Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Schottel Drives Mark 2  (Read 4966 times)

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Graupner Schottel Drives Mark 2
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »

Dear Colleagues,
Just received a couple of schottel drives for my latest build of a ship docking model (SDM) inspired by umi's model.
However I ordered the recommended motors as well the Graupner 900bb. On reading the schottel  installation instructions it recommends on an attached addendum that if you use the 900bb motors you must run them on a maximum of 10v forward & 8v reverse my question is why recommend the 900bb if they are to strong for the unit. Has any member had any experience of these drives and what do they run them on and do you use different motors as i dint want to install them and have to do additional work later.
You thoughts & recommendations would be of value?

Regards
Destroyer42 :-))

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: Graupner Schottel Drives Mark 2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

I use Model Motors Direct 777s running on 6 volts, with a Nagee hull

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »

Hi,

I use two 900's driving my Mk2 schottles on my Tito Neri, I run them 12v forward and Reverse using twin Electronise 30amp speed controllers and have no problem whatsoever.

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:46 pm »

I also run a Tito on 900BB though my issue was with servo strength when under full power my system is 12 volt (1 battery per motor)
if you have the plastic gearing on the bottom of the drives you may find that the 12 volt and the 900 motors strip out the bevel gears if you get a prop jambed with weed.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 02:21:40 am »

I built up a Tito using the 900bb also. no problems, but it is recommended by several modelers that
a "stockade" be built around the horizontal bearing holding the drive shaft. When the torque hits the
beveled gears, it tends to twist th bearing support and the support has been known to weaken and break.
They recommend building a support up to or around the bearing housing to hold it steady and prevent movement.

:-)

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

One issue I do have with these drives is noise, when they are running you dont need a sound module

Following on from what Catengineman was saying I think the Graupner realised their mistake with the plastic Bevels and fitted brass ones. I have just recently stripped and serviced mine and my gearing is definately metal.

Just on the point of lube, just at the point where Umi has put her green/red support plate there is a grease nipple, always pump a bit of grease into this, I use a small syringe (minus the needle), kindly donated by my Nurse Practicionator for this purpose.

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »

Yes that area is possibly weaker than required and a unit in a build of the Shannon did fail there so that drive was repaired and strengthened (I also did the Tito units to be safe.
I fitted pipes to the lube points and use chain lube from a can to inject grease to the shafts,
On the lower mount of the main post there is another point to grease the stock (helps stop water ingress as well) for this I also drilled the center plastic so that grease would get to the inner drive shafts and as I again use chain lube it forces out any water and packs the gear drive with a grease. I have found this makes them quiet and the only time I did notice any noise was when one of the cardan shaft arrangements had become loose and out of line with the desired position, (loc-tight stopped further problems)

Umi, I dont seem to be able to see your images.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 06:35:37 pm »

Seems to be a server issue with the photographs,...at this time, the Red Oktober thread is void of images also.

{:-{

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »

Dear colleagues,
Many thanks for your replies and I will do as members suggest.

Destroyer 42
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.