Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for car nuts.  (Read 4883 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
A question for car nuts.
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »

I realise that this is a bit out of the ordinary, but it's worrying me a bit,
Over the last few years one or two cars in our very quiet cul-de sac have been damaged. Mainly by "keying". All the damaged cars  belonged to neighbours who'd had some sort of spat with an "incoming" neighbour. "Keying" isn't nice, but I can live with it.
But just recently that seems to have escalated. Two of us (neighbours) have had 2" screws driven into the sidewalls of a tyre.
My turn came today when Mrs.Y was driving along a busy road and the steering "went funny".
I'll post a photo of that in a moment.
My question is 2 fold. What are the chances of a 2" screw getting embedded into the sidewall of a tyre? Into the tread area, well I can see that it's possible, but the sidewall? In the same area as one of the neighbours got one? This could have killed my wife, but the Police just don't want to know.
The question is.....what are the chances of a screw getting there in the first place.
Notes from a simple seaman

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: A question for car nuts.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:50:52 pm »

In that position I would say millions to one.
the 2 inch screw would have to be physically driven into the sidewall either by direct force or screwing.
2 different cars with the same problem almost unlimited to one for usual street driving.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

I'd say likelihood just about zero in that position.

CCTV of your driveway would be a way forward. You may not catch them but it would /should at least have a deterrent effect.

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:57:02 pm »

zero chance of it getting there without human assistance ! seeing that it has been screwed to the inside wall of the tyre must mean somebody has crawled around under the vehicle . where is the vehicle parked when not in use ?

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »

The tyre would have to be running almost flat to pick up a screw in that area. I have to say that one like that is bad luck - two would suggest criminal damage.

matphoto

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

For it to happen to two cars in the same cul-de-sac is not coincidence,  >>:-(  >>:-( you say the police do not want to know. I would write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable marked Private and Confidential setting out the circumstances of the incidents, and request a reply.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »

Hello,

One of my Sons was driving along the M6 Motorway, when he got a puncture.
He stopped and changed the wheel, then came home.

In his tyre was an 1/2 inch x 7/16th open ended Forged Steel Spanner, bent like an "L".
After that, I would believe anything can give you a puncture !!.
But, this screw thing does look like vandalism.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

boater12

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:04 pm »

Looking at the photo, it seems that the screw head is distorted, thus meaning a hammer has been used ?

Especially if the car was parked.

A sad affair there Bryan, like w3bby says, posssibly cctv is the way ahead, but why should anyone need to go to that ......

Pressurise the police, keep at them and then hopefully for you they will patrol your area more regularly and hopefully catch the morons.

Good Luck, and Chin Up  :-))

Jim.

wartsilaone

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

Hi Bryan. I think it is possible to pick up a screw in the area shown in the photo but this is very odd for two cars to have the same problem. Very fishy indeed.
Ali

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:05:24 pm »

definitely been propped up against the tyre ready for when you drive forward.

i had it done to me on two front tyres when years ago i was dating a young lady who had not quite got round to telling me she was married.

i got into the habit of reversing my car on start up from that day on, and the screws/nails fell harmlessly onto the path.....only direct forward motion immediately on start off will allow them to penetrate the tyre, unless the cunning bar steward puts them at the rear of the tyre as well.
neil.

wartsilaone

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »

You will have to catch the little blighter's in the act.

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

Bryan,

Looking at the picture thats the inside edge of the tyre not the outer wall so you have to be going some to get our hands around the insdie of the wheel arch to put the screw in.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:23 pm »

Neil,
The head of the screw looks about an inch above the road surface so difficult to believe that it happened "naturally".

Bob
Officially a GOG.

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20:51 pm »

Bryan,

Looking at the picture thats the inside edge of the tyre not the outer wall so you have to be going some to get our hands around the insdie of the wheel arch to put the screw in.
you don't need to press the screw home, just prop it up against the tyre and as the wheel rotates on take off, it drives into the tyre by itself...very easy trick, done by many a miscreant many times a day..quick and simple and no one ever thinks of checking their cars before setting off.

fatcat123

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:28:30 pm »

I'd say very little chance looking at that, plus the sidewall is the strongest point or supposed to be.

My cars been recently keyed, not nice considering it cost over £40k.

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 09:49:32 pm »

Hi  Bryan Once had a puncture like that with a screw just into the side wall like yours.  It is possible but the
chances of two in your little cul-de-sac are non-existent.
Definitely  compaint letter to C.C.s office at force headquarters is the way to go.
Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

On a side note, don't be put off by the police, insist on a crime no.!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pugwash

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »

Problem is they will not give out a crime number for the damaged tyre - no absolute proof it is a crime.
It only becomes a crime when they have someone in custody then they can reduce the crime figures.
Geoff

class37

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:09:39 pm »

If they won't give you a crime number, then ask for an incident number, this will normally be composed of a serial number and the date of the report.

this normally works if you report it via the non emergency line. otherwise if you are reporting either to a pc [that is if you can find one] or to a police station make a note of date / time, and if you are dealing with a pc then note their number.

triumphjon

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 10:18:27 pm »

perhaps the best cure is to catch whichever mindless prat who is causing the damage & give them a good beating !

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »

As this has now escalated and Police will not get involved with "domestics" You all need a means of catching/identify the 'neighbour'.
These days battery drills are tiny, compact and portable so easy to put screws into tyre sidewalls. <:( <:(
Quicker, easier and more positive than propping the screw against the tyre.

nhp651

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »

get one of these bryan with an 8gb micro sd card and mount it on the rear seat head rests.that'll pick the bar steward up on camera, then take it to the ol' bill.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380335691763&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cheeper than forkin out for new tyres every time he strikes.
neil

triumphjon

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »

leave a set of scabby steel wheels witth tyres the have the steel bracing poking out of the inner walls , pehaps when culprit has cut its hands on the wire it wont want to poke its hands there again !  maybe a camera fitted in the lower air intake of the front bumper would catch them in the act too  ?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

Thanks for all the replies. It's just so easy nowadays to destroy someones peace of mind and sense of "security". Suspicions alone are no good, so it seems I'll just have to fork out for a new tyre and control my anger. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

Hmmm. a tough one this...I've had thorns in the same place on tyres, new tyre required, it is possible that could happen by accident but 2 cars in the same street...no I don't think so, keep your eyes open, you could see something that might make you think.

A recent experience with my car left me a little angry but it was not vandalism...I did feel like I'd been 'mugged' after having a new tyre fitted on Saturday in the middle of the easter weekend, have you had a new one fitted yet ? be careful if you just turn up at a tyre fitting company..unless you have booked & paid up front on line and arranged an appointment in advance, also check what they are going to charge you for first.

I'll give more info but a PM would be necessary to 'shop' the miscreants   <*<

J. 
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.