Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver soldering  (Read 1766 times)

MichaelK

Silver soldering
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:09:19 am »

Hi,
Is it possible to "sweat" silver solder, like is is possible to sweat soft solder?
I need to make a long (1.2Meter) Thin (10mm) brass strip to put along the bottom of the keel, and the only way I can figure out to do it is to join (solder) lots of short strips together.
Thanks
Mick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Silver soldering
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:19 am »

Mick........I am sure you know the K&S range of brass strip/round/square etc sections from most model shops...& all in 300 mm lengths......you certaily could soft solder these lengths to form a 1200 mm long section.....alternatively you could also silver solder the joints for additional strength.....

Sweating sections with soft solder is OK as you can flood the pre-soldered sections with liquid flux..........joining pre - silver soldered sections is far more difficiult & requires greater heat........low temperature silver solder with a melting point of 450 degrees C is OK....but when this is soldered to a section.........you must provide sufficient heat input to re-fluidise the silver solder .... + add new or additional borax type flux >>:-( but at the same time the heat is being soaked into the metal mass....... :(( ...........& we haven't considered distortion yet  <:(

Remember when we silver solder we need to remove the flux residue which has been converted to a hard crystaline type deposit

I would stick clear of light sections of brass & any concept of silver solder sweating.........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

MichaelK

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:10 am »

Thanks Derek
I think I'll stick with solf solder for this little project.
Mick

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:50:05 am »

Do a Google search for "Brass Shim Stock."  The first hit was this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=brass+shim&tag=googhydr-20&index=industrial&hvadid=2414467485&ref=pd_sl_70kcnaoibe_b

Brass shim stock is sold in many thicknesses and is used for exact adjustment of things like motor-to-pump shaft alignment.  It comes in rolls that are often much longer than you need.  No soldering.   :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.