Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dual speed controllers for tugs  (Read 3127 times)

Bernhard Becker

dual speed controllers for tugs
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »

I am in the process of building a 1/32 scale tug of the SAR&H J R More. I would like to use dual speed controllers to control the two motors. The features I am looking at is for both motors being able run forward or backwards and when manoeuvring to be able to run one motor forwards and one in reverse.
Can any one recommend any system that will be able to perform these functions?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: dual speed controllers for tugs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »

Dave at Action Electronics makes just what you want. The P 94 Esc. Click on the Action logo on the forum index
page. Ive two units both do exactly as required. They are two Escs in one box with mixer function. John.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

Personally I am not a fan of an all in one solution and prefer to get the best bits for each individual task.

I would get 2 Microgyros Esc's  www.microgyros.com/index.html
and the P40c mixer from Action http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:45 pm »

I understand that from Actions description the P40 Mixer only slows appropiate motor and does not put one into reverse. Iam i right about this. The P94 does give full motor control. John.

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »

P40C is a compound mixer. If you apply full rudder without any throttle then both motors remain stopped. If you then apply a little throttle (while still holding full rudder) the inner motor goes into reverse at full speed and the outer motor runs ahead at full speed. Back off the steering and the "mix" moves the motor speeds closer together, albeit still in opposing directions. At full rudder plus full throttle the inner motor is just stopped. Don't ask me why - that's the way Craig Talbot designed it after much consultation and feedback (hence it's currently on version C) and it seems to suit many users. My feeling is that it's a wee bit fierce for faster models and, of course, there is no mix adjustment available.
P94 has a much more adjustable mix. If you want a full description - with diagrams - then have a look at the website. There are over 1000 P94s in use out there, many of which are fitted in tugs.
DM

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:43:20 pm »

Thanks for explaing . John.

kinmel

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:50 pm »

I can give you another reason for choosing ACTion's P94.

Last Sunday I refitted the electrics into my Yorkshireman and somehow managed to switch the polarity of the power supplying the P94.

As you imagine that blew something in the P94 and I was left with a smelly black box.

I emailed Dave at ACTion on Sunday evening and had a reply first thing Monday saying the unit was repairable and to post it to him.

It arrived at ACTion yesterday and arrived back to me first thing this morning, fully repaired. Same day repair and posted back that day too.

So what did it cost for the replacement of at least the 4 components I can see, Dave's labour and tracked next day return postage and packing ?

£11.52 including VAT !  :-))

An incredible service.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:19:33 pm »

There is also the F14 Navy transmitter with twin sticks. You have full control over each motor independently and have to use the mixer that's between your ear's. I find it much better than relying on electronics to do it for you and you can get a boat to do things that would not be possible with a mixer.

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/robbe-f14-navy-2354-0.html

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:22 pm »

Great is the respect I have for Action's gear  :-)) , but I too have to go with the separate sticks, twin ECSs plus rudder. Same as the real thing that I was brought up on and I like being in full control. I didn't go as far as the twin stick Navy TX, just a standard  6 channel box with the springs replaced with ratchet movement. I also added a bow thrust on the X axis of the left stick. With a little lot  :} of practice, the tug will dance nicely!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.