Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: italeri lcm 50ft landing craft  (Read 6216 times)

darrencuk

italeri lcm 50ft landing craft
« on: April 29, 2011, 01:54:48 pm »

hi here is my new boat i have been working on and been asking lots questions about it is a 1/35th plastic fantastic kit but im converting it to rc

i have been thinking long and hard about this kit as i do like it and its a ww2 model which i love so far i have fitted the rudder and prop shaft and prop the rudder is going to be cut down bit to make it a bit more to scale it was the smallest one i could get

im going to be using a very small brushless motor in it running on a 1300mah lipo battery which is going to be hidden insiide a sherman tank so easy to get to

i havent got much further than that really others than building little bits i am still a begnier so my models arent great but thought id just share my work hope you guys enjoy any pointers or advice would be greatfull

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: italeri lcm 50ft landing craft
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »

What size prop have to put under it, as it looks a bit on the big side, for the speed you need this craft to be capable of.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

darrencuk

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:07:00 pm »

Its a 30mm prop only small one really I could find I no its not going to be compleatly to scale but on water should still look to scale. I have gone bit crazy I have this the 1/35th pt boat and I have a northlight clyde puffer my father has just ordered me so got quite a bit lol

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:07:17 pm »

If you have a look at the PT boat  thread on this page, you will find smaller props shown there, as I fitted 22mm dia 3 blader's on my pt boat,think this would be better for yours too, otherwise if you hit full throttle by mistake, you could end up swamping the boat due to the flat bows.
merely trying to assist.  but its looking good.
if you need figures for the landing craft, you could modify a set of the crew thats available for the pt boat, made by same company too.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

darrencuk

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:50:20 pm »

No that's fine I respect the advice I'm still learning

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:20:04 pm »

Id advise leaving the rudder "as is", if you reduce its size, it will also reduce the steering effect you get and can cause difficulty when out on the water, yes, Ok I appreciate its not to scale, but if its a working model as well as a display model, people will understand and appreciate this.
Cut the rudder too small and its difficult to steer, especially if water is not glass calm, get another boat cruise past you at any speed and you try to course correct and you may end up over correcting with a smaller rudder. I found that out with my PT boat, thats why I left the rudders the same size as they came out of the packet and it steers quicker than I can think.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.

rcboater

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:03:37 am »

I converted the Trumpeter 1/35 scale LCM-3 to RC a couple of years ago.    I chose the Trumpy kit because I read in a review that the Trumpy kit's hull is a little deeper, so I figured it had more room for RC gear.   Here's the link to the comparison review on the IPMS Perth website:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/lcm3/lcm3.htm

I powered my model with a pair of disassembled standard servos.   They provide plently of power.  I used the stock kit rudders, and a pair of brass 25mm props.  I'm not entirely sure,  but I think I used those short 2mm prop shaft/stuffing tube assemblies available from Billings.  For the motor to shaft connection,  I used a ball and socket universal set designed for use in HO scale model locomotives.  (The best universal joints I've ever used for a servo powered model!)

My attitude is that plastic model conversions are somewhat disposable, so I just build the battery into the model.  I figure that, by the time the battery wears out,  I'll either be sick of the model or it will be pretty worn out and beat up from years of use.   (I got 15 years of run time out of my Lindberg tug!)  In this case,  I used a 4.8 volt NiMH 2300MAh battery to power the radio and servos.  The battery fit nicely under the cargo deck.   

A mini servo handles the rudder, and the two motor servos  are connected to the throttle with a Y cable.  (I'm using a cheap two channel radio.)

Here's a link to a picture of my model  underway.  It it carrying a Sherman tank,  just to add some weight up forward.

When I orginally built the model,  I left the bow ramp free to move.  My orginal plan was to rig up a catch so that full rudder, plus full trim, would release the ramp and let it fall open.   (I never got around to setting this up.)

steve pickstock

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:42 am »

Being really nit-picky here - but the LCM 3 was not really very happy carrying a Sherman - despite what the model companies tell us. The LCM 6 (basically a 3 with a 6ft section added) was the vessel for carrying tanks.

Sorry.  {:-{

rcboater

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:21:23 am »

Being really nit-picky here - but the LCM 3 was not really very happy carrying a Sherman - despite what the model companies tell us. The LCM 6 (basically a 3 with a 6ft section added) was the vessel for carrying tanks.

Sorry.  {:-{

Actually, I know that all too well.  I originally bought the Sherman because it is a motorized toy, and had ideas of launching it from the boat.  I do have some more appropriate (but non-motorized) subject kits to use in my boat.  (Halftracks, 3/4 ton Weapons Carrier, or 2/12 ton truck are all appropriate.)

It seems like everyone who makes an LCM kit does the -3, when the the -6, with its extra 6 feet of length, would be a better choice.  The LCM-6 is a more appropriate boat for the WW2 Sherman, and it also was used in Korea and Vietnam.   (Trumpeter and Italeri in 1/35,   Speedline and Loyalhanna in 1/16 scale. )

BigA

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:59 am »

You may find the brushless motor a tad powerful for this size/scale of kit?

steve pickstock

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:49:09 am »

It seems like everyone who makes an LCM kit does the -3, when the the -6, with its extra 6 feet of length, would be a better choice.  The LCM-6 is a more appropriate boat for the WW2 Sherman, and it also was used in Korea and Vietnam.   (Trumpeter and Italeri in 1/35,   Speedline and Loyalhanna in 1/16 scale. )

It's an easy enough conversion - because the extra 6ft, from what I can see were added at the after end of the load area. Measure 24mm froward from the back wall on one model and cut at the wall on the other and carefully piece the two bits together.

I may even get round to doing it one of these days.

BigA

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »

No that's fine I respect the advice I'm still learning
Darren - if you haven't already done so, I recommend that you get a copy of the current Special Edition of Model Boats magazine - Construction Special - there are various articles in the issue that you will find useful - motor/prop combinations/types/coupling etc, etc.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.