Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyanoacrylate stains  (Read 3227 times)

pettyofficernick

Cyanoacrylate stains
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:20 am »

Hi There, had a bit of a disaster, I am building a Krick Anna steam launch and, after preparing the deck for varnishing, I managed to spill cyano on it. To make matters worse, I then tried to wipe it off, which made it worse ( of course ). light sanding has not removed all traces, as the ply is quite thin, I do not want to sand through the first layer of ply. Any ideas to help remove offending glue would be most welcome. My nice faced ply deck will look nasty if I cannot remove these stains.

Roadrunner

Re: Cyanoacrylate stains
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:20 am »

Try thinners as a light wipe over or an alcohol based wipe and let it dry and see if that removed the stain if not your back to sanding i'm afraid.

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:06 am »

Try Nail Varnish remover. Thats what i use to remove my fingers from everything i glue.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:18 pm »

Hi, pettyofficernick

Sorry about the cyano spill.

Acetone is quite good for release and cleanup, but there are purpose -made Cyano  debonders.  Thet can be bought from the same places as sell cyanos, and should be safe to use on ply.  (because of the chemicals they are made of they eat some plastics.

Good luck - we look forward to the photos :}
andrew

mickyrubble

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »

Hi,
if you are going to use clear varnish on the deck (non woodstain) the stain might blend in,try it out on a bit of  the decking off cuts.If that doesn't work how about cutting out that part along the planking lines and replacing .With a small stain how about hiding it under deck clutter .As a last resort one could plank the deck with wood veneers/strips,.Hope this is of some use to you PO nick
 :-) :-) :-) :-)

snowwolflair

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »

This might seem a bit drastic, but as Cyano glue ends up as acrylic, coating and then rubbing down the entire deck with a two part acrylic compound will bring the state of all woodwork to a common "sealed state"

It can then be varnished.

you can get a two part acrylic from 4D models.

Alternatively use "Zap a Gap" cyano "Pink" the thin one and wash all the descks but if you use this dont wipe or brush.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »

Hi there thanks for all the advice. Got some acetone from the chemists today, didn't work to well. I have looked at 4D models website, but couldn't find 2 part acrylic, does it have a trade name?
Many thanks
Nick. <:(

snowwolflair

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:29:31 am »

Give them a call - its an acrylic glue and comes in a clear plastic box with red and blue markings

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:00 am »

If all else fails, as a last resort you might be able to obtain a uniform finish by applying cyno to all the effected deck area so that it looks the same.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:55:30 am »

If the "Varnish" you intend to use is the spirit type as opposed to the pigment type, then you've blown it. One of the "Advantages" of Cyano is that it effectively soaks into the wood and is quite effective for hardening Balsa for instance, although the wood is quite brittle after it finishes smoking.

Could be that you're going to have to either paint the deck or replace it.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

snowwolflair

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »

You can also get a slow non blooming Cyano at some of the boat shows.  this would allow you to brush it on (quickly).

Its meant for aircraft cocpits and takes about ten minutes to harden.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »

Go with the Cyano De-Bonder option, it softens the Cyano and hopefully you will be able to gently rub it off of your decking with a blunt object of similar density, lolly sticks are great for this, or shape a bit of hardwood as a tool and use that.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

pettyofficernick

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

Many thanks for all your helpfull suggestions, job is now sorted, using a sort of combination of all the comments made. Heres how I did it. first I opened up the grain with some wire wool and then applied a liberal splash of acetone ( about £1.25 for a 100ml bottle from the chemists ) next, a rub with the wire wool again. This was repeated a few times until there was just a shadow left behind. after 3 coats of varnish, the stains have completely dissapeared and I am able to heave a sigh of relief. again, thanks to all for the helpfull ideas.
Regards
Nick :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.