Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle electric motors?.  (Read 1663 times)

derfledermause

Vehicle electric motors?.
« on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »

Hello good people. I have acquired a number of motor car cooling fan motors, the ones that are mounted behind the radiator. These are of unknown vintage but probably the least used of all the vehicles motors. They all work on 12 volts DC and take around 1 Amp no load, varying to 2 to 3.5 Amps with load applied (grip output shaft with gloved hand and squeeze hard). Unfortunately the case sizes vary somewhat, no two are the same.
My question is; has anyone used one of these type of motors in a model boat, can the speed be controlled by a electronic ESC? and how did it perform. From reading posts on the net, one of the problems I envisage is that of fitting suppression capacitors to the motors, also basic calculation: Volts * amps, 12*3.5= 42watts. Probably OK for a sedate speed but no use if you have a planing hull.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
derfledermause.

nick_75au

Re: Vehicle electric motors?.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:51:11 am »

Under a reasonable load they draw about 5 amps, this is spinning a big prop 70 mm+ in diameter, they are ideal for tugs and other displacement vessels, slow turning props take surprisingly little power, 100 mm prop at 1500 RPM only needs 120 watts, they are quite popular for this type of vessel. There is no problem driving them off an ESC. Most will probably be suppressed already, to prevent interference in the vehicles radio.

Nick

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:30:30 am »

As long as they are permanent magnet motors, there should be no problem.  Permanent magnet motors became the norm on cars when radiator fans became electric rather than fanbelt driven, so that problem should be out of the way.  They are usually better built than hobby motors, and less prone to creating sparks, but suppression is no problem, the usual capacitor across the terminals will do the job.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derfledermause

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:20:16 am »

Gentleman, May I thank you for your replies to my question. 1hrs work at the local motor car scrap yard, I acquired 6 motors for £10. Unfortunately non of them are identical, differing diameters and lengths. What price a universal motor mount to take any of these motors?.
derfledermause.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »

You could ask mark of Mmb if he could produce anything suitable. Most boat Motors have the end threaded
to fastern mount to. A v block mounting using a Jubilee strap might be your best bet to have an adjustable
mount. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.