Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailing nerves  (Read 6382 times)

Nordsee

Sailing nerves
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:29 pm »

Hi all, do any of you suffer from New Model Nerves? I have just completed my Fishing Ketch, everything works on the Bench, small faults found after the first trials have been rectified. So why am I frightened of putting her in the water? I find any excuse not to do it, wind or lack of it, waves, rubbish on the shore, anything!! I have a stable boat trolley and a launching frame, but I am frightened to sail her,daft I know, but true. I am on a Medication which has caused me problems with Angst , no self- confidence etc.. I sail alone which doesn't help, but I used to build big Power RC Aircraft, and Test Flights and flying were approached with anticipation and a Buzz. Why not now with a much slower and and dolcile model which will not trash itself if a mistake is made..... Anyone fancy a holiday here in Germany so we can sail together ?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sailing nerves
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

No....you are most certainly not alone! After months, even years in some cases, come the day of launch and maiden voyage I get as twitchy as the cat on the hot tin roof. Once it's out and on its way I get to feel a bit more "normal". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:22:43 pm »

Same as that...the first time a new sub goes in/on/under the water I'm a bag of nerves, although it's been in the bath and I know it's perfectly dry, I'm like an expectant father when it first goes in the lake.

Silly, isn't it? Maybe it's down to human nature...maybe it's the thought of all that money, time and effort that's gone into the build.

You are not alone...

Rich

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »

must be a common problem , although i run in the open sea ( sheltered on three sides ) i do my initial checks in a local lake with a rescue vessel on stand by !

Nordsee

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »

Well I did answer but it seems to have gone astray, I finally got her in the water and here is a photo to prove it!!

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:07:56 pm »

Send me a plane ticket and i'll come sail with you  :embarrassed:

I get a bit nervous that thing might go pants when putting a new model or even an older ( more used) one out to sail, i think its the fact that you spent so much time creating it that your worried you may not get it back, why i'm always cautious that my models are unsinkable and the worst thing that can happen is they become stranded, which really is not to big of a deal knowing that i can wade out in the lake about half way, or use the rescue boat and retrieve it. i think that you sailing alone is not helping in anyway, if your with a group you will have not only back up for retrievals should the worst happen but the group will support each other.

Once that boats in the water though .. well nerves vanish and the enjoyment begins! join a club if you can guaranteed to help your self confidence.

Yarpie

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »

I would echo all that Roadrunner has said in the previous post.

First time launch is always a worrying time, especially if your bank balance is not as watertight as your boat.

Roadrunner offers good advice, either join a club, or get in with fellow modellers at lakeside.

Happy sailing and well done on getting your pride and joy in the water. :-))

Yarpie.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »

After the first run or two you can relax a bit.....and then start worrying about the behaviour of other boats. We had a guy a few years ago that could manage to hit another boat even if there was only 2 boats on the (large) lake.
Then there's the guy who creams his Arun at full chat through an area reasonably full of smaller boats.
I guess we all have the "nutters" or those oblivious to the desires of others.
Then we have the "chatterers" who don't watch what their boat is doing.
Thats why I always overpower my boats. Gets me out of trouble. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »

my biggest concern is the tide / wind stealing my model before i can row out to it . therefore testing is carried out in a small pool with all round access ! due to some snobbery within a local model club i now prefer to sail alone ! !

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:00 pm »

my biggest concern is the tide / wind stealing my model before i can row out to it . therefore testing is carried out in a small pool with all round access ! due to some snobbery within a local model club i now prefer to sail alone ! !

Yes but you brought that on yourself, try an appoligy see if that will get you back in there good graces... takes a big man to admit when he's in the wrong.. believe me I've had to eat humble pie a few times over the years and learnt from my mistakes, and i'm a better person for it. (although still an 'bottom' at times  :D)

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:10:04 am »

like f will i appologise for something ive not done . roadrunner get your facts right before you post

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:55:04 am »

Don't Worry I Did!  :-))

Nordsee

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:00 pm »

Joining a Club is not an option here. The only one near is close to 30 miles away, are most Cliquey and if it is not a Museum Class model downright unfriendly. The Club Fees are extornenate and I have no wish to mix with the sort of people they are.( Sailing as a visitor is only allowed twice, then you must pay your Subs ., about 200 pounds and apply for Membership. The Committee decide whether you may join,  in a closed meeting. It really depends what car you drive and what your Job is, Mercedes and Bank Manager, or BMW 7 and Senior Civil Servant and you are in!)So I will sail alone, maybe a passing Tourist will live near and join me!

Roadrunner

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »

Some clubs are like that and its unfortunate, there the ones who give us bad reputations, most clubs in the UK don't have a joining fee the only costs that are incurred to the members are the subs for insurance which are around the £10 mark per member (roughly, the most expensive club I came across wanted £20 a year for insurance which is still not unreasonable) and uniform/shirts/ jackets etc.

Maybe its worth setting up your own club?! I'm sure there might be many others locally to you that may feel the same way! try some investigating or even set-up your own and advertise you never know, Our club was set-up in 2009 with only 4 members , in Nov 2010 I built the clubs website (when i took over as Vice Chairman) and since the website launch, member's shot from 4 to 12 in 5 months! The list of shows we attend tripled and were hosting our own show in June! We have everything we need to be self sufficient & have our public liability insurance.

I won't Lie to you its been a lot of hard work between a few members to push the club forwards, but we are now 2 years on at the point where everythings very much relaxed members are taking on roles within the club and everyone has a good time!

regiment

model boat book
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »

thanks have today received model boat book  glad you enjoyed reading it   regiment

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 07:19:31 pm »

This is my way of dealing with maiden voyages!! Funny ol' world, Englishman sailing model yacht in Vienna, drinking Newky Brown. Seriously though glad you got it wet, nice looking model, built from kit or plans?

Terry.

Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Nordsee

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

I had some plans of the original, full size boat. I went from there, we built a Plug and a Mould and we made 4 hulls before it gave up the ghost!! There is one other built that I know of, but as a Fishing boat, while mine is as she was when converted to a general frieght and cargo boat. Not strictly scale, but I like her.

Craig Dickson

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

Hi Folks
Yes I too suffer from new model nerves so I agree we are not alone!
My first venture into yachting was with my Laser and its maiden launch was on a big lake with no rescue boat and with me having zero experience of skippering a radio controlled yacht. In this example I had in the worse case scenario a £400 model yacht to get stuck in the surrounding reeds of the lake borders.
All went so well that I handed the controls to my dear 72 year old dad for a go.
These two 50 second clips show that it got a bit nerve wracking! (if you view them you need your sound up to hear my twin brother’s voice over!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BEf_npHJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5r80Y77udY&feature=related

:-))

Craig Dickson

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

Oh, I meant to add that after those two clips were taken having got my confidence up with my first run, we went to a smaller lake same day and this time my nerves vanished:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-HqDW9aQE

Cheers
Craig :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »

Nice to see a bit of film from our launch platform in Cleethorpes.
A couple of regular sailors sail Lasers Wed & Sun afternoons and we have a rescue boat
in the 'Castle' just behind.

Ned
Cleethorpes Boating Lake MBA
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.