Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something a bit different  (Read 2272 times)

GG

Something a bit different
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:30 am »

The idea of a model based on the sternwheel paddle boats that ran on rivers like the Mississippi has always had some appeal.  The only problems I could see where their high freeboard and shallow draught which would make sailing in all but calm conditions (not too common in the UK) very tricky.  Steering, even with "backing" and multiple rudders would likely be poor along with risk of damage from typical pond debris.
Possible solutions would occasionally "pop" into my mind, most were impractical and thus immediately "popped" back out!  The final solution came to me during a meeting, when I really ought to have been thinking about other things.  That was to base the model on a smaller push tug type of vessel and use a "split" paddlewheel, with each half being independently powered.
It looked to be in the "doable" zone with the only question being interaction between the two paddles when turning in opposite directions.  A quick test of the part built model on the garden pond showed that this was not problem and steering looked good using the transmitters "elevon" function and two ESC's.
The model was quickly completed, its about 25" long and 6" beam with a notional scale around 1/32 and powered by two RE385 motors.  Just had its first proper sail and gave me no trouble.  It can rotate on the spot or turn in any radius circle you desire.  Gentle steering corrections are needed to maintain a straight course and top speed surprised me being approximately 2ft/sec.  Quite relaxing yet involving to sail and I do like the sound it makes.
Glynn Guest

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
Re: Something a bit different
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:28 pm »

Nice one Glynn.  :-))  Looks good. 
Alan.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:08 pm »

What a pretty little model, excellent :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Rmay

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »

That's not too far off what I'm working on here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368835

Liked the split drive on yours :-))

GG

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:21 am »

Rmay,
             Looking at the quality and detail in your build, I'd say my little model was a long way off what you are working on!
These types of models do seem to have "character" out of all proportion to their modest size and simplicity of design and construction (quickly adding that simplicity in this case was only achieved after a lot of "design-redesign andback to the drawing board" effort).
GlynnGuest

Rmay

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:41:12 am »

Thanks for the kind words about my build. I tried to build the "Major" as is, but I left the option open to put a split drive like you have. Being able to turn like your's can would be great. Maybe the "monkey" rudders will help for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.