Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dive-in to Summer June 11th and 12th 2011  (Read 20741 times)

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dive-in to Summer June 11th and 12th 2011
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:39 am »

Thanks David! :-)
Flood hole's on the real thing..... sorry can't help. I have the problem of getting air out of the hull without turning it into a collander! I've covered most with model tank etch brass gauze to try and keep it looking ok, but that causes problems with surface tension and "light" bubbles won't go through... I have heard that a thin smear washing up liquid help's to reduce this but does anyone have any other ideas? {:-{

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »

Here are the bow grilles on the underside of the Vanguard. You have a similar arrangement at the stern. If the Jecobin plans are to be believed, the middle section of the Vangaurd is totally dry, with only the upper casing and forward and aft spaces free flooding.

You can try waxing the underside of the boat, also worth getting the surface as smooth as you can- OTW use CSM for their lay-ups, so you can sand this back a bit (don't go too mad!), that will help stability and freeboard too. Surface tension on the grilles can't really be eliminated at 1/100 scale! The flat deck of the Vanguard class isn't a big help either. Probably the best way would be to make the missile hatches hinged, put some weights on the underside of each one, then as the boat dives the air should open them until expelled, and the weights will close the hatch back up again. Or control them with a small servo. Even if you just made a couple of those, it would help enormously.

Now you know why earlier boats had so many holes and slots cut into them- they had to dive quickly and trapped air was as much of a concern with 1:1 boats as the miniature versions.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »

@ bonehead. The old washing up trick realy do's work the soap breaks the surface tention and helps get ridd of clingy (?) air bubbles
get one of them spray bottles full of water with a blob of washing up liquid then just spray your sub, job done

Regards Mark

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:22 pm »

:-))
@ bonehead. The old washing up trick realy do's work the soap breaks the surface tention and helps get ridd of clingy (?) air bubbles
get one of them spray bottles full of water with a blob of washing up liquid then just spray your sub, job done

Regards Mark
Thank's for that, Mark! Just done a "Skip Dive" through the bin and found an old shower sprayer that ran out this morning so I've taken the tip and will try it out on Sunday but it should help! ;)

Nice photo Subculture, have added it to my file - the slot's are marked on the OTW hull but I opted, as they are not so visual, to use the old 10mm drill at intervals along the bottom.... quite a few. I have used mesh to enhance the detail of the slot's you illustrated but didn't cut them out. The boat take's on water like a camel but has a tendency to, ahem, trap wind so to speak! Sunday will be a good trial, as Dennis Pond and I got it going perfectly in his test tank but at Wicksteed it was troublesome, but then it was as rough as.... a very rough thing and twice as windy! I'm bringing some lead weight's and also another prop to try but that is slightly heavier so I'm a bit reluctant to try that without a test tank trial....I'll see how it goes! 

Cheer's
Jim

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »

Is it ok to take pictures as a spectator
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

andyn

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 10:22:06 pm »

I did ;)

thegrimreaper

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:30 am »

Is it ok to take pictures as a spectator

As long as they arn't hanging on the wall  {-) {-) {-)

only 1 more sleep

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

No problem with photography at all at this venue, whether spectating or sailing.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2011, 01:18:41 pm »

Well, I've been going down the list, if everyone who says they're coming turns up, I'm looking at about a dozen people on the Saturday- unfortunately one or two people can't make it for the whole weekend, but double that number on the Sunday! Yikes will we all fit in the pool?

As most people bring along two or more models this could mean in excess of forty subs on display!

Right off out into the garden to pray to the sun god.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2011, 01:37:49 pm »

hopfully not just on display hopfully in the water as well not like the place I sail where they turn up and talk talk talk and never put a boat in the water .......................... no I didn't think for one minute it would be like that lol

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 02:24:36 pm »

Well indeed- that's what the pool is there for. Mind you, there is six hours each day to sail. If you can sail continuously for that length of time, you're doing very well (and so are your batteries!).

thegrimreaper

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

Ha Ha get about an hour each out of my Akula batteries I have 4 of them and about an hour out of my U47 batteries I have 2 of them so Andy 6 Hours is possible. wouldn't like to try though the radio would probably die after a couple of hours  %)

trevor v

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 06:47:52 pm »

Hi andy
I will bethere Saturday & sunday  :-))

Van already loaded

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:46 pm »

Well the first day went very well, lovely warm and sunny day, a clear pool and cold beer- doesn't get much better! We had about 24 boats in attendance today, which was a very good showing as this was likely to be the quietest day, with the majority of people coming along tomorrow.

Nice to see quite few newcomers to the Dive-ins, like John Reynolds and Ian Oldham who travelled a considerable distance to the attend this event.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any snaps, as I was kept very busy sorting out frequency allocation and pulling pints! But others were snapping away merrily, and we had a couple of tame scuba divers swimming around with underwater cameras, so video and pictures will come in the next few days. I hope to get a chance to take some pictures tomorrow.

Looking forward to tomorrow now, and hoping those blue skies stay put.

Andy

bobk

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »

Can't wait !   This will be my first sub meet. Only a photo of my K parts coming with me this year.  I look forward to to meeting everyone and seeing some sub action live.  I promise not to ask questions whilst you are trimming to dive  :D

hollowhornbear

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2011, 08:37:40 pm »

Hi Andy, not gonna make it, still got this flu like bug. <:( <:( <:( <:( wish you all the best for the morrow.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »

I leave everything to the last moment... filling the bath testing for leaks as we speak. Will be there first thing Sunday regardless.

trevor v

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 06:44:51 am »

My u177 ran very well till it sunk <:(and then had to be recovered by one of the divers.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2011, 07:24:35 am »

Oh dear..... hope it dried out ok. Leave it a good while before switching anything back on. Roy sank his typhoon last time after forgetting to plug the vent tube and eveything worked fine after. Easy recovery is a big bonus.

trevor v

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »

Oh dear..... hope it dried out ok. Leave it a good while before switching anything back on. Roy sank his typhoon last time after forgetting to plug the vent tube and eveything worked fine after. Easy recovery is a big bonus.
just one servo gone west

silent running556

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh nasty! Have you found the leak or whatever it was?

g4yvm

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2011, 10:34:25 pm »

Here are a few I took.

A very worried look Andy...

Mankster / Ramash

This was a stunning looker

As was this Baleo class boat (I was reprimanded for calling it a Gato...tut tut)

Fabulous Baleo detail

This type vii was my favourite colour scheme (I am so shallow!).  P35, HMS Umbra U Class on the far left.

You can almost smell the torpex here...

Some of Mankster's fleet

Inside

Some great weathering, but the nature of the "yellow" in real life seems vague.  Best not to ask maybe...

Little Holland Class, periscope raised, from Andy (Subculture)

Subsmash rescue team

Rescuing this...

Masters and Commanders

For all the others, please visit my smugmug site here...

http://davidperrypictures.smugmug.com/Other/St-Albans-Dive-In-June-2011/17521592_ckgV3j#1333604855_8grZHM3

It was a fabulous day for me and the boys...

David

g4yvm

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2011, 11:02:47 pm »

Baleo "Blackfin" in her element

It got busy down there

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 09:56:38 am »

LOL. The worried look was the failsafe intermittently kicking in on the pump controller. A little more work to do methinks.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:00 am »

I've seen that look before...  %)

Looks like a great weekend was had by everyone, well done to Andy for his organisational skills.

Rich
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.