Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italeri Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596  (Read 17049 times)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Italeri Elco 80' Torpedo Boat PT-596
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 09:10:38 pm »

Look forward to seeing your pictures !

Enjoy your holiday  :-))

HelgeBe

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »

Longshanks & all,

First a little history in brief: 10 Elco 80's where transfered to Norway in 1951 as a part of a common NATO program. They where not economical in use as they required aviation fuel and special fuel depot's had to be established along the coast when these boats where on duty. One was scraped in 1960, 3 in 1961 and 2 in 1962. The rest were transfered to the reserve in 1964 and scraped in 1966. The Elcos where replaced by the "Tjeld" class who had diesel engines and where much more economical in use.

The two first photos are of the Norwegian P956 "Hai" (Shark). I have no drawings of the Norwegian version of the Elco 80' so I have used these photos as basis for my conversion. The most notable difference between P-596 and P956 is that the fore gun, rocket launchers and the liferaft are not there. There is another radar mast and the smoke generator is positioned on aft port side while on aft starboard side there are two depth charges. The torpedotubes are for ex-german 21" torpedoes. The colours are light and dark grey. I have access to other photos taken on board which clearly indicates what is light an what is dark. On the model I have used the colours used by the Norwegian navy today, RAL 7011 and RAL 7040, but it could be that the light grey colour should have some green tone. The radar mast and depth charges are yet to be completed.

If there is anyone who has supplementary information I would be happy if posted here.

I have also made a video I will post later.

HelgeBe

HelgeBe

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:24 am »

Her is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBEku6JLlfU

In the last sequence I have added extra weight to the model so you can see how the performance changes.

HelgeBe

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 10:34:28 pm »

Hi HelgeBe,

Your boat looks excellent on the water, well done.

May I ask why you added the extra weight?

longshanks

HelgeBe

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 07:59:56 am »

Thanks,

The extra weight was just an experiment to demonstrate what happens if you do so. This model will then sit deeper in the water and trow more water to the sides when going fast. My advise is still to keep the weight of this model to a minimum.

HelgeBe

MartinH-K

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 02:04:40 pm »

She planes well on the water! Just finished mine- I used three 480s... Piccies and video soon!  ok2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.