Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dive-in to Summer June 11th and 12th 2011  (Read 20739 times)

silent running556

Re: Dive-in to Summer June 11th and 12th 2011
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »

Looks like he's been on the prune juice again. {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »

Oi, behave yourself, only subs floating in that pool!

silent running556

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »

A Caddyshack moment? %)

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 08:40:12 pm »

Hi All!
I had a great day on Sunday and it was realy good to put a few names to faces too. My Vanguard went well, even if I say so myself as it has been a pain in the derrier to get to dive straight....as I said to Subculture - trapped wind can be embarrassing!
I had alot of compliments on the weathering I'd done - I was worried I'd gone too far, which is sooo easy to do and get carried away and so was pleased with the positive response so a big thanks to everyone!

For G4yvm....
     I got the "staining" cue from a photo I found on the OTW Vanguard build thread on hereby "Turbulent". I have absolutely NO idea what it is or caused by but it's there so I painted it... colour not a dead match but hey? If you are interested there are some great photo's on his thread and it was a great help when I was building it.

"Some great weathering, but the nature of the "yellow" in real life seems vague.  Best not to ask maybe..."

Now looking forward to the next meet up.... any idea when that may be anyone???

Cheers to all
Jim

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

I was considering doing a late afternoon into evening Dive-in in early August, if there's sufficient interest. Something a bit different from the usual 10-4pm slot. Could arrange a BBQ, with a bring your own grub policy e.g I provide the facility and charcoal, and leave each person to bring their own choice of nosh, that way there should be no wastage. I can make up some power LED submerging lights to illuminate the pool, once it gets dusky.

Failing that, the next Brockwell Dive-in is scheduled for Sunday 6th November, 10am-4pm as usual. I will make up the flyer and distribute within the next week or so. I wanted to get the Summer event out of the way first.

Andy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:43 pm »

hi Andy, noticed the bbq at St Albans, good venue, bar pool what more do we need, ps I dont mind cooking!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

trevor v

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:06 pm »

Hi Andy,
As i work in the building trade have access to 110v temporary lighting at no cost so  just say the word.

g4yvm

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »

August, yeah!  We'll come.  Fab!!

David

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »

I quite like the idea of an evening sailing with underwater illumination with a BBQ. Nice change from the usual. Will need to gauge interest and see if it works better on a Saturday or Sunday (with people having to get back to work on Monday). What time does it get dark in August I wonder?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:25 pm »

Starts to get dark about 8-8:30pm depending which end of August you're at!  ok2

Thanks for the offer Trevor, good stuff! The only reservation I would have about using strong lighting around the poolside, is that the light tends to bounce off the surface of the water. That's why I considered LED's, being low voltage (so safe to submerge without risk of electrocution), and unlike filament based lamps, they just love the cold. I have a waterproof torch with a P7 LED (that's a 10 watt LED) which is roughly equivalent to a 50 watt halogen lamp (car headlight), so I'm going to take that up in the week and see how much it lights up the pool.

bobk

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »

Many thanks again Andy, I put some nice words up on the other Dive-In photo's thread.  I would definitely be interested in your early August BBQ idea! 
I should at least have my Caswell sub-driver blowing bubbles by radion control by then (tee hee!)  As I wrote on the other thread, keep that long rescue pole handy though.

Bob

Flying Sparks

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

The subs themselves could also be lit up, we fitted some stick on strips of led's to Mikes Unseen for a new years day run around the Cambridge club boating lake. The led's were in the water but the Lipo battery was dry inside the sub.

Count us in for the August evening run, great idea  :-))

Albion

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2011, 02:33:39 am »

yellow / green chemical glow sticks would give it an earie glow, but make sure they dont get too bent and leak, then they look really spooky (dont try this at home)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2011, 01:26:05 pm »

Here's a couple of videos shot by Chris Netherway. It's like 'sub city' in some of these clips!  :}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeEpJ0dNxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dJHHPLfN30

ChrisN

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2011, 06:36:45 pm »

Thanks for a great weekend Andy, Clive and myself really enjoyed it. As you can see I finally found the mayhem page; up until now I never thought that these computer things would catch  on. Great photos, and I see you beat me to it with my videos. Incidentally I had lots of trouble with mhy Flycamone 2; it reset itself and recorded everything upside down. I've spent the last couple of evenings trying to watch videos on an upside down laptop.
A night sail sounds good; we have one of those every december in the Clevedon Model Boat club. The sub likes it, and I've found that LED fairy lights work well; just sacrifice a set of AA batteries for the evening, and plonk them in the water. Of course in Clevedon all I can see is an earilly lit patch of brown water, but its still fun.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

Well thank you to everyone who made the effort to turn-up, and it's also a big thank you to St Albans Sub Aqua Club, for allowing us to host this event once again. We are welcome back next year,  and as the weekend format proved it's worth by encouraging sub modellers from further afield, I will be aiming to host it for the whole weekend once again, so make sure the second weekend in June 2012 is kept clear!  ok2

thegrimreaper

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »

Will be keeping that weekend free for sure even though you cant guarantee the weather Andy. It was nice to see that the bad weather on the Sunday didn't put a dampener on the proceedings. Was well worth the 400 mile round trip thanks again for organising this Andy

Regards Mark

trevor v

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

Hi just a note to say that after it's sinking on Saturday 11th my U177 is up and running,Had it out today at L&DMBC.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2011, 06:51:21 pm »

Glad the 'big flood' wasn't to severe on the elecktrickery.

silent running556

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:54 pm »

I've got this image of people phoning the police about possible UFO sightings and seeing people leaving the pool with big black staring eyes. %%

trevor v

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2011, 09:43:18 pm »

Glad the 'big flood' wasn't to severe on the elecktrickery.
just 1 dead servo

thegrimreaper

« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2011, 10:42:31 pm »

Another video from the St Albans Dive-in

http://youtu.be/ELe9thzy3fw

hope you like

Regards Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.