Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOTUS BUY CATERAM CARS  (Read 2058 times)

nhp651

LOTUS BUY CATERAM CARS
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

Another snippet of news from today was that Lotus are to buy back the Cateram car company........does this mean that they will now produce the Lotus 7 that has been shown in classic car books for years as the 7 that never was, or will they just revert back to calling the Cateram 7 the Lotus 7..........an interesting move........can't wait........the only car i ever went for a test drive in that frightened the life out of me..literally......change of trousers was needed, lol %% %% %%

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: LOTUS BUY CATERAM CARS
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:59 am »

Not quite right. Caterham Car was bought last week by Team lotus Enterprises (Tony Fernandes, Air Asia and the Team Lotus F1 team) rather than Group Lotus (Dany Bahar, Lotus Cars and the Renault F1 team). With Lotus Cars now chasing Porsche and Ferrari buyers and abandoning Colin Chapmans philosophy of light weight cars (the Elise and Exige are due to disappear in a couple of years), Caterham are now more Lotus than Lotus  :-)

waverunner

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:56 am »

the Elise and Exige are due to disappear in a couple of years
Already have except for one Elise variant. There's been no Exiges, 1.8 Elises and 211s built since 31 December. Yes, Lotus are aiming to go head to head with the likes of Porsche etc, but also partly due to the failure of the 1.8 Toyota engine meeting new emission regs effective January 1 this year. Lotus were unable to secure another suitable engine so production stopped probably earlier than Lotus would have liked given the long lead time for the new models. My MY2010 Exige S is the last of its kind sad to say. There were rumours, and in fact a test mule was built, with the Exige powered by the V6 used in the Evora but it never got further than that.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:48 am »

very interesting lads........just puts them even further out of my grasp, sadly,

mind you being a F O B I'd never have fit in one anyway...that's some consolation I suppose,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:56 am »

I had a 02 Elsie. The new 2015? Elise looks like it might just pass for a light weight drivers cars, albeit at some cost. Maybe the looks will grow on me over the next few years... Or may be Caterham will by the rights to the S1 Elise  :-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:39:39 am »

I like the kit cars this company is doing. Much closer to the original Chapman concept IMO. I really like the Atomic- road legal go cart with an R1 engine. Now if you turbocharged an R1 engine, you would be approaching Veyron power to weight territory, and certainly leave most supercars in the dust.

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/

Andy

truman06

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:05 am »

Dont think they will

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »

Sounds a very political move to me - and one that will only enrich the lawyers.

I had several Sevens (not to mention a U2) and a racing Elan. They were a sheer joy to drive (when they went, anyway), you felt all you had to do to steer was lean to one side or the other. My Lotus Cortina SE was nearly as responsive - and even less reliable.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

waverunner

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

Hence the joke that Lotus stood for Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious  {-)

I had an Elite, the wedge shaped one not the original, and although it spent far more time in the repair shop costing me money I'd still rate it as one of the best cars I've ever owned.

pugwash

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:34:02 am »

I remember when Northumbria Police got one of the Sunbeam Lotus on trial and was used as an unmarked police car
in the days before we had unmarked cars on traffic.  Apparently went like stink but very difficult for large officers
to get in, especially with a prisoner and it wasnt all that reliable.  The lads liked it but it went back to Sunbeam
and we got Ford Granadas instead

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.