Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galaxy/Capital Radio  (Read 2661 times)

fatcat123

Galaxy/Capital Radio
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:16:30 pm »

Hi,

I'm not sure how many people here who listen to what was Galaxy radio and is now Capital. When the switchover occured, I naturally tuned in to what only could be described as utter destruction. Now, to get technical, the radio show is obviously produced in a studio and then the audio is pumped through various equipment of which one is a broadcast compressor. This basically smooths out the audio and boosts the lows and sometimes clips the highs of the music. Different stations use different equipment and the 'sound' of galaxy was pretty good, it was punchy, loud and clear.

However, when capital took over, they have quite obviously swapped out some equipment including the compressors. Now this is fine but it would maybe help if the engineers sat down and programmed it instead of what sounds like getting it out of the box, plugging it in and leaving it. It has left the overall sound of the station quite poor and not inkeeping with the music it plays. i.e younger music such as dance, rnb and pop should be loud and punchy, but instead, its like listening to smooth radio..

Galaxy sadly is gone but it had its day and in its early days, it was quite possibly the first station to have had national shows with independant regional adverts broadcast from each regional station. it was a horrendously complicated affair according to one of the galaxy engineers i was talking to. it used 8 channel isdn lines from station to station and it was all timed to the second, almost as good as the bbc used to be in the old days with the atomic clock beeps, to which they still use on some shows on radio 1. The beeb have two atomic clocks located in the basement of yalding house i believe.

I'm a bit of a music tech head and this has been getting on my nerves for a while now to the point i don't listen to it anymore as they have not only ruined the sound but also destroyed the weekend lineup. <*<

The bbc by far has the best studios and station sound. They employ the best of the best engineers and when you listen to the likes of radio 1 and 1xtra, it has the perfect sound. Have a listen to it compared to other none bbc stations next time your sat in the car bored.

What is quite interesting is that despite the beeb having the best of the best at a cost of millions, the actual music quality on DAB is only that of a 320kbs MP3 at best and worse on fm. This obviously worsens the smaller the radio station is, i.e regional. This is because there simply isnt the bandwidth to transmit better quality sound, although it would be hard to tell the difference these days with the high quality of the encoders used for audio at the bbc. It is also very expensive for the best hardware.

Anyway, rant over.

Dan the Geek

triumphjon

Re: Galaxy/Capital Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »

sorry ive listened to the bbc radio 2 for years when driving  , ive even got an i player link to my saturday evening on bbc wiltshire 6 till 8 pm with geoff barker ! havnt listenedto commercial radio in decades , they all shout at you and the adverts get on your nerves !

fatcat123

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »

I only listen to radio 1, asian network and panjabi radio on dab as i like asian music aswell !

wartsilaone

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »

Try Kiss fm. You probably can not get it in Yorkshire on FM but you can get it online.

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

Ive listened to it on DAB in the car, Same sort of thing as Galaxy used to be, not bad to be fair.

wartsilaone

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »

What type of music do you like?

fatcat123

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:09:05 pm »

well, i'll listen to anything on the radio but my main love is trance and progressive and my favourite dj being armin van buuren. He's been voted number 1 for 4 years running.

I'm getting in the technical challenges in making my own tunes.

wartsilaone

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »

Well you are in look because his show starts at 12 o'clock on kiss.

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:56 pm »

In this house its FiveLive radio or my own CDs usually 80s era  - Im a sad old ***

Geoff

fatcat123

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:38 pm »

Well you are in look because his show starts at 12 o'clock on kiss.

Ahh, i download his ASOT show on thursday night immediately after its broadcast on DI radio.

wartsilaone

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

I'm for 90s stuff but I do feel the same these days.

wartsilaone

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »

I do catch it on DI some times but I usually forget or have to get to bed or something like that.

fatcat123

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:45 pm »

If you search for the asot number i.e 504 on google and then put sbd (source by dj) after it, you can often download it. otherwise they are availalbe on many torrent sites.

personally i have every episode every made and it totals to around 80gb's worth.

His radioshow is yet another topic to talk about. If you listen closely, especially through headphones, you hear the effects of some compression he;s using. It sounds good but its a closely guarded secret as to what program it is. It sounds strange aswell and is know as (The ASOT Sound)

wartsilaone

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:26 pm »

It still sounds pretty good. Armen is one of my faves too along with Tiesto and Ferry Corsten and a few more.

fatcat123

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »

Ahh thats were our similarity ends. I can personally mix better than DJ Tiesto. How he was ever number one is beyond me.

Armins productions are so clear and crisp although the majority of his personal tunes aren't that good in my opinion.

Ferry is ok, i was at an ibiza closing party when he was playing many years ago.

stoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:17 pm »

Armen is one of my faves too along with Tiesto and Ferry Corsten and a few more.

Not as good as Terry Wogan  {-)

Paul

fatcat123

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:12 pm »

hmm.. everyone to their own an' all.  ;D

wartsilaone

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:49:19 pm »

It's the music I like, not necissarlly the art of DJing. I have some pioneer CDJs and mixer so I appreciate the skills involved in mixing.

wartsilaone

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:51:47 pm »

Hey I'm from Scarborough too. This is becoming the East Yorks Thread.

fatcat123

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 06:57:55 am »

Lol,

Armin uses Ableton live to make his ASOT show as hes always on the road and makes the show while on the plane etc.

I use the same program also.

I use to use cdj's many years ago but havn't touched any since. i'm out of practice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.