Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 1456 times)

Antony

Hi all
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »

Hi all, I’m Antony. I just found this site yesterday. I haven’t got much experience in model boat building unless you count when I was in my teens when I made the odd RC boat mainly in kit form. I’m now 52 so I imagine a lot has changed over the years. Anyway having been made redundant and having some spare time I thought I may have a go at making a model of HMS Fearless. I have an interest in this ship having sailed on her once and also attending a wedding reception aboard her. I’ve been considering having a go at making a plug (I think that’s the term) so that I can make my own fibre glass mold. I’m thinking of using ply wood to make shaped ribs then cutting  and shaping foam between them to form the plug. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice and also tell me if I appear to be going off on totally the wrong track.

Thanks in anticipation, Antony
 :-)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »

Hi Antony!

Jecobin do plans of the Fearless at both 1/96th and 1/192nd scales: probably the best place to start. What sort of size are you considering?

Andy - and welcome to the site!
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Antony

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Andy, I’m tempted to have a go at a 1:96 scale but realistically I think it may be better to go for a smaller model for my first effort, at least then if I find it too much of a challenge I won’t have wasted to much time and money. :-)

Kleban

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:41 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Antony  :-))

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

Welcome aboard, this thread popped up today from the past , of her sister ship Intrepid its probably worth a look give you some encouragement.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17354.0

Plans can be obtained through a number of sites for this class of ship, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction for that if you have not already located a set.

R.R  :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »

Hello, before you start think about the stability of the model you are going to build, as warships are notorious for the lack of the aforementioned stability. It may save you a lot of heartache. A fellow club member brought his new warship down for the launch & it promptly capsized, please do your homework. Nemesis

Antony

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »

Thanks all, and good point nemesis I hadn't thought about stability at all so I'll keep it in mind now. I've found a thread on building a plug in GRP & Epoxy which looks usefull.

Great site this :-)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:15:21 pm »

Neminis has mentioned a very important point. I know of one warship brought second hand that needed a
new superstructure before it was stable to sail. In your design try to keep upperworks as light as possible as
it will be soul destroying to have to rebuild. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.