Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hatch sealing tape  (Read 4113 times)

Patrick Henry

Hatch sealing tape
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:01 am »

I've had a bit of a change of mind on the Monsoon, and made a new lighter radio access hatch cover from an old CD case....what would the best tape to seal it down with? Is ordinary plastic insulation tape OK for this? Or is there a better alternative available?

tony23

Re: Hatch sealing tape
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »

looking at that you will have trouble sealing around the edge of the lid your better off doing away with the lid completely and sticking deck patch material as used by all the racing guys like on my boat here it can be re used again and again if need be. purchased from Sailsetc, PJ Sails, Housemarting sails or Nylet sails.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »

Ah, now that's something I never knew existed...I'll check that out in a mo.

Can I ask why you feel I'd have trouble sealing my hatch, please...just like to know where I went wrong.   <:(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:59 pm »

Do a search on hatch sealing on here.

I think this has come up before, and the power boat boys use something with a name like 'Diamond tape'.

I used electrical tape with my Monsoon, but it always leaked a little. Getting tape to go round corners is not possible and the overlaying led to some room for ingress of water.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:19 pm »

Thanks TT...searching now.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »

Found it...Diamond tape it is.

Thanks TT...much appreciated.

Nige52

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »

Rich, I use both diamond tape and black insulation tape.
The clear diamond tape I use around the lid of my 32" Pursuit fast electric and also my Joysway Warrior, only because the boats are yellow and the diamond tape is clear, meaning they still look good when taped up.

But for my Formula 1 fast electric, and also for my Club 500, I use black electrical tape as the hatches are inside. In fact, on the F1, I have used the 4 strips of tape 3 weeks running now  {-)

All the best,
Nige

Patrick Henry

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »

Thanks Nige...I tried earlier on to buy some Diamond tape in the village, and couldn't. I have black insulation tape to hand, so maybe I'll try that first, I'll have to get some Diamond tape online.

John Mk2

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

Very good tape this  :-)) Use it all the time now. & Rich you know what I run  :o

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1146&osCsid=1fccda361bd0a7d33762d33fa497a2e5

Patrick Henry

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »

Thanks John...that'll do the trick. Ordered, bought, paid for and on the way.

And yes...I know!

Dekan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »

I asked this question sometime ago and was recommended a tape which hockey players use to hold their shin pans in place.

I got it off ebay...It came from Crazy Kenny's.com  Its called "Ice and inline roller hockey Clear leg tape" it works great... much better than Diamond tape, as its thicker and a bit rubbery..             http://www.ice-hockey-skates.co.uk/product_637-20-109_Clear-Leg-Tape---Single-Rolls.htm

This make much easier to fit and remove..

John Mk2

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »

I might of answered that one  %) I was using hockey tape. But found the Astec tape far better as for ease of handling , Adhesion Ect Ect  :-))

Captain Flack

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

Diamond Tape or Magic Tape from 3M, both I think, available from WH Smiths
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.