Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No green in my day what about yours  (Read 2495 times)

RaaArtyGunner

No green in my day what about yours
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:28 am »

THE    GREEN    THING
In the line at the supermarket, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

She was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soft drink bottles and beer bottles to the shop. The shop sent them back to the factory to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over.  They were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's nappies because they didn't have the throwaway kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in a 220 volt energy gobbling machine - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand new clothing.

But that old lady is right; they didn't have the green thing back in her  day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of a cricket pitch. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. They didn't have air conditioning or electric stoves with self cleaning ovens. They didn't have battery operated toys, computers, or telephones.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn fuel just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They used hand operated clippers to trim the shrubs.  They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a glass filled from the tap when they were thirsty instead of using a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people walked or took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their mums into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
 <:( <:( <:( O0 O0 O0 %) %) %)

brianB6

Re: No green in my day what about yours
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:59 am »

So, So true.
Please, can I forward this?

matphoto

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:58 am »

Oh so true, thanks for sharing.  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:11:15 am »

So, So true.
Please, can I forward this?

Certainly, My pleasure 

PM sent

O0 O0

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:40 am »

Thanks for that RaaArty, just despatched a reply to you via a runner with a note in a cleft stick. :-))  {-)

I'nt t'internet wonderful??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:38 am »

Can't take all the glory am but a humble messenger :-)) :-))

pugwash

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:52 am »

I got this originally from an ex-matelot living in France two days ago then it comes winging in from OZ
How long does it take stuff to find its way round the world by internet.  Not long obviously!!

Geoff

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:12 am »

Believe it or not it probably was from Oz as I was a bit slow in posting it.
Reckon we are now going around in circles. %% %% %%

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:56:27 am »

How long does it take stuff to find its way round the world by internet

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Regards  Ian.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:14 pm »

O0 O0 O0
 {-) {-) {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:16 pm »

"Back then" I lived in a pit village in County Durham. Everybody burned coal in open fires.
Everything from the woods/fields around us was a pretty dirty sort of green.
The local council "tip" was adjacent to the houses and contained everything imaginable.....but it was considered to be OK for the kids to play on it.
The stone built houses were black from all the smoke. As was Newcastle (upon Tyne).
The stench from the major industrial outfits was horrendous....but we got used to that.
Fish gave most of the rivers a wide berth as swimming was more akin to wading through the effluent being constantly pumped into them.
Water for a bath had to be heated in pots on the open coal fire.
Washing clothes was done in a "poss-tub" and pummelled with a "poss stick".
My parents were sort of constrained to the small town because they couldn't afford the bus fare into the 'Toon.
The majority of houses were "lit" by smelly gas lamps (coal gas).
The "toilet" was out in the back yard beside the coal house. The delivered coal was left in a heap so the "family" had to shovel the stuff into the coalhouse themselves. People died while only in their 40s....and that was considered to be "normal". many of my childhood friends died before they could even take the 11 plus exam. I prefer todays way of living. BY

People
Notes from a simple seaman

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 07:09:05 am »

I really think that a lot of people died young in years gone by because of the unremitting work and dangeorus working coditions in industry, to say nothing of nearly everyone smoking.

I have long felt that I am one of the very who has realised that all those who reach a hundred, were born in 1911 or earlier.   

I also believe that there is far greater pollution now, but the difference is, that it has been swept under the carpet and can't be seen as easily as smoke and grime.    Just look at ingredient labels on food and see what they are putting in it.     The slightest ailment brings a prescription of antibiotics that even the medical profession seems to have realised is not necessarily a good thing if it was for something that would have got better on its own accord anyway.       The young to today are subject to many toxins that weren't around 60 or 70 years ago!       Allergies and other ailments and diseases seem to be on the increase.    Smoking seems to have been replaced with widespread drug abuse (whether prescription or illegal).

Children may be continually bleating about the older generation poluting the world, but tell them that their mobiles depend on VHF radiation to exist and hear the screams of anguish & denial!      Binge drinking amongst the young is also on the increase - pouring more toxins into the system.      Millions of cars spewing out invisible gasses every day of the week, 24 hours a year.     Jumbo jets up there in the ozone layer pouring out even more of it.

I really belive that in not very long (maybe 50 years or even less), you will find that people are not living anywhere near as long as they are now (But, as I have already said, today's 100--year-olds were born in 1911).     By 2060, I estimate that you will see a great decline in life expectancy.      I was born in 1944, so will not see it, but I wouldn't like to have been born in the modern times - far too polluted for me!

Bob
Regards
Positive

jimmy2310

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 08:13:59 am »

I personally remember a lot of those mentioned "back then", I took bottles and jam jars back to the shop for a penny, walked or rode my bike to school, we only had electricity downstairs in our terraced house, one cold water tap in the kitchen, all hot water had to be heated on the coal fired range in the kitchen, tin bath on a nail in the yard alongside the outside toilet which froze over in the winter and we recycled the Liverpool Echo as toilet paper. I'm glad those days are gone but I wouldn't change them even if I could, those memories are gold.

Jimmy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:07 am »

Same here.
Also, have you noticed how undecided the newspapers are.     They always have some dreadful condition that one in three of us will get before we finally die.   These conditions change every few months as the public adjusts to the fact they they are a candidate for the current disease.    Then the attidue will change and anyone born today will almost certainly reach 100, if not 120!    Then we get told that 90% of children today are obese and not as healthy as their parents.      Because of our increased "life expectancy" future generations will have to work until they are 70, or beyond.     But - could it be that this increased pension age is to limit the number of people who actually live to collect it?

Terraced housing - great when I was young in the 40s & 50s.    If I needed comapny, I just walked out the front door and all my friends would be out their, often as not in the middle of the cobbled road (popping tar bubbles in summer) or playing numerous energetic games with not a car in sight.    Going down the same road a few days ago, I found a "wall of steel" (cars), along each site and not a child in sight (all inside no doubt with their computers & playstations, TV, fizzy drinks and sausage rolls) pursuing the "modern" lifestyle that will guarantee! them a hundred years of life!

Ho Ho Ho!

Pull the other one!

Bob
Regards
Positive

jimmy2310

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:14:57 am »

Yes, I remember making darts with the tar bubbles and lolly sticks we made our own fun in those days and the worse thing we got up to was tying cotton to the door knockers and hiding behind the wall opposite pulling the cotton and waiting for someone to answer, we always got caught out by the giggles coming from behind the wall.

jimmy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »

And Summers were always warmer and Sunnier and Daylight never seemed to end after bedtime.

Regards  Ian

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:41 pm »

And I always remember the winters were pretty much as they are now - snow and ice for weeks on end.   Trudging to school through it, suffering numerous snowball attacks - just beginning to thaw out and then kicked out into the playground to freeze again!
Bob
Regards
Positive

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:11:44 pm »

So. What's the consensus? Better then or better now? Or just different. I'd go along with "different" as each maturing generation really only knows the period they're living in and adjust accordingly. Everything I mentioned on my original post was just accepted as "the norm". I don't really recall much in the way of envy/jealousy of those better off than us. More akin to the American aspirational attitude I think.
A reasonable set of examples is (to my mind) as I wrote when progressing through the various ships I sailed on sort of went into changing attitudes and conditions afloat. Probably mirrored in conditions ashore (I hope). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 02:26:32 pm »

I'd go along with that.   But I am 100% convinced that the 21st century is the most polluted in history when it comes to man-made pollution!

Terraced houses, outside toilets and gas lighting were probably not all that injurious to health anyway.       If there hadn't been two world wars, there would be plent more people around over 100 years old!

But working conditions were dreadful 100 years agao and although I have no connection with mining, I have come to the conclusion that it was harder and more dangerous from most jobs.    Cotton mills with all those bits of fluff around were pretty dreadful as well.    My dad was a carriage & wagon examiner on the railways and for quite a number of years worked 12 hour shifts, finally having to quit because of failing health (heart) at the age of 58.   But once away from it, he gradually returned to normal and enjoyed 29 years of retirment in reasonable health until old age finally got him in the last two or three years!     But, despite the hard work, he was out in the open breathing fresh air (in the sidings away from the station).

The chemical pollution these days is appalling, but it can't be seen, so no-one bothers much.

The only green we had in my schooldays was the green mud in the river that I frequently became covered in.

Bob     
Regards
Positive

pugwash

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »

And I always remember the winters were pretty much as they are now - snow and ice for weeks on end.   Trudging to school through it, suffering numerous snowball attacks - just beginning to thaw out and then kicked out into the playground to freeze again!
Bob

Yes and in those days we wore short trousers to school then made the most lethal slides in the playground.  Skinned and frozen knees were the order of the day.
Then "hotaches" defrosting your hands on the cloakroom radiators.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.