Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plan.....  (Read 2231 times)

Matt.H

Plan.....
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:25:42 pm »

Hello
I've had two kit models and have built them with great fun, i  now have purchased  plan of this=
Vosper 71' 6" MTB
Model Boat Plan: MAR2151
1:32nd scale plans for a practical working model. On three sheets, one showing scale drawings and two detailing construction in balsa and plasticard for a single electric motor driven model, 690mm. long and 190mm. beam. All main components shown full size. Designed by Les Brown.

On the advertisment its length is 69 cm but on the plans it measures at 90cm, does any one no why?
Thanks matt
P.S if any one has any other helpful tips or anything about hat boat please say. :}

allnightin

Re: Plan.....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »

Hi Matt,

I did that one when it first came out in the 1980s.  I can't get at the model just now to check the actual length but 90cm sounds too long - 71' 6" = about 680mm at 1/32nd scale.

Here's a couple of photos of mine

Francis Macnaughton

Matt.H

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »

Thanks, that looks great (hope that i can make half the job of that :-))) But on your plans where they drawn to actual size as mine read around 90cm when it sais in the article that its 69cm???.
Hope for a reply  :P thanks matt

kiwi

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:13 am »

At 900mm long that's 1/24th scale
kiwi

allnightin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:15:33 am »

Matt,

My model is 69cm long overall and 19 cm beam.  However, after thinking back to around 1988 when I built it and looking at the MMI issue that announced the plan, I used the picture of the plan sheet 2 of 3 shown in MMI Oct/Nov 87 on page 35 and used that, scaled up by a factor of 4.513 to get the size and shape of the main keel, main deck, chine deck and bulkheads. The detail was taken from the main drawing on page 37 of the article, supplemented by various John Lambert drawings I already had (I built a later war version with two 20mm gun mountings).  So in fact I didn't use the plan as actually printed!

The Les Brown article says " The model was built to a scale of 3/8in to 1 foot, giving an overall length of just under 27 inches."

If your plan is genuinely 90cm overall, then, as kiwi said, it seems to have been printed at something very close to 1/24th scale.  Your options seem to be to either build it at that scale or get it photo reduced to 76.7% of the size it is currently or complain to the supplier and see if they will sort it out. 

Send me a pm if you want any more on the original article.

Francis

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »

Matt

Just a thought
Are all the drawings, on all 3 sheets, to the same scale?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Matt.H

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

Yes they all do seem to be the same scale for instance the Keel drawing is the exact same length as the finished article picture many thanks matt.

allnightin

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

Hi Matt,

If you haven't already started on the MTB using the MMI plan, you could have a look at the latest Model Boats with a free Glynn Guest version of the same type of boat which is the right size and with 8 pages on building it etc!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.