Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon or Offshore Warrior? Which is faster?  (Read 2887 times)

ixion

Dragon or Offshore Warrior? Which is faster?
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:41 am »

Hi guys,

After playing about with a Club 500 for a year or so I want something faster. Anyone have experience of the Dragon ARPRO 700EP http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Products/Boats/ALL-RC-BOATS/9495-/5502400-DRAGON-ARPRO-700EP-BOAT-RC-READY or is the Joysway Offshore Warrior a better bet?
I have read a couple of threads on here about the Offshore Warrior but there doesn't seem to be much information about the Dragon!

Anyone have any experiences or opinions, thanks.

John Mk2

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dragon or Offshore Warrior? Which is faster?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:57 am »

Hi Ixion,

Take a look here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065830&highlight=arpro

The boat in stock form is already very quick, I managed to flip it in the first 50 yards on the maiden run...
Like all "RTR", you'll need to unbolt everything that can be unbolted and 'rebuild'the boat with loctite for all screws and sealant on all through hull parts.

After you've gone through the plastic props, which are rather fragile, alter the shaft, by shortening it on the motorside, so you can run standard Graupner K-series props.
You'll be amazed at the increase in speed.

Depending on how high the shaft exits the transom, you'll be able to fit props up to 45 mm (2318.45K).

The stock 1520KV outrunner is very economical and gives you long runtimes.

As you can see in the topic in the link, I've made 'some' changes to the boat to make it race legal, the best addition is the floodchamber, as the boat floats disturbingly stable upside down...

Make sure to tape the hatch, as it's not really watertight and do check the fake exaustpipes on the lid, mine were open, causing the boat to fill with water rapidly after a flip.

Let me know if you need more information.

The much smaller Offshore Warrior is an entire different story; docile on 2S and virtually uncontrollable on 3S, not quite my cup of tea, I like the smooth sailing og the Arpro better.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Nige52

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:51:48 pm »

I have the Joysway Offshore Warrior, the brushless version and a mate has the Arpro. The Warrior is neigh on uncontrollable on 3 cell but manageable on 2 cell. The Arpro on the other hand is a much bigger boat, more impressive too. If I had the choice again, I'd buy the Arpro if I had to choose between the two. I love my little Warrior you understand as it's so small and blisteringly fast, but the Arpro will handle better at the higher speed, hope this helps...
Nige  :-)

ixion

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »

Thanks Jan and Nige for the information. Arpro it is then!
That was a very informative link you posted Jan. Can either of you tell me what connectors are used on the Arpro for a LiPo battery, is it Deans?

Thanks.   :-))

John Mk2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:15 pm »

4mm gold bullet's  ok2 Was on dean's. MUCH better on 4mm  :-))

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:42:28 am »

Can either of you tell me what connectors are used on the Arpro for a LiPo battery, is it Deans?
Thanks.   :-))
Hi ixion,

Regardless of what the manufacturers equip their ESC, or Lipo with, I change the connectors to 4 mm bullets, as I have that standard on all y stuff up to 4S.
Above that 5,5 or 6 mm goldplated connectors take over, as the thickness of the wiring also grows.

I had a brief fling with Deans (still have two bags of them in the spare drawer), but found them extremely awkward to solder on thick wires, after a number of attempts, a lot of foul language and making gadgets to hold the items during the soldering, I gave up and went back to 4mm goldplated connectors...

Have fun with your ARPRO!

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.