Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taycol motors, Standard in particular  (Read 3242 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Taycol motors, Standard in particular
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

Hi all, I was having a read of some of my old Model Maker magazines and came across an early (April 1961) test report of the Taycol Standard motor.  The motor was found to be 'disappointing' on 12 volts, its interesting to note that when the report was fed back to the designer (Mr. Baker) he modified the coil windings which then gave more power on 12 volts.  This was now adopted for the production models. This moved the motor into a higher classification for Model Maker.

Later in the article was mention of further Taycol accessories to come, which included plastic motor covers to match the standard range of Taycol motors.  Well I knew I had read about it somewhere but as we all know they never appeared, I suspect if they had checked with 'the owners club' they would have been told that they liked to see the works and smell the smell!

I am sure I also read somewhere that there were 6 and 12 volt versions designated by colours (Blue and red).  Well further reading this time in Model Maker March 1963 revealed a review of all the available motors for modelers and the Taycol Standard gets 2 separate lines.  Both of them as Standard 'blue'.
Although labelled as 6 - 12 volt operation the bhp figures (17mBHP) for the first one mentioned are for 6 volt operation (stats from April 1961 test), and the 2nd. line shows very similar information but showing 28mBHP which is the power for 12 volt operation.  Why were the motors both referred to as 'blue'?   Is this a mis-print for red? 
I have 2 Taycol standards, one red and one blue, but I cannot tell the difference between them, so its a bit of a leaky theory!

2 lines further down the data for the Supermarine is for 6 volts operation and then beneath this there is the Supermarine special 'blue' which is shown for 12 volts operation.

I do have an old Asteroid that has green spray on the coil laminations, D-G is of the opinion that the nearest paint to hand was used, he could well be right.  Thanks very much D-G for putting together the Taycol motor web site.

Occasionally I charge up a battery pack and work my way through my Taycol collection, about a dozen at last count, to see if they are all still working, or maybe its the smell that I like?  I have a couple of SEL motors which have similar design and style but with dimpled metal 'brushes' but they don't smell the same at all.

The list of available motors on the March 1963 list had a certain nostalgia as 81 motors were mentioned and I have 39 specimens of them plus a few more older ones, anyone else collect electric motors?

regards to all, Roy

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Taycol motors, Standard in particular
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »

hmm... few seem interested in your motor reminiscences...or maybe they're all out in the sunshine by the poolside!

Anyway - I have updated the Taycol website with your Gear Box pictures - they are here: http://taycol.hobby-site.com/accessories.html

Thanks again for contributing them. Any scans of Model Maker reviews would also be gratefully received, to update the 'Documentation' page....  :-)) :-)) :-))

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Taycol motors, Standard in particular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

Thanks DG for your site, it makes interesting reading. Its a shame that more sites like yours are not about.
I know of at least one modeller who found your site invaluble, as to how to reverse a Taycol. Thanks John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.