Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mice Intelligence?  (Read 2686 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Mice Intelligence?
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:20 pm »

Some months ago, we discovered we had mice in the attic.   I built a humane mousetrap to catch them.
The mouse went inside and lifted the piece of cheese from a small brass plate with a micro switch  on the other end.   The switch actuated a solenoid that tripped the spring-loaded door that slammed shut, latching with a simple catch similar to a door latch.     We began catching about five a day and this increased to over ten a day over the next few weeks.   They were all released outside unharmed and I had blocked all known entrances to the cavity between the walls, so they couldn’t get back.   By the time we had caught and released 655 of them, the situation changed.

Each morning, the cheese has now gone, but the door is closed and latched.   There is no place that they could have got out through the spaces around the door as they are edged in brass and the gap is only about 2mm all round!

Initially, I thought that another mouse outside was unlatching the door to let its friend out with the cheese.    This would not have been very difficult because the latch was made from a physically light piece of brass strip.

I therefore replaced the latch with a fixed strip of steel bar with a Neodymium (incredibly powerful) magnet on the end.    When the door slams shut, the magnet contacts with another strip of steel screwed to the frame.    It requires real physical effort to open it and would certainly be beyond the strength of a mouse.

Each morning, the trap is still empty, but the cheese has always gone.     The only thing I can think of is that mouse “A” has an accomplice, mouse “B,” who stands next to the open door.   Mouse “A” goes in and gets the cheese whilst “B” prevents the door from shutting.   As soon as “A” is clear, “B” runs off, allowing the door to close, and they both scoff the cheese.

I hadn’t credited mice with this sort of intelligence!     Is it possible that they worked this out by communicating with each other in some way?    Can anyone think of any other explanation?     I can post pictures of the trap if required.

Bob
Regards
Positive

nhp651

Re: Mice Intelligence?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »

certainly more intelligent than this present government,

they just rob you blind and don't mind you knowing who they are.... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »

Looks like a case for CCTv, night vision or infra-red camera....we should be told how it is done  >>:-(!!!!!
..well can you land on this?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »

Maybe something else is having it away with your cheese.  Peanut butter is apparently the finest mouse bait there is, and is really of little use for anything else.  They can't lasso it from a distance and drag it off, either.
I wasn't being humane when I was invaded a few years ago, and the squidged ones never came back.  I knew I was winning when there was still bail along with the rodent remains.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »

arggghhhh, you cruel man, malcom {-) {-) {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

arggghhhh, you cruel man, malcom {-) {-) {-)
But nae moose loose aboot ma hoose*. :-))

*chorus to the little known third verse of Lord Rockingham's great hit.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

snowwolflair

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »

I went down the same path and the numbers went up so I marked them with a red marker pen.  I then killed the marked ones who returned.  From initially 50+ catches five marked mice were dispatched and the problem ceased.

Incidentaly best way to dispatch them is in a plastic bag and swing it hard against concrete.  They die instantly.

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »

Maybe something else is having it away with your cheese.  Peanut butter is apparently the finest mouse bait there is, and is really of little use for anything else.  They can't lasso it from a distance and drag it off, either.
I wasn't being humane when I was invaded a few years ago, and the squidged ones never came back.  I knew I was winning when there was still bail along with the rodent remains.

I like peanut Butter   <*<

Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 11:25:53 pm »

And I thought half a dozen was a major problem. You have to take them more than a couple of hundred yards away to stop them finding their way back.

nick_75au

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:05 am »

Mice are definitely intelligent, they are going back to the house where the owner is releasing them and feeds them some more, not next door  ;D

Nick

pugwash

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 09:23:45 am »

Sorry but this is the common mouse we are talking about,  not the hazel dormouse or other rare species.
The answer to the problem is in the first line of Positives first post " I built a humane mousetrap"
Get half  dozen of the small metal mousetraps with extra strong springs - They will humanely get rid of the problem and
I guarantee that even if they have an I.Q. of 150 the mice will not return.

There are only two places a mouse should be, out in the fields and hedgerows or in a barn owls beak not potentially chewing up you electric cables
in the loft.  Your family will really appreciate your humane nature when you house goes on fire due to damaged electrical wiring.

Geoff

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:14 am »

Buy a cat.

wartsilaone

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:43 am »

I have a problem with ants and I do try to be kind to all gods creatures, but when they start invading the house they have to be exterminated.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:32 am »

I have a problem with ants and I do try to be kind to all gods creatures, but when they start invading the house they have to be exterminated.

Aha perhaps you could use the Daleks to 'exterminate exterminate'
 %% %% %%

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »

No, no, no, dinna harm the wee cowerin` timorous beastie (hoose moose) till we find out the secret of how it gets the cheese out of the locked room.  A three pipe problem Watson.
..well can you land on this?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »

No, no, no, dinna harm the wee cowerin` timorous beastie (hoose moose) till we find out the secret of how it gets the cheese out of the locked room.  A three pipe problem Watson.

Methinks secret is could be a Microsoft Intelli mouse in disguise O0 O0 O0

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »

I offered one of my bloodthirsty Devon aunts (the 90 year old one) a "humane" mousetrap (the tilting kind) and she asked "what's the bl**dy point of that?".

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »

Little Nippers, the only solution.. However I agree I would like to see how the mice get the bate..

wullie/mk2

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »

In the 1950,s you were able to get a substance called "Dack"from the Chemist,or the Ironmonger,..it was a thick treacle like substance, that when spread on a piece of wood or cardboard,with a bit of cheese in the middle,..stopped mice in there tracks so to speak, another alternative, was the way my late Dad,got rid of them,...it may have been a bit cruel, ...but it did the job,..e.g. catch mouse,then hold white hot poker in front of its eyes,..= one blind mouse,then release,result no more mice,..poor little begger must have went back to its mates, and told them about the Big  Mad Ukrainian that was hunched over the open fire,with a white hot poker clasped in his shovel like hands,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.