Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Tug "Dundrum Bay"  (Read 4979 times)

Geoff Cropper

Steam Tug "Dundrum Bay"
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:24 am »

Hi.   I was browsing through Google images the other day and found pics and plans of a steam tug "Dundrum Bay" modelled at 1/100th scale.       Has anyone seen this? and who made the model ?              It would make an excellent project for scaling up, maybe 36inch LOA.     Regards   Geoff.                       Here's the pics.          The plans are too large to post here.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam Tug "Dundrum Bay"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:56:21 am »

Hello

I know who's made this model as he's a friend of me. I've taken this pics some years ago

She's tiny but well to tow bigger model (towed model is 90cm long)

Then Laurent built also this nice one

I'll give you Laurent's E-mai via private message.

A+ Xtian

Laurent

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:55:37 pm »

Hi Geoff,

I'm the guy who conceived "Dundrum Bay" (DD), if you have any further inquiries, just shoot!

I sent the DD plans a long while ago to the Mayhem site manager, he did put the plans right here on this very site.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Modellers/Laurent/1ndex.htm

Regards,

Laurent

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:13 pm »

Hey! Laurent!!

You made the Zinnia, I think? (Must be the same Laurent!)

Welcome to Mayhem - I hope you'll post some more of your ships here. They've truly been inspirations for me.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Laurent

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:37:38 am »

You made the Zinnia, I think? (Must be the same Laurent!)

Welcome to Mayhem - I hope you'll post some more of your ships here. They've truly been inspirations for me.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, it's me, I'll show very soon pictures of Zinnia and my other builds as well...

Laurent

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:38:13 am »

Hi Laurent,      Many thanks for your kind reply, keep up the good work, we're all waiting for the next set of pictures.       She's a powerful little blighter, that's for sure.            Kind regards,   Geoff.

Laurent

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »

Hi all,

Dundrum Bay was my second scratch built model, back in 1998, my first one being a 1920's freighter.

I wanted a tug model to pull that cargo ship. As I wanted a model able to carry standard RC equipment, no mini RC gear which was very expensive at that time.

I didn't really had any experience about drafting a hull, so I searched here and there some plans, I didn't have internet at that time, so I started on a blank empty paper. I looked for inspiration in several books, and drew three different superstructures, to be put on the same hull.

"DD" at scale 1/100 is 32 centimeters long, about 9 centimeters broad with a 5 centimeter draught. Weight is about 500 grams. motorisation was done with a Graupner set, reference 1147, which includes a 280 Speed motor, a 2 to 1 reduction gear and a propeller shaft with ditto 30 mm prop. I've put a 35mm prop on it, within a "Kort" nozzle, the blades being filed back to 30mm, this was the internal diameter of the nozzle.

Hull is "plank-on-frames", plating has been done in thin carboard, as the superstructures, bulwark, funnel, etc, all the paper being soaked with a PU resin to get it completely watertight.

I have no pictures of the building anymore, but as I'll explain in other topics my way of doing stuff, you'll get the idea later...

Regards,

Laurent

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:23:37 am »

Hi Laurent,    I noticed when I enlarged one of the pictures of D-D-B that the rudder seems to be controlled by two lines port & starboard.       Could you explain how they go from tiller to servo please.     Many thanks.          Regards,  Geoff.

Laurent

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »

Hi Geoff,

I did install a system like on real tugs of that time, the rudder is connected to the servo through nylon fishing wires, on real ships it was with chains and rods:

Regards,

Laurent

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:40 pm »

Laurent,  Many thanks indeed for your reply and diagram.     Regards  Geoff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.