Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide a Wake steam launch  (Read 8380 times)

vandenouden

Wide a Wake steam launch
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:34 pm »

Hello

I am about to start the built of the "Wide a Wake" steam launch. I have some questions/issues that I would like to bring to the mayhemmers.

1. The drawings call for a 3" diameter propellor with a 8" (!!!) pitch, apparently this propellor was cast by Stuart before they moved to Guernsey. Is there another supplier making this prop.

2. I have the drawings for both the full scale and the model. There is quite bit of varition between the two in particular the sheerline. Are there builders out there who have noted the same?

3. I am thinking of using solid mahogany planking rather than the suggested 1/8" marine ply. Again any experience that I could learn from?

I already have the Stuart D10 engine with reversing gear and boiler feed pump.

Underpressure

Re: Wide a Wake steam launch
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

The PropShop do a range of steam specific cast propellers, they are very good and look nice when the model is out of the water.

A cheaper alternative, and one I use with all my steam boats are Rivabo props, which have sufficient pitch to load a steam engine well. Alternatively Raboesch also have steam specific props. I have never used them but believe they are very good.

Keep us posted on your build, folk around here love to see projects progressing.

Neil

firedup

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

Hi the biggest problem you  will find if you use mahogany is the waste, when producing these they are a lazy S shape they are not straight. I tries to use Cherry planks but in the end had to use cherry faced ply.
When producing the shadows for the hull I did notice that the plans were incorrect but I can't remember the problem now. 
I will post pictures later.
Mark

vandenouden

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:47:05 pm »

Thank you for the replies.

Fireup, do you mean that you had to waste planking material because it was breaking? Or perhaps you could not get the curves you wanted?

Please clear me on that.

Regards
Jacob

TAG

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »

Hi
I built a Wideawake in the 70s from the Model Boats Plans and used 3mm oak faced ply for the planking as, I remember the was not much left from an 8x4 foot sheet and used copper nails and roves on the clinker overlap. I did obtain a Stuart 3 inch prop but I am sure that as others have said Prop Shop will help you out. To look at my boat look at Wants and Swaps 15 Dec 2010 topic - plans for steam launch.
Tim

Bernhard

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:07 pm »

Hi..Jacob  great to see you here   go fore the PropShop... i have used them on all my steam boats,,super they are...bot you can only get them in turning to left,,,
it whas Jacob there have build the Wooden River Quenn i have,,, First class work...Thanks again fore that launch,,,,,,,,,Photo of it here,,,,

Regards Bernhard

firedup

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »

My Wide a Wake uses a borderer twin engine.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:17:24 pm »

Thats a very well detailed version  :-)) firedup..... do you have any stability issues with the vertical boiler?.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

firedup

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:33:25 pm »

Not sure yet, so far it has been in the test tank once (garden pond before the big freeze too big for the bath)
It needs lots of lead, I'm thinking about a lead strip keel it just seems to sit on the top of the water at the moment.

vandenouden

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

Thanks to Bernhard for posting the pictures of the River Queen, I did enjoy buiolding that boat. Also thanks to Firedup for recommending the book. I have ordered it.

When I was building the River Queen. I only shaped the bottom edge of the planks to suit, the top edge was left square and straight. It did required quite a bit of bending though. I was thinking of doing the same on the Wide a Wake although the book that Firedup recommended appears to shape both sides of the planks.

I also have an issue with the copper nails and roves. The parts list calls for a 1/16" nail and a 5/16" rove. The overlap of the planks is 1/4" which suggest that the rove will be wider than the overlap and thus overhanging the plank. Has any builder experienced that? In any case I consider the 1/16" too large to be to scale.

However I am considering to build the boat using a modern glue only method (West sytem) It will give the boat very clean lines.
Has anybody any comments on this?

firedup

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »

I used the glue only method intending to add the nails at a later date. Now I like the way it looks so I think it will stay as it is.

Bernhard

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »

Hi...Jacob..Did you get my mails,,?
take a look here                        http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16206.0

Regards Bernhard
                                               nails-pins                    http://www.model-dockyard.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2emodel%2ddockyard%2ecom%2facatalog%2fBuilding_Materials%2ehtml&WD=pins&PN=Amati_Nails%2ehtml%23a4134_2f10#a4134_2f10

Aeronut4

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:35 am »

That's a lovely boat firedup!  Does anyone have a link to where I can get the plan?  Can't find it on the My Hobby Store website!

vandenouden

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 05:37:04 pm »

Hello

I did buy the plans on ebay. There are 2 sources but I prefer the plans on CD from the US, because I can (have them) printed in any scale I like. For the time being I intend to build to the model scale. I am still sorting out the differences between the model and full scale drawings.

At this momemt I favour the model drawings because the sheerline appeals more.

Regards
Jacob

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 05:47:01 pm »

Jacob that is a really nice hull, very well finished have you got any pictures of the build and information on the wood used,

thanks

Peter

vandenouden

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »

Thank you all for your contributions sofar. I have got most of the planning sorted and material choices made. I now also have the book as suggested by Firedup " How to build glued lapstrake boats". What an excellent book!

My only issue remaining is the ply. I am living on Lanzarote and cannot get any suitable marine ply locally. Using the internet checking with suppliers in the UK, I have been unable to find 1/8" or 3.5mm mahogany or similar ply. Robbins in UK have been extremely helpfull but they can only supply in 3 mm Gaboon which is the wrong colour or 4 mm Mahogany which is really a bit too heavy. I could upscale the design by say 20%, which would probably be better for the Stuart D10. But I will end up with a rather large boat.

Alternatively I could go back to solid mahogany planking and take the material waste on the chin. When I build the River Queen I used 1/16" solid mahogany planking which could be bend (with difficulty)to suit.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Jacob

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 04:08:02 am »

It's been 9 years since the last post but a lot of good talk went on about the Wide A Wake, and now another question if there is anyone on the forum still remembering the Wide A Wake.

I am finishing one of Shane Tregear's molded hulls and am following his instructions for placing the waterline. but I sure would like to see a plan -- can anyone share a side view of this boat that shows the LWL? In particular I want to see how far the water comes up on the transom.

Thanks for any further information

Carl

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 09:07:14 am »

Hey Carl!
 Welcome back.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mikew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 07:19:18 am »

Hi Carl

Yes I remember Wide A Wake a beautiful launch, I built mine using a "Cheddar Proteus", the copper nails & roves were bought by weight then. I believe the boat is now in Italy.

Mike 
Mike

frenchguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:33:41 pm »

Hi Carl,

As a matter of fact I recently ordered the plans from a place in Canada. The plan was not exactly 2 inches to a foot, but I think anyway I will build it at a 3/4 scale, meaning overall length of the model will be 37.87 inches or 96.20 cm. I am planning for now to fit her with the horizontal 3" Clyde steam plant ( I have stability issues with my vertical steam plant in my Alexandra).

I have read many times 2 building blogs that are spectacular in terms of workmanship, and I feel very humbled by them. But, I never built before a clinker built boat, so that will be interesting. The closest I have done were several fishing dories used on New England fishing schooners.

Since we are on the topic, the instructions I got with the plan are kind of thin. I know there was an article in MB magazine in 1972 but I don't seem to be able to find a copy. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Stephan

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 08:38:14 pm »

I used a Floataboat drawing of the SL Wear to have as a guide, albeit somewhat different from WideA Wake and the FRP hull I bought from Shane. But it worked out well and here's a movie of the finished Rival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglzcUZKxzU

I will say you guys that do real hull planking have my great respect. I see some beautiful work on the forums and I hope yours joins those ranks; my use of the fiberglass hull skipped over the "hard part". My other boats are strip-planked and that is so easy by comparison I feel like a cheater.  %)

Carl

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 08:43:28 pm »

Oh, please elaborate problems with vertical steam plant. I am trying to power an Avon with the 2" Econo vertical boiler from MSM and I have serious doubts that I can make it go. So I have 3" boiler on order...  I am wondering if your troubles are similar?

The price jump at MSM from 3" with Avon to 3" with Clyde shied me away. 3" w/ Avon seems like a bargain.

-Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.