Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie in Kirklees...  (Read 1761 times)

mtee

Newbie in Kirklees...
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:01:02 pm »

Hi all, my name is Martin and I'm an RC-aholic... I live in West yorks in a town called Dewsbury... I have been into RC for most of my life but mainly on dry land(and air..)and have taken the plunge into sailboats!!! Don't get too excited tho', my weapon of choice is the Ky*sh* Fortune 612... I came in a big box and built very easily in about a week on and off... I sailed it for the first time last night and I am happy with it... and the very healthy price of less than 90quid is a great bonus too..!

I hope not to offend you serious builders on here but I just wanted to see what RC sailing was like... IT IS ACE..!!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie in Kirklees...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »

HI Martin. Have checked out the hall of fame yet? Hope to see you on the 8th of May or before if possible.

Stan

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:58:52 pm »

Martin, welcome to the forum.  Don't worry about your skill levels and type of boat you are sailing.  On this forum you will find people who have ARTR boats
right through to people who can design and build their own variable pitch propellers or steam plants. Each to their own and no one will criticise you for your
choice,  but if you have any problems just ask.

Geoff

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:48:14 pm »

Hello Martin welcome to Mayhem. Like you i started at the beginning with a running (just) boat. There were so
 many things i did not know. Like which way round a servo lead goes into a receiver. Im sure that your boat
will and is giving much fun. Thats the important thing. Chances are you may mod the rigging or change the
cords, its all part of boating.Have fun. John.

mtee

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:28:10 pm »

Thank you all for the nice welcome, 'preciated... I wasn't sure how my boat would be received... but we all gotta start somewhere I guess..!

I had another sail today in a somewhat stronger breeze! when I eventually found out which way the wind was coming from I managed some spritely tacks instead of being "Knocked down" constantly!!

BTW, which way do you tack? is it into the wind or with the wind..?

Here is a vid linky from my maiden voyage... http://youtu.be/uC8a3xDwcLg

pugwash

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:55 pm »

Martin tacking is when you put the boats head through the wind -so if the wind is coming from the starboard (Right) side of the boat you
you turn the tiller so the boat turns right  and the wind is now on the port side.
In the same circumstances if you turn the tiller to turn the boat to the left you are putting the stern of the boat through the wind
this is gybing and in a full sized yacht is done very carefully and never with a howling gale behind you.  Never having sailed a model yacht
(only full size) I don't know how easy it is to gybe as you don't have all the controls that you do in a full sized yacht.
when your video stopped there was another vid also of a 612 and I noticed that it appears quite easy to heel right over
but would readily right itself. There were several comments under the vid about sealing the hull as the owner had ruined servos
with water getting in.  Might be worth having a look at the comments.
you should have full with it.

Geoff 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.