Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairmile D - Twin 5" Vickers Mounting  (Read 6714 times)

FrankM

Fairmile D - Twin 5" Vickers Mounting
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:50:29 am »

Hi All,

Its been almost  two years since my last post asking questions re the Mk9 bandstand for my 1/24 Fairmile D.  That is all sorted and although there has been a long period with not much happening, things have progressed significantly in the last month or so.

Essentially, all the running gear and electronics are in and working.  The boat is painted and I'm in the process of installing all the bridge and deck fittings.  Things are going quite well but I have run into one issue that I'm hoping someone can solve for me with a simple reply.

I'm at the stage where I want to set up the fixed structure for the 5" Twin Vickers and the catwalks.  The particular model I'm doing is MGB 794 - as per John Lambert plans.  What I cannot get my head around is whether the fixed structure for the twin 5" Vickers goes all the way to the deck or is just mounted on the catwalks.   Clearly on some versions, the fixed structure did go all the way to the deck and it appears on others, it just goes to the catwalk.  If just to the catwalk, how was it mounted / secured.  I can't find any details in John's plan on that.

Another issue I see is that if the structure did go to the deck, then it encroaches on the rails for the torpedo tubes and the torpedos can't be mounted as per the plan.  The plans actually show the outline of the structure going over the torpedo girder tapping strip.

If someone can provide an explanation, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Frank

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairmile D - Twin 5" Vickers Mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:19 pm »

Hi Frank,

From the information I have my opinion is that the actual 'Gun tub' finishes at just below the level of the wood on the catwalk. The gun tub was supported on top of a circular trunking fixed to the deck, I have several pics showing a door on the front - probably a storage area.

Where torpedo tubes were fitted it appears the trunking was cut back in line with the tapping strip. Coming back out above the tube to support the gun tub.

There appears to be some evidence that the gun tub assembly was not actually attached to the superstructure. This is shown in the attached photo of the superb MTB681 by Roy Skeates of Exeter Model Boat Club also Surface warship Assoc.

Hope this helps

longshanks

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:03 pm »

Frank,

It may be worth your while to give John Lambert a ring. He is approachable.

Regards

Barry M

FrankM

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:25:03 am »

Hi Longshanks,

Thanks for the reply.  This is the first picture I've ever seen showing the bottom cylinder cut away to allow room for the torpedo.  I've got John Lambert's book on the Fairmile and he sent me a number of plans but nowhere can I find any reference to that cutaway.  Clearly it solves the problem but it also raises the question of whether the cutaway was left open or filled in  (with sheet metal?).  I'd really like to find some more info on it.

Barry M,
Thanks for the suggestion to call John.  It's a tad expensive from Australia.  However, I am in email contact with him as well and yes, he is very approachable.

Thanks gents.
Cheers,
Frank

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

Frank,

As the area was used as a storage area when 'whole', I think it safe to assume the cut out was filled in.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:45 pm »

Hi Frank,

Saw Roy Skeates MTB at Shepton Mallet on Saturday so I took the opportunity to photograph the gun tubs

FrankM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »

Thanks Longshanks.

Detail like this certainly helps and I appreciate you thinking of taking the photos for me.

The 3rd pic is interesting.  Obviously from the rear but it seems as though the tube is partially dismantled. Right?

Cheers,
Frank

BTW, John Lambert has confirmed the cutouts were there.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:04 am »

Shouldn't this be entitled Twin .5inch mounting
5" seems a tad big when frigates had 4.5" guns

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

FrankM

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:40:38 am »

Gimme a break - it's just a small point so to speak. :embarrassed:
I'm sure everyone knows what was meant.
Frank

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:35 am »

Ned Dont forget in 1953 Bold Pioneer's armament was 2 x 1 4.5" coastal forces lightweight guns plus 1 40mm Bofors
Better armed in theory than many frigates.

Geoff

FrankM

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:11 am »

Hey guys,

lets not get off topic here.  I really don't care that I missed a decimal point in the heading or what guns were on what ships. 

I just needed some information and I'm grateful for the advice and photos provided by Longshanks that actually provided the information I was seeking.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread can now be closed.

Regards,
Frank

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »

Hi Frank,

Glad to be of help - strange that I knew what you were talking about  ok2

As you say the tube is definitely showing signs of wear. I think it was built about 5 years ago and took 6 1/2 years to build. It has travelled widely to shows. Really is something to see on the table and in the water!
Full sound effects on motors, guns, Morse etc.. All guns rotate.

If you should need any more photos to clarify the plans I do have quite a few.

You could probably contact Roy either through Exeter model boat club or Surface warship association, he is a true gent and very approachable. I'm sure at the time of the build he was in contact with an ex ' D ' skipper.

longshanks

FrankM

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:12:41 am »

Hi Longshanks,

Roy's boat seems to be really something.  Whilst I am going into a lot of detail, I am not going as far as Roy seems to have done.  I have the two 6PDR guns rotating but not the smaller guns (like the 5" Vickers  ok2).  If I can find the room for a servo, I'll also have the oerlikon rotate.

I actually became really disenchanted with this build for two reasons.  First, I spent a considerable sum on components and fittings from Precision Controls.  The vast majority of the resin components were unusable due to extremely poor moldings and I have been forced to make most by hand.  That put me off for a while.  Precision - NOT !!!  Big waste of money and no refund.

Second, in an attempt to have the deck correct, I laid all the planks as they should be, sanded it all down to what I thought would be OK and then made a big mistake.  I actually mounted a lot of the smaller deck fittings and then sprayed the deck.  It was HORRIBLE.  All the grain marks showed through way too deep for scale and they covered the whole deck.  So, I left it for a few months.  When I got back, I painstakingly sanded the deck (around all the epoxied fitting), filled the grain and sanded again.  Then, I opened the can of paint (specially mixed for the correct colour) and it had separated a bit after sitting there for 12 months.  OK I thought, just mix it up well and strain it to remove any small lumps.  Looked OK.  So I sprayed a second time.    WORSE than the first.  It looked like I had sprayed fine sandpaper all over the deck.   

Depression sets in and I leave it again for a few months.  Finally get round to repeating the finicky sanding and get a new pot of paint.  The guys at the shop were good and replaced the first can for free.  Third time lucky.  The deck now looks as it should - some slight indication that it's a planked deck but nothing too obvious.

So, things are progressing ok at the moment.  The superstructure is almost complete, most deck fittings are on and its just bit by bit as time allows.  As per the origin of this thread, I'll soon be doing the mounts for the 5" Vickers and the catwalks.

As for your photos, if there is a simple way to get some to me, I'd be grateful.  Seems we can always learn something else from looking at other peoples work.  Perhaps email?

Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Frank

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 10:26:08 pm »

Hi Frank,

Full marks for perseverance!

PM sent

Gra

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 08:33:49 am »

Hi Frank,

I have a photo of MGB 663 which clearly shows the area you are talking about in gun tub scalloped out to accommadate torp tube.
Gun tub is mounted on deck.
Book is DOG BOATS AT WAR by Leonard C. REYNOLDS page 131.

Regards
Graham

FrankM

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:40 am »

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that.

I know it's been a while but are you the Graham at Surrey Park.  If so, I'll email you re progress.

Cheers,
Frank

Gra

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 10:32:38 am »

Hi Frank,

Yes i am the Surrey Park man.
My boat is finished but for the Rear Bandstand and twin oerlikon guns plus some fine tuning.
A new member has joined the club with a 1/24 scale D boat. Scratch built.
Four tubes  as per your boat.
Hope to see you some time in the future.Three boats together would look pretty good.

Regards
Graham

FrankM

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:10 am »

Graham,
I've emailed you
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.