Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plank on Frame Construction  (Read 4997 times)

Boatbuilder2011

Plank on Frame Construction
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:00:12 pm »

Hi there I'm trying to get some advice, I have never built a rc boat before but have raced rc cars for the past ten years and built loads of tamiya plastic kits, my dad on the other hand has built loads off rc boats but I want to build either billings mary Ann or the billings crab cox, my dad has said that they are a very difficult boat to build as the back end of the hull meets together in 3 different ways and is very hard to convert to rc, the thing is I have been looking around and are the Plank on Frame Construction kits really that hard to build

deadbeat

Re: Plank on Frame Construction
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »

I've built two plank on frame static boats, Sergal's HMS President and HMS Racehorse both around £60ish. They are not suitable for rc conversion but they are a good intro to plank on frame, and they make fine models. Both are double planked with lime and walnut. Planking is a very time consuming method but a very satisfying way of building a hull. For a working boat making it watertight would be an issue you would need to think hard about.

You will need some plank bending tools, there's several on the market, and for the difficult curvatures soaking or steaming planks will be needed.  Good luck.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »

No problem. Plank on frame just needs a bit of thought. Dry fit each plank first and at awkward bows and sterns be prepared to take alternate planks past the stem- or stern-piece  and nestle the other one up to it - or leave gaps where the planks will not meet and fill with triangular "stealers". Cover with tissue and z-poxy or similar covering epoxy, sand and paint and it will be fine. Go for it - if it's too easy you won't learn anything.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:43:33 am »

I have not built a plank-on-frame boat YET.  Planning on a Jim Wilder (Midwest kit) soon.  To that end there is a good build log at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128554

that talks a lot about doing the PoF build.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 02:31:02 am »

As tobyker said, plank on frame just needs some thought. My first PoF model was a Billing Nordkap and, while it is primarily intended as a static model, it was not too hard to build as a radio controlled one. I had built a couple of other r/c boats before, so I had a good idea what was required to build Nordkap for radio. You need to take into consideration such things as placement of receiver, speed control and rudder servo, plus the all important battery. It is likely that ballast will also be needed to make the model float on the waterline. The best thing to do is to look through the Mayhem Forum, and have a go.

Peter.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:14:58 am »

I built the Billing Norden some years ago, my first and only plank on frame model to date, its a static model 34cm (13") long, (Billing Cux 87 soon to be started)

I found the kit a little difficult at first...you do need to understand the construction methods and have some appropriate tools to make it easier.

Here's pic I've just taken, I have some others taken during construction, they are stored away on disc but I'll see if I can find some later, might give you some idea of what's involved + inspiration...to make a better job than I did...!

J.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:20:23 am »

I've built the Mary Ann for radio control. It is probably one of my favourite boats for sailing.

If you look at the Luton Model Boat Club website you will find a few photos of the build which may help.

I suggest that you sort out all the R/C conversion details before you start the hull planking and ensure that
you can remove and replace all items including the rudder servo through the holes in the deck.

Link to the website here :-      http://lutonmodelboat.co.uk/frame_maryann.html

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:05 am »

Here's a link to a Cux 87 build...R/C conversion quite possible, choices ..choices.

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13609&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

J.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:13:05 am »

Thank you guys for all your advice and help, I have been looking around online I have come accross another boat I like I will just have to make my mind up I have £500 and it's burning a hole in my wallet lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.