Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monsoon 900 yacht  (Read 4428 times)

Patrick Henry

Monsoon 900 yacht
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:28:48 am »

Couple of questions regarding the Monsoon 900 if you don't mind, gentlemen...

The material used for the standing rigging seems to have a built in tendency to twist badly...it makes life hard when trying to rig the boat single handedly. What would be the best material to swap it with?

The bulb and the keel fin seem to have a lot of 'wobble'...would it better to epoxy the fin into the hull instead of just relying on the bolt supplied? Or would it be a better idea to replace the whole fin with a new one made from alloy or stainless steel?

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Monsoon 900 yacht
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:17:37 am »

Rigging cord.
Dacron cord 25kg from sailsetc.com is fine for the job.

Wobbly fin is not a massive problem, unless you race. If you glue it you are 'stuck' with it so to speak. Also you will increase stress in the hull where the fin joins it.
If you want to race you will need a compliant boat for the class you want to race in. I am not sure that the monsoon is compliant to any class.

Making your own fin and bulb from alloy, etc. I am not sure the Monsoon justifies such extravagance.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:45 am »

Thank you TT, that's what I needed to know. No, I'll not be racing it, it's just a relaxation boat, something to sail on the local lake when I don't really want to take a sub out.

Point taken re. the glueing of the fin, I just wondered if the 'wobbley fin' might be a fault.

Thanks for the help...

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »

TT...here's another one for you.

Another little job to do....found a nasty little hole in hull...see pic.

Oh, and those railings you mentioned in your build log, the ones around the bow? Mine fell off on one side, so I've removed the other one now. And that silly flimsy cover that goes over the radio hatch...mine was practically transparent, it was that thin, and as bent as a banana, so I've replaced with a new one made from 2mm styrene sheet, fitted with an O ring seal and four brass bolts, same principle as the watertight box cover on a sub. For charging the rx battery and to gain access to the on/off switch, I've fitted a screw cap cut from a fizzy drink bottle. Pic of  that to follow when the glue is dry.

And a question for you...the instructions say to tape the aerial wire around the mast, now I reckon that's going to make life difficult when de rigging the boat to get into my car, so I plan to run the wire out at the stern end and up a tube...you think that would be ok?

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:39:46 am »

Ref hole
I am not expert but would use P38 Isopon.

Ref antenna. In my other boat it is inside the hull and works fine.
On my Monsoon I taped at 3inch intervals with black electrical tape, which can be moved and replaced easily.

Also to transport you can just slacken off the shrouds and lie the mast along the deck, without de-rigging.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:58 am »

Hi TT,

Yes, I figured P38 might do the job, have some somewhere in all my junk. Little job for tomorrow, methinks.

I'm looking forward to being able to sail this thing...it was supposed to be a quick, almost ready to sail job...now it's turned into almost a full rebuild. I've now removed all the deck furniture..all those strange little scale things that were dotted about have gone, all sanded smooth and ready for my adopted daughter's partner to respray. He's a sprayer by trade, so he's going to totally respray the whole thing.

Thanks for the help TT...

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 01:48:03 pm »

Hi Rich

Any chance of a photo of the screw cap from the pop bottle?

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:18 pm »

Couple of questions regarding the Monsoon 900 if you don't mind, gentlemen...
The material used for the standing rigging seems to have a built in tendency to twist badly...it makes life hard when trying to rig the boat single handedly. What would be the best material to swap it with?
The bulb and the keel fin seem to have a lot of 'wobble'...would it better to epoxy the fin into the hull instead of just relying on the bolt supplied? Or would it be a better idea to replace the whole fin with a new one made from alloy or stainless steel?
Rich
After making the now well documented fixes to my Monsoon, I was able to sail her for over two years with out any issues.
The keel pockets fit on Shunbo boats seem to vary from boat to boat. Some are near perfect, some are sloppy and require bonding. I have not seen any hull cracks as a result of bonding the keel into the keel box. Their hulls are generally speaking the boat's best feature.
There has been volumes written on how to fix these boats, I won't go into any great detail, other that to restate, that the masts on these boats should be reinforced at the joint, and the electronics hatch cover will leak excessively and has to be modified to prevent water damages.
Winchaser
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.