Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imax B6 charger  (Read 6765 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Imax B6 charger
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:03:08 am »

Interpretation and or clarification needed.

Namely, is the Imax B6 charger capable of charging 12v 7.2Ah, gel cell batteries.

If so, is Pb the setting to use

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Imax B6 charger
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:20:30 am »

Yes - Pb is normally used to denote Lead/Acid batteries including the gell cell types.

Barrie

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:49:26 am »

Barrie,

Thank you, had an idea about Pb being lead acid but was confused if gel cell was included.

:-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:51:27 am »

Guys.......the chemical symbol Pb...as we know it is simply from the Latin for the word “plumbonium.”  O0 & thank goodness they ate lots of Garlic & drank gallons of RED wine...as the plumbonium  :o was I believe the first smelted ore to produce a metal which was then used for plates & utensil's for eating.... :P :P

Makes the old addage ...."puts plumbonium in your pencil"  %% something to be admired..... {-) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:37:20 pm »

Just got one of these but wondering how it can charge a 12volt battery when the power source is 12 volts, shouldn't it be higher?
Perhaps this is why the input can be up to 18volts??

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »

Possibly, but if you run it off a 12 volt battery, then its fully charged voltage is likely to be over 13volts.

Sorry but I should have qualified my answer by saying that I wasn't familiar with the charger, so I am not sure if it will charge a 12 volt battery. It will however certainly charge Lead Acid cells, be they wet or gel type O0

Barrie

Ben Tickle

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:51:21 am »

Hi,

I have this same charer, ive never charged a lead acid up with it, howwever it has the option to charge a 12volt pb battery!

Thanks

Ben

exvtop

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:35:08 am »

Just got one of these but wondering how it can charge a 12volt battery when the power source is 12 volts, shouldn't it be higher?
Perhaps this is why the input can be up to 18volts??

The internal electronics can generate a higher voltage than the source. It's capable of charging a 6 cell LiPo pack which is over 22volts!

Mike

nick_75au

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:35:33 am »

The charger is actually capable of charging a 20 Volt Pb (according to the specs) Not many 2 volt cells these days but useful for those that run a 12 volt and 6 volt in series :-))

The charger use a voltage converter to boost the input voltage to charging voltage.

Nick

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »

This charger is supposed to be alble to attach to a computer, to control it...

Any one done this....  what software and where from?

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

Have finally worked out how to use this charger but am getting some different results and being not conversant with 'black art', so am not understanding the results.
Am mainly charging Ni-cads and NiMH in ready made packs and as singel cells grouped for charging purposes in battery container.

Normally the charging operation finishes with displayed comment 'Full', which I take, means the battery is fully charged.

Sometimes instead of full message it displays 'time', does this mean the battery is not fully charged and the unit has switched off because of time elapsed.
If so should I put that battery back on charge again until it reads full.

Can't seem to find the answer in the instructions.

nick_75au

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 06:18:01 am »

Caveat, I don't have this charger, most of this type have similar or exactly the same programming though ok2 Mine has similar features.

There is a timer on the charger that stops the charger after 2 hours, this is set to "on" as default as a safety feature when charging Li-Po, however when charging Lead batteries or some Ni-Mh  at low charge rates it is easy to be not fully charged when the timer stops the charging process.

Mine also has a max mAH stop as well which was set at 5000 mAH, again a safety feature for Li-po (mine is a pain to set for individual batteries {:-{) so I disabled that as well.

Does your unit display the mAH and voltage at the end of the charge as well?

Cheers
Nick

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 06:38:14 am »

Caveat, I don't have this charger, most of this type have similar or exactly the same programming though ok2 Mine has similar features.

There is a timer on the charger that stops the charger after 2 hours, this is set to "on" as default as a safety feature when charging Li-Po, however when charging Lead batteries or some Ni-Mh  at low charge rates it is easy to be not fully charged when the timer stops the charging process.

Mine also has a max mAH stop as well which was set at 5000 mAH, again a safety feature for Li-po (mine is a pain to set for individual batteries {:-{) so I disabled that as well.

Does your unit display the mAH and voltage at the end of the charge as well?

Cheers
Nick

Nick,
These are the instructions/diagrams  I am trying to figure out,

http://www.milehighrc.com/Manuals/ImaxB6manual.pdf

nick_75au

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:28:23 am »

OK its very similar to mine, "user set program" menu then enter then scroll through until you reach safety timer, change or turn this off. ( I think there is a flow chart line missing in the instructions from "Chg>Dchg Waster Time" to "Safety Timer"

Follow the flow chart ok2

With mine the Auto charge of Ni-Mh is not great, I always set mine to manual charging, for high discharge  sub-C (Buggy packs) at 1.0 times capacity and for high capacity  Ni-Mh such as transmitter batteries at about 0.2 X capacity.

Cheers
Nick

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.