Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logging tug "Orient Bay/Nipigon"  (Read 10086 times)

ZZ56

Logging tug "Orient Bay/Nipigon"
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:09:27 am »

Hi all,

Been working on a new project, thought I'd share it.  It's getting late here but I will endeavour to at least put up a couple of posts of photos taken during the build so far.  I've been working on it since November, slowed down by school, exams and soon summer co-op placement.

THE TUG is based closely off the Magpie, Nipigon and Orient Bay, 3 near-sisters built in 1938 for the Abitibi Power and Paper Company of Canada.  The Magpie was launched for service on the Great Lakes and the other two were shipped north in prefabricated sections to Lake Nipigon.  They were all just under 100' in length, of modest power for towing log booms from river mouths to mills.  Two of the three are still in use today by Purvis Marine. 

ZZ56

Re: Logging tug "Orient Bay/Nipigon"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:24 am »

THE MODEL is 1/32nd scale, giving a length of around 36 inches and a beam of 10.  It's fairly shallow-draft, as you can see, with two 50mm props.  Everything from the deck up is based on the actual GA plans from Marine Industries, and the hull was built using free lines for a dutch ocean tug, heavily modified to fit the curves of the smaller vessel.  The actual lines plans are not around anymore and the stern area is quite complicated with built in Kort Nozzles. 

Ballast chambers in the rear hold steel powder, the rest is taken up by two 7AH batteries

I wanted a cooling system, so i put one in.  It's completely unnecessary but it adds a bit of life to the model.  12v BMW pump running off 3v, near silent, worked like a charm in bathtub trials

ZZ56

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:31 am »

Fake hawsepipes, a rudder and an overall view with the styrene sub-deck installed.

ZZ56

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:11:12 am »

Sorry for the delay, photobucket was having problems.  Here's the deck being glued on and a closeup of the twin 50mm props.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:54:33 am »

Hi there  ZZ56

Lovely work (far too neat  %)  ) and a nice subject. Looking forward to more.

What's a co-op placement?

Over here the Co-op is a shop alledgedly owned by its customers.

All the best

Doug
Don't Assume Check

ZZ56

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 02:22:46 am »

It's a work placement for my program (stationary engineering).  In order to get my ticket, i need qualifying time in a registered steam plant.  I get nine months from the school's lab and then i have to find somewhere to work over the summer to get the other 3, and then I get my 4th class ticket.  I think it means cooperative education.

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm taking my time and trying to make this as neat as possible like all the fine builds i see on here, and also mounting a lot of things on plates so that i can service them or modify them as i gain experience.

ZZ56

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:20 am »

Bulwarks on, being trimmed an even height all around.  Had to laminate the tight curve at the stern out of three thin pieces.  :-)

ZZ56

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 05:48:12 am »

superstructure and hatch work

ZZ56

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:57 am »

my goodness it's been TOO LONG between updates!  so sorry!  I've just recovered all the data from my old computer, which crashed not too long ago.

coming later tonight, updates on the cabin trim and hull front

ZZ56

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:26 am »

upper basecoat on, need to add fender tiedowns and freeing port hinges on the other side before the final paint goes on

pilothouse in progress, needs mounting brackets and positioning 'lugs' so it can be easily slid into the correct position after it's finished and painted. 

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:33 am »

At long last, paint on the hull!  Everything went very well... far too well for me, now I'm suspicious. 

After due consideration, and a lot of cursing, I decided that a spiffy all-white paint scheme was not going to happen.  Getting a good white finish that isn't blaringly bright or dirty, that doesn't show flaws and that goes on smoothly without drips or runs is something for the masters to attempt, not I.  I went with the same colour scheme as my other tug, since they're in the same scale and from the same region.  Gravel & Lake Towing, formerly Western Engineering of Port Arthur, Ontario.

ZZ56

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:23:41 am »

float test with 2 seven amp-hour batteries.  Going to have to watch the weight on this one.   {:-{

ZZ56

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:47 am »

Current state:

working on a smoke generator, weight permitting

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 03:55:49 am »

The tug's looking great. Nice neat work.
 I was through the Purvis yard at the end of this August. They have some impressive equipment there for the Great Lakes. The Scott Purvis doesn't appear to have moved from your picture at the start of this thread. (see my pic from August)
 How's the Stationary ticket coming. I'm an Ontario 2nd myself.

John

ZZ56

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:17 am »

Hi john,

I don't know how much work Purvis Marine gets but I wouldn't be surprised.  The Scott and Ivan Purvis are both 'harbour sized' tugs; the bigger units like the Reliance and Anglian Lady seem to be in greater demand.  At least Purvis does a good job of keeping them in shape and painted up nicely.  

Stationary ticket is coming along well, thanks for asking.   :-)  I'm a fourth now, going to be writing the first third-class exam this coming wednesday at school.  I hear there is going to be a shortage of seconds due to retirement in upcoming years, but I'm not totally convinced that isn't just college propaganda to get people in the doors.  The people I worked with over the summer said they didn't see any immediate retirement-fest in the near future.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:33 am »

Hi john,

Stationary ticket is coming along well, thanks for asking.   :-)  I'm a fourth now, going to be writing the first third-class exam this coming wednesday at school.  I hear there is going to be a shortage of seconds due to retirement in upcoming years, but I'm not totally convinced that isn't just college propaganda to get people in the doors.  The people I worked with over the summer said they didn't see any immediate retirement-fest in the near future.

Congratulations. The testing and time served for testing has changed a lot since I did my exams. I thought it was a dieing trade myself, but that's probably my view when compared to what was available when I started.
 Keep up the good work...on the ticket and the tug.

John

ZZ56

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »

Dreadstar

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:51 am »

Beautiful work there ZZ56,you should be rightly proud of what you've achieved so far. :-)) :-)) O0 O0

ZZ56

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 08:58:12 am »

Thanks very much, Dreadstar, it doesn't feel like I'm moving forward at all some days but no major regrets so far.  I'll get some better pics when I can borrow my dad's workbench and the gooseneck lamps all over it.

ben hall

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 01:48:31 pm »

looks reely nice  :-)) i tried planking the back 9of my old tug but couldnt get it to look nice so removed it  <:(

kk

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:53 am »

Re-regged a new account, just in time for the latest batch of photos.  Well, three is a batch, isn't it?

All running gear in and hull is done, as soon as I can fasten the pilothouse and stack down, I can take her out for sea trials. 

I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Ferry cross the Mersey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 09:14:19 am »

Fantastic build, very neat and tidy. Look forward to seeing her on the water. Well done, your attention to detail is superb. It's not easy getting nice neat lines & curves.

Thanks Antony
Nothing right now. Waiting for the right project. Come on Carl. FEV on the horizon!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.