Yarpie.

Yarpie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:41:38 am »

I was thinking of putting my build of 'Dutch Courage' made in the name of Enterprise on here for sale.
But having read through the various topics I think I could not stand the knock backs.
I am not the best builder but I get great joy from the models I have made or altered or even repaired. I'm even a little hesitant to put it on eBay because it may end up in the rip it apart department.

So a viking funeral to reduce my model count by 1 looks to be the way to go

And as an addendum to my last post catengineman, do not worry about submitting any material on any build on this forum.

Those who would disagree with the pride in which you are doing your build would be diplomatic enough to hold their tongues.

Those who would openly criticise are not worth listening to.

Model boat building is an art, and, as in any form of art, appreciation is in the eye of the beholder. Be proud of what you do (unlike the last poster!!) and remember that all people cannot be model boat builders. :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »

Any model I put up for sale, I will call it as it is.

Bodgers class, but it sails nicely, won't win any competitions, see pics judge for yourself.
And words to that effect.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »

A 1/24 Thames barge owner (scale padlock on hatch, scale padlock key in scale skipper's scale pocket), on seeing my Thames Hoy at the round pond in Ken Gardens, was moved to remark "a stout piece of carpentry". I chose to take it as a compliment, though it may not have been intended as such.

Fidalgo

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

In my experience a builder (maker) is often their own worst critic.  For example, I tie trout flies that never seem quite "on the mark" in my eyes yet the trout love them.

Go figure.

Fidalgo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.