Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Navy Destroyers  (Read 2620 times)

Propslip

Royal Navy Destroyers
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:15:38 am »

Last year I bought a huge collection of stuff on Royal Navy Destroyers. There are 23 albums filled with some 2,000 photos, drawings, maps, sketches & a few poems. The span the complete period from 1896 up to the County Class. There are multiple pictures of most ships. Each ship is described & there are highly detailed accounts of any engagements that the ships took part in. I bought the collection unseen intending to sell it on but having seen it, I have now added to it & filled in the few gaps present. There are pictures or drawings of all destroyers since 1920 except the Hunt Class Grove & the four stacker St Marys. About 30 pre 1920 types are not pictured the majority being Admiralty M, R & S classes. I would love to know who compiled this collection, the only clue is the initials RH on most of the sketches, I know its a long shot but any ideas anyone. I have put a few pictures on to show what I have. The exact dating of some of the sketches make me think the complier was probably a naval officer in WWII.

pugwash

Re: Royal Navy Destroyers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:20:55 am »

Looks as though you have a little gem there. Lucky so and so. If you ever consider selling let me know

Geoff

Propslip

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:42:02 am »

I bought them. to sell but now it has become my bedtime reading every night. I really hope to complete this collection now but I guess there will be some I can never get pictures of, have to check public records I think & shipbuilders archives. I sense maybe two people were involved building the collection maybe Father & Son.
                                         Propslip

raymond

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:04 am »

I do not know if it is possible to find out but the Royal Navy records may show an officer that served by the name of R. Henden
             Ray

Propslip

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:48:49 am »

Sadly there were many officer with the initials RH. I have serched the internet for people who sketched & wrote about RN destroyer but no real luck till now. The name Roger Hill was mentioned he Wrote Destroyer Captain after WWII moved abroad but died in New Zealand. Is there any reason you mentioned the name you did. Another name suggested was R Adm Ronald Hopwood he wrote sketched & wrote poetry about the Royal Navy but so far I have nothing positive.
                                                  Propslip

raymond

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:32:01 am »

Hi Propslip
               only that the first pic.showed it called the Hendon Album and you say the sketches were initialed R.H.I thought it may be a line to investigate,its a fantastic find and I hope you have some luck in finding the author
                  Ray

Yarpie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:36:22 am »

Propslip,

I have sent you a PM. :-)

Propslip

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:03:17 am »

The album name is just that. Its a style of collectors album able to take various sized sleeves. They are still on sale today.
                                        Propslip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.