Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanguard Launched.....Finaly!  (Read 4617 times)

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
Vanguard Launched.....Finaly!
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:34:05 pm »

Hi! My name is Jim, I live in Cambridge and this is one of my first posts so I hope it is uderstandable! I'm also fairly new to the submarine scene and it's been a steep learning curve, to say the least, but it hasn't put me off at all!
This is my first effort at a sub since I built a Robbe U47 many years ago, which I converted to a static diver with an Engel 750mm tank. I sold that but always hankered after a nuke with a pumped tank. I then discovered the OTW Vanguard hull and fell in love with it's unusual shape and decided that was the one for me,along with their dive unit. This is the finished result after many hours of trimming and a change in battery from a 12v 4.4amp to a 12vv 3.3amp - this helped imensely with stopping the bow from a suicide dive that could not be relieved if I was to get a true to life (as near as) water line. I could not get a battery set under the tank as it is a snug fit in the hull and only has a 5mm clearance under it. I used a bit of titanium that I got a friend to machine up for the bow planes link and brass for the rear's... setting those up was like papering the hall through a letter box. The lettering for the hull was done with BECC white letters and coloured with the appropriate felt pen and excess wiped off and the result pleased me anyway. I got the water line reference from various actual photos and the colour from a shot taken in dry dock of one going through refit.... very dirty so I toned it down a bit as it was too extreme for me!
  I am indebted to Dennis Pond for his patient help and test tank.... and three days of his life!! That and the blue foam and lead.... moved about no end of times but we got there! I'd also like to thank Bob Dimmack at OTW for all his help and forbearance when I asked for a bigger water tank.... long story but it has helped loads.

Hope you like it.
Jim

bassplayer1

Re: Vanguard Launched.....Finaly!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:30 pm »

Great job! I like the weathering!!! :-))

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:26:25 pm »

Well done, does it go as good as it looks? Glad you finally got the ballast sorted. Are we going to see her at the St Albans Sub Weekend in the summer?

wartsilaone

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

I'm not really a sub man but i know a good model when i see one, Well done. If you can make it to Norwich, there is a warship day on the 8th May at Eaton park. You will be most welcome.

Davy1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »

Hi Jim,

Welcome back to submarines!

Lovely job.  Yours must be the only model sub with a titanium linkage!

See you at Norwich or some of the other events which the AMS attends. See the events page on:

http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/

David Forrest

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »

I agree with the previous comments, excellent weathering job. Drydock photos are invaluable for this sort of model.. :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:03:41 pm »

Very nice- my favourite modern Nuke. What's the turning circle like?

Andy

Tutssy

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

Nice job!

How did you manage to get so much detail in the dry dock pic?   {-)  :-))

Regards  Al

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »

A question to those more knowledgable than me:

In the drydock picture, there's a rim of green weed around the waterline. That's surface-dwelling weed that needs sunlight. These subs stayed submerged for weeks on patrol. Wouldn't the weed die and fall off? Why's it still present?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

The sub has probably been sitting, tied up , waiting for the funds to become available to refit her!!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:50 pm »

Hi and Many Thanks for all the great comments!

"Well done, does it go as good as it looks? Glad you finally got the ballast sorted. Are we going to see her at the St Albans Sub Weekend in the summer?"
Mankster Yes - I hope to be at St Albans on either the Saturday or Sunday - depends on work. As regards performance, it goes down parallel with a full tank and just a few touches brings it back to periscope depth.... that was in a test tank and at the pond - not sure what it's do in chlorinated but it'll be a laugh finding out!

I'm not really a sub man but i know a good model when i see one, Well done. If you can make it to Norwich, there is a warship day on the 8th May at Eaton park. You will be most welcome.
Thanks for that and the invite - would like to come  - will check out the diary....!!

Very nice- my favourite modern Nuke. What's the turning circle like?

Andy
Hi Andy - the turning circle is a bit on the large side on the surface but submerged, with the two rudders then working, it improves alot!

Again  - Thanks for the feed back - much appreciated and I look forward to meeting up at one of the events.
Cheers
Jim

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:06 pm »

Good stuff I remember the discussions about get the waterline right. Looking forward to see how you fixed it.

Chris brought his Vanguard to Brockwell and should be ther at StAlbans too - will be nice to see them together.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:11:03 pm »

Oh and by the way its pretty much fresh unchlorinated water at StAlbans.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27666.0

There were no radio problems at Brockwell either, I parked my boat at the bottom of the deep with no issues.

ChrisN

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

Hi Jim,

I loved seeing your Vanguard at St. Albans.  :-)) It was nice chatting to you, and thanks for the periscope photo, I've been after that detail for some time. In the meantime I've got to replace another rudder servo - the boat seems to eat them for some reason. Shame we never go a photo of them in the water together.

Chris.

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:40 pm »

Nice to me you too, Chris -  wish I had your skill at moulding! It's  great model you have built - and from scratch..... something I have always admired in other models. I went through several servo's when I had a Robbe U47 and activated the front planes. I tried a number of micro types  but always stripped gears - I can only assume that the hydrodynamic forces were just too much. I settled on a low profile metal geared jobby - used for undercarriage in large model aircraft and that is still running several years and another owner later.
I have a disc of photo's that OTW gave me of the Vanguard - if you have an e-mail I can TRY and send them that way or else fail I can copy the disc and post it or had it too you at the next meet we are at. PM me.
Regards
Jim

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »

What I do is use my free Photobucket account. Just upload the photos to there, then you can send an invitation to whoever wants the photos for reference. It's what I do- lot simpler than burning CD's.

bonehead

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »

What I do is use my free Photobucket account. Just upload the photos to there, then you can send an invitation to whoever wants the photos for reference. It's what I do- lot simpler than burning CD's.

Probaly something I should do but haven't yet. I have some minor "issues" with my laptop at the moment  <*< -  it need's a bit of tlc from a man/woman that know's ..... and that ain't me! Once it's speed is sorted I'll invest in photo bucket as, like you say, it'll make life easier!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.