Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First RC outing. R Class Destroyer  (Read 6464 times)

bobk

First RC outing. R Class Destroyer
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:52 am »

Whilst building my K Class submarine, which will be a long project, I have acquired a WW1 destroyer of similar length to give me something to sail during the summer - and to learn a bit about controlling a RC boat.  My first RC project in around 40 years, "all" that was required to fit out with battery and electronics.  Getting it all to work correctly was fun, for an RC beginner, but after bath-tests I set off for Black Park Lake on a sunny Easter Sunday.
As usual lots of boats, including two subs, and some much appreciated friendly advice.
The 44 inch R Class destroyer ran well, although might be easier to control with a mixer to run both props off one stick I was advised.  I might now take the time to fit newer motors too, as well as tidying up all the wiring etc.
I will definitely need some kind of wheeled transporter (buggy), and some straps on a pole or something to get it in and out of the water.
A good trip, it was fun. 

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: First RC outing. R Class Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »

She's lovely - but I don't think she's an R-class destroyer!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

bobk

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »

Andy,
It was sold on E-Bay as an R Class, but I did have reservations after trawling Google it looked more like an early Skirmisher Class scout cruiser.  However I can't find anything of that era with port/starboard deck guns in this configuration, main armament usually appears to be centreline.
I am told the model is quite old, and with this level of detail must be accurately based on a specific ship.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »

Aha!

HMS Skirmisher  :-))

Andy

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

The nearest I can find is Skirmisher - though every photo of the two ships in the class shows only a foremast and should
have 10  x 12pnder guns ( later 9 x 4inch) and two 18inch torpedos but it is possible that like all ships they were altered
during refits.

Geoff

bobk

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:02:39 pm »

It could more likely be a Pathfinder scout class of circa 1904.  The 'rolled' forcastle deck edge is very reminiscent of very early torpedo boat destroyers, but this is more cruiser sized.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Patrol.jpg
Still only single masted though.

bobk

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »

GUESS THE WARSHIP:
Here are a couple more photos which hopefully will make identification easier.
IMO it seems to look most like a Pathfinder class scot of circa 1905.

The inside of the hull looks very scratch-built, much courser GRP weave than kit hulls

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »

That looks a lot like the kit I linked to, above. What are the model dimensions?

Andy, keen to nail this one!  :-)

bobk

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

Andy.  It looks very similar dimensions to the Westbourne (Deans) Skirmisher you linked to.  Wish there were more detailed photos of that completed kit, or indeed early 1900's warship photographs.  Could mean an afternoon at a major library going through Jane's Fighting Ships.

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:52 pm »

bobk

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:30:43 am »

OK guys, you were right.  After a bit more research it is indeed a Skirmisher / Sentinel from Deans Marine.  If so, it appears I am missing a lot of the boats and davits, so I contacted Deans who were really helpful.  Missing parts are now on order, hopefully I can pick them up at the Beale Park event on Sunday where Deans will have a stand.  Whilst on the phone a learned a lot about these ships, detail, paint schemes etc.
So, how do I change the 'Subject' line to "First RC outing, HMS Skirmisher"?

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:00 am »

Bob I was just about to mention the boats but I see you have it in hand - eventually managed to find some pictures of Pathfinder and Skirmisher classes
they all appear to have 3 or 4 boats on the port side and 3 to starboard - I take it the wooden platforms on the midships s/s of your model are for where the boats
could be worked upon when inboard.  After finding about 30 pics can still not find one with two masts. Looks like a bit of modelmakers licence.
Geoff

bobk

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:52 pm »

I now have it on good authority that she was in Victorian livery when launched in 1905, although the model appears to show it after the 1910 refit when funnels were extended due to smoke obscuring signal flags, and the rearmost mast added for signalling at this refit.  Also, amongst other refit 'improvements' were the mixture of gun sizes to provide both long range and close cover against torpedo boat attack.
Most photos online appear to be early pictures, hence my confusion as to identity
The flying deck platforms are indeed for launches etc, and I hope to be picking up a set of vacuum formings for these at Beale Park on Sunday, together with the missing davits and other stuff.
More photo's to follow when completed.

pugwash

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:42 am »

Sorry Bob but your authority is wrong - there is a photo of her in 1905 - navy grey - the victorian colour scheme was scrapped in 1902 after the death
of Queen victoria.  The gunnery fit was indeed modified in the refit about 1911 but the after mast was not added as have found two photos of 1916
still with the single mast.  Deans do include the colour scheme for the China station but she served Med and home fleet prior to WW I and during the
was is was home fleet, Dardanelles and finally Russia 1919 then scrapped 1920.
There were 4 pairs of Scout cruisers all came under the umbrella of Sentinel class (though they had other class names they were almost identical)
and none had a main mast fitted - so Deans made a faux pas or did some model kit makers poetic licence. I found a similar discussion on mayhem back
in August 2009. Having just finished a converted Deans kit I would think faux pas.

Geoff

bobk

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »

After careful consideration, I decline to be drawn into what appears to be a long standing ‘spat’ on this model.  Definitive sources exist, although not always in public domain material. 

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »

Hi,

My technical knowledge of warships is such, that you could call it anything you like and would get no argument from me. On the other matter you mentioned about lifting it in and out of the water, have a word with your local garage. My brother is a Hackney Taxi driver and the fan belts of these are ideal.
If it ain't broke it ain't mine

farrow

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:13 pm »

I think you will find the vessels were built with two masts, later one was removed in a refit to update them.

pugwash

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »

Old Dodes, Sorry but have found several photographs of Sentinel and Skirmisher from their launch in 1905 through to 1919 just before they were
scrapped and at no time do they show more than one mast - for some reason known to themselves the Deans kit has two masts.
These ships were built in four pairs and called different classes even though they were almost identical (until a major armaments refit just
before WWI) but none of the 8 ships shows an after or main mast.

Geoff

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »

I think one of the Scout class had a Whale backed Foc'le and a different Bridge "citadel"
Feeebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.