Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor or esc  (Read 3001 times)

LarryW

motor or esc
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:28:42 pm »

HI ,can Any body help me with a problem with set up o my john king tug ?..
   motor runs but it it is not consent, it pulses ,but when run on direct power no problem.....
  the set up is MFA como geared 919d and a mtronicks 20 amp viper marine on 12vlt power .
 the motor is suppressed and fused , check wiring and soldered points, seems OK ....
 so what have i done wrong/?.......is there a better set up can you help a old new commer.....LARRY W....

ACTion

Re: motor or esc
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

so what have i done wrong? LARRY W....
Nothing at all, Larry. PM sent.
DM

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

Do you have the suppied suppressor fitted to the motor, or a set of three?. Three seems to help with these motors as they are a bit 'spikey' with only one suppression capacitor fitted.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:44:22 pm »

Speed controller cant take the drawn power of the motor

Stav

wartsilaone

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:17 pm »

I have the same set up. At scale speeds all works fine, however on full throttle the motors do momentarily cut out. This dose suggest that the speed controllers are being overloaded when pushed too far. You could try setting up your speed controller to give the motor a lower top speed or Get a bigger speed controller.

nick_75au

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:14:29 am »

What size prop?

Nick

LarryW

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:29 am »

hi all thank you for advice , the prop size's 60mm brass 3 blade ,
 i think i go for a new speed controller , i view a few wen i go to south west show, if i can find a
 honest trader who wont take addvanage of a beginner on a low income......LARRY..

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »

What gearbox have you got on the motor? The mfa's come with a variety. For that size of prop you want fairly low revs and  you should have a 6:1 reduction minimum or 11:1.

The controller should easily be able to handle that motor in my opinion, unless you have a duff one, in which case if purchased new and still under warranty, send it back.

If you have an ammeter, you can measure the current draw direct when powered direct from the battery by holding the boat stationary and applying full power. This will give a higher load than normal, but it presents worst case scenario.

Andy

wartsilaone

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

My motors have 11:1 gearboxes driving 50mm props and this still make a difference to the motor load when in the water. At home on the bench I can run the motors at full speed continuously without any interruptions, however on the water I have to run them at 90% which is fine for me and the boat.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

2 year warranty on Viper esc's if you ain't chopped the leads and they usually do a swop no questions asked.

Worth looking at if you want to save a few bob and you get a product that has had a full test procedure are the
test samples on the web site Mtronics that is
Prices work out at about a £ an Amp which saves a few bob.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

wartsilaone

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:11 pm »

Yes I would agree with the last post. Mine are Mtronics and they are good quality, good value, waterproof and pretty bulletproof.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »

Larry simply one name that springs to mind ACTion ........why........he is an HONEST trader forget the rest buy the BEST

NO connection with ACTion JUST a satisfied customer who keeps going back for more

Stav

LarryW

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »

hi all, all good advice ,striped out motor and esc, going for action esc and mobile marine motor,
see if that combo will work , it dos in the CHARLOCK and two traders i no, so what you think LARRY....

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »

Good move

Stav
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.