Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Destroyer Hull  (Read 4108 times)

Propslip

Unknown Destroyer Hull
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:46:02 am »

I have an old destroyer hull but I am not sure which ship. It is 49 inches long with a beam of 5.5 inches. Any ideas anyone.

pugwash

Re: Unknown Destroyer Hull
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:55:27 am »

If its 1/96 scale 49 inches equates roughly to 390 feet which means it is the Daring class built just after WW II
Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:59:01 am »

Propslip

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:38 am »

I did think Daring but the bow on the model is dead straight. Darings had a pronounced curve to them.
                                             Propslip

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:55 am »

The hull may be incorrect but this was the only destroyer of that size - the next biggest was the battle class at 379 feet which would make
the hull 47  1/2 inches

Geoff

Propslip

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:25 am »

The hull maybe inaccurate but that would be a bad mistake. The bow is very WWII & of coarse the scale may not be 1/96, it maybe 1/72 or something.
                          Propslip

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:04 am »

It does look as though the hull has been plated to show a rivetted construction - the last rivetted destroyer hull was the Battles.
The darings are a continuation of the battles as it had been decided to build a 3 turret version of the battles about 20 feet longer than the
standard battle hull - this was cancelled with the end of the war then resurrected in the darings but by that time they had decided on a welded hull
though the Daring, Decoy and Diana were built with a mixture of welding and rivetting construction.  Course we are assuming it is British but by the
shape it doe look a british design.
Sorry can't help further.

Geoff

Yarpie

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:53:47 am »

Square transom shows it to be later than J Class, but in this instance, the transom is almost too square (the outer edges were rounded) which would suggest Daring Class..

The straight stem indicates post J Class, but certainly not Daring Class as Pugwash states.

Your hull is almost certainly 1:96 scale given the length, but the beam would suggest it is not an Emergency War Class , it is too wide. The plating is correct and the number of scuttles too. Forecastle break is in the traditional position.

So you may have a hybrid on your hands. Does it look hand moulded??

One benefit is, with the wider beam, stability problems will diminish. %)

pugwash

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17:13 am »

Yarpie With  the dimensions given it could only be a daring - too big for any other british destroyer The shape is all wrong though -
transom Far to wide and no curve on the bow (which I couldnt really see with the ngle of the photo.  It is either a foreign ship
(unlikely) or a very poor copy of a battle or daring.  Quite happy to be corrected but I can't think of anything else
Geoff

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »

It is going to be a Daring hull. Both Models By Design and Deans Marine list a 1/96 Daring hull in their ranges, which both match your dimensions. Both firms produce the hulls with full plating detail so it seems fair to assume it is one or the other. As far as scale accuracy is confirmed, I would defer to Yarpie on the subject, font of all knowledge and all that ( or he knows someone who is ok2 ).
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Propslip

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 02:40:52 pm »

Surely the Deans Daring is from the first Daring class Destroyers of the 1930's
               Propslip

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »

Deans do a full kit of the prewar D class for £257 and in their Mouldeans series they do a hull and plan of the post war Daring
the prewar hull is far to small for the hull you have there. so what you have is a poorly made postwar daring hull with plating (should'nt be there) and straight bow (should be curved)
both are in 1/96 scale
Geoff

Propslip

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback over this hull. I now concur it is probably a Post WWII Daring Class. Out of interest Models by Design do the Diamond, I have done some checking on this ship & blueprintbox shows her with quite straight bow in 1955. Also in Niel MacCarts Daring book on page 43 she has a very pronounced curve (1963) but by 1967 Page 44 the bow is near straight. In 1964 she collided a& seriously damaged HMS Salisbury. Just maybe this led to a bow repair that straightened it out somewhat. This was not the first time Diamond had to have a new bow in 1953 she collided with the cruiser Swiftsure & lost her bow. If the hull was based on the 1955 plan post Swiftsure collision that would maybe explain the straighter bow. Anyway as I have a full spare set of fittings for a Battle class I am going to chop off the stern, lose 2 inches & build it as a Battle!!
                                                                Propslip

pugwash

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »

Propslip, having only last week finished a battle class albeit the radar picket HMs Aisne I give you the correct dimensions - length 47  3/8 inches beam 5 1/4 inches but the transom
tapers right in and is only 2 3/4inches  wide  unlike the Daring which has a much bigger rear end.  It could be quite an awkward job to get the correct shape

Geoff

there are several pics of the stern on post 19

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26142.0#bot

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.